Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KMJ123  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:30:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

When my organization went paybanding many years ago, if people where half-way to a scheduled raise when the switch happened then they got half a raise. That was easy to do when they were say a year into a step 4 within a certain Grade and therefore not jumping Grades or Bands as the case may be. In your case it depends how they break out the bands. If 11's and 12's are combined into one band then you will probably get a % raise. If they are split and 11's stay in a lower band and 12's with a higher band (which is what happened in our case), then you may have to wait for your next periodic review and trust "the Man" to ***p you up to the next band. I would suspect that if, for you, going from 11 to 12 is a standard, non-competitive pay raise then they would have to give you a % raise when you go to paybanding and then when your next eval comes around is when you would have a shot at the other %. This should all be spelled out in a HR document somewhere.
Lost In CA  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:11:33 AM(UTC)

Kevlar,

This is mostly speculation on my part, but here goes...

The entire department does not necessarily have to switch to pay banding at the same time. Some agencies may serve as pilot programs.

If paybanding is implemented before you reach 12, KMJ123's description of the prorated buy-out for grade/step increases will probably apply. However, given the amount of time it's taking DoD to get down this road, I'm guessing you'll have your promotion before the change happens.
Kevlar  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:24:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm a little more at ease now..
DeborahCosby  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2006 11:24:54 PM(UTC)

I don't know what step you are as a GS 11, but if you are at a step 4 or higher you may still be in for a shock. You won't get a $10,000 increase when you go to a GS12. It's deceiving. I had the same thought until I saw my payslip. My increase ended up being about $5,000 for the year.

Unless you are going from a GS 11 step 1 to a GS 12 step 1, forget it. The increase gets smaller and smaller the higher you are in the steps.

Find your step on the pay scale. Add 2 steps to it. Look at the GS 12 steps to see which one it's close too. Chances are you will be a GS 12-1. and it won't be a $10,000 diff. Not one to complain. Its still a great increase. and as my manager informed me. "Great, now you can start getting yearly step increases again. "Yeah right". I'd rather get paid for 2 years in a row at a higher rate instead of waiting for a step increase every year. You'll get the $10,000, it will just take you 3 years or more to get it.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed