Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:20:55 AM(UTC)

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/5/2010(UTC)
Posts: 32

If I file my disability paperwork, can my employer let me go. Im currently on light duty and seeking tx for a mental health issue. Im afraid that if I file the disability paperwork, that the department is going to let me go because see no future investment. If I file my paperwork and they terminate me, do I get to keep my insurance? Or is that just Cobra? Really confused as to what to do. The stress at work is unbearable and is not conducive to healing. My doctor supports my disability and is 1 of 6 dual certified MD/Psychiatrist in the country. UVA Staff!! Any recommendations would be helpful!!Confused

#2 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 11:33:08 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,677

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Wouldn't every Psychiatrist need to be a MD. as well? Dual certified?
#3 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 2:31:48 PM(UTC)

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/19/2011(UTC)
Posts: 11

psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) specializing in psychiatry.  i guess they could let you go, but that would be a pretty crumby thing for them to do. +bad press.  are you a veteran and do you work at the va--and, is the reason you're retiring because of a sc disability.  if so,  i don't see them sending you anywhere.  

you can stay on your regular healthcare fehb, if they put you on lwop while your case is being adjudicated

if i were you, i'd get my md to write you for 90 120 days for fmla, the won't advance you leave if you've filed disability retirement--but if you're on lwop the agency pays gov shatre and yours (or you can pay upfront) then when you start getting your annuity, they'll collect your past fehb premiums from your lump sum or over time through your annuity.  cobra should be the last resort.
s/f<br />vr/semperpup<br /><br />one man with courage, is a majority.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.633 seconds.