Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sisterwomen  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 08, 2011 9:09:41 PM(UTC)
sisterwomen

Groups: Registered

According to govexec.com, several FEHB participants will be offering affinity benefits to same sex domestic partners in 2012. Here's a link to the article.
http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=49021&oref=todaysnews

OPM's website has no information about this new benefit and I can't find any information about adding my same sex spouse to my FEHB coverage. Any information about this would be most appreciated.
RetirednHappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:20:31 PM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

Sister:  Read the article you provided. It states "While these choices won't be part of FEHBP and could provide more limited benefits, domestic partners will be able to enroll on their own and pay all premium costs."  That means the affinity benefits are NOT part of the FEHB program, but can be purchased separately.  There will be no OPM info, as it is NOT part of the OPM-based Federal Employee Health Benefits Program. Understanding English could help. Good luck !
sisterwomen  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2011 1:30:32 AM(UTC)
sisterwomen

Apparently the govexec.com article contains false information.
Representatives from one of the health providers listed as providing this benefit, Kaiser, informed me that there is no such affinity benefit available.
Thanks to the above poster for the snarky "understanding english" remark. Very classy.

upandup  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:09:36 AM(UTC)
upandup

Given that information may not have made it to the reps about this *future* benefit, Kaiser may well actually be offering something next year. Of course, it may be expensive with little coverage, too, so maybe not worth the wait.

fedman53  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:12:31 AM(UTC)
fedman53

Have you looked at any of the available 2012 online booklets under "Non-FEHB benefits available to Plan members"? This may(??) have a similar structure as TCC
upandup  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:20:53 AM(UTC)
upandup

fedman53 wrote:
This may(??) have a similar structure as TCC

I think you're thinking of Conversion Coverage, which is quite different from TCC. TCC is the FEHB equivalent of COBRA: it extends the exact same FEHB coverage for a limited time with the enrollee paying all of the cost.

However, the official plan brochures would be a good place to look.
fedman53  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:37:00 PM(UTC)
fedman53

Agree, just saying seems 'new' benefit you would get some sort of coverage, but pay all the costs.

Looked at a couple 'national' plan (GEHA, APWU) brochures for 2012 (online). Neither has non-FEHB coverage including affinity benefits and neither has 'affinity member' in its definition of Self/family covered members.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed