Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mudpie  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:54:14 AM(UTC)
mudpie

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For those of you wondering the Geneva Convention as well as several other military regulations; specifically DOD 1000.1 define military and civilian grade equivalents.

For example: a GS-12 is equal to a O-4 and falls into Category 4
upandup  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:36:30 AM(UTC)
upandup

If you are a prisoner of war, this is important. Otherwise, not as helpful. There are no real equivalents between military and civilian personnel except for some general guidelines for protocol purposes. More useful is comparing job duties and responsibilities and what one's role is.
Knight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:57:57 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Duty position is the key in real life. But it would be nice to be placed in a position that is equal to your grade. Right now, I am working below my potentual as a GS-12 because we have to make room for the AD folk. Howver, last year when the AD folk were deployed I was working way above my grade.

Ah well, I'm getting paid the same so I should not grouse to much.
mudpie  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:58:27 PM(UTC)
mudpie

I agree with the exception of performance appraisals.  A 2LT should not be writing the performance appraisal or supervising (administratively not functionally) a GS-13 regardless of the position the 2LT is in.

Knight: If you were detailed into a higher graded position with equally higher responsibilities and tasks than your current OPM GS-12 series job description, that time should have been captured on an SF-52 or 50 and applied to your TIG or eligibility for the next higher pay grade.

Meaning if you are a GS-12, then detailed to cover a GS-13 position for 52 weeks, for example, you would technically be eligible to apply for GS-14 announcements. But that time has to be documented preferrably on a SF-52/50 or local Detail/TDY order.
mudpie2011-09-29 06:08:59
Knight  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:44:01 PM(UTC)
Knight

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Oh, I tried, but there is the rub. I was a GS-12 doing a Major's job. It did not have a GS PD for it so they claimed I was still in my GS-12 realm. Without some kind of apple to apple or apple to orange relationship they did not give me credit.

I am now trying to get the powers that be to create GS PDs for every AD position so that in the future we will know (at least for our unit) what GS can step in and do an AD position.
martyb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:08:23 PM(UTC)
martyb

Knight wrote:

I am now trying to get the powers that be to create GS PDs for every AD position so that in the future we will know (at least for our unit) what GS can step in and do an AD position.
Good idea, Knight.  I hope that works out.  Seems like a no-brainer idea to me, but you know how the military world works...if it makes sense, probably not happening! lol
Forum trolls to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed