Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MISSING LA  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:34:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I have been serving as an acting supervisor for a year and have not been paid for the additional responsibilities. I have asked for an SF-50 to document that I have served as a supervisor but the Agency has not issued one. What can I do to get the credit and/ or the pay.

[This message was edited by MISSING LA on February 15, 2006 at 11:36 AM.]

[This message was edited by MISSING LA on February 15, 2006 at 11:38 AM.]
kodiakbuyer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:55:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You don't say whether this was the same career field (job series) or if it was a different grade. You also need to check your position description to see if these ACTING duties are already in it.

I have been an "Acting Supervisor" in the past and my command promoted me temporarily to the higher grade PLUS I got a letter telling me thank you. This was a 90 day promotion.
That was Coast Guard though. DOD is DIFFERENT as are some other agencies.

In the OLD DAYS you couldn't be asked to work in a job at a greater grade for more than 30 days without it being documented by an SF50.
MISSING LA  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:22:24 AM(UTC)

It is same job series( higher grade with the title) and my job description does not include supervisory duties. I have sent memos up the chain of command and have received no response.

The Agency is Homeland Security and there are a lot of individuals that are having to serve as acting supervisors( over 90 days) and are not receiving the pay nor is an SF-50 being cut to indicate that they have served as a supervisor. The SF-50 is important when it comes to competing for the supervisors position when it opens and the pay would be nice because I am doing the extra work.
bearpele  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 1:27:06 AM(UTC)

Did your agency detail you into the position?? Where you promised any pay increases for acting as the supervisor?? You can be acting supervisor without having any pay increase but would receive credit for being a supervisor if the SF50 was created. If I where in your shoes, I would start asking management where the documentation is for serving as acting supervisor. Having been both an acting supervisor - detailed to the position (received no pay increases) and later promoted into the position(pay increase) - I have both SF50.

Hoping everything works out for you.
alaskamigra  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:18:23 AM(UTC)

Yeah, but given this is Homeland Security Department, I am not at all surprised that they are either exempted from reasonable formalities, or incapable in management. Yes indeed, I also work in that Department (very low level).
rmcarty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:32:01 PM(UTC)

The rule is supposed to be that you can be detailed to a position with just a memorandum in your personnel file if it is for 30 days or less. If you are detailed for more than 30 days it is supposed to go on a SF-52 to get updated in your career brief. If the the detail is going to exceed 120 days at the end of 120 days the position must be advertised because it isn't a detail. That is if you are performing the duties of another position at a higher grade level, for example, someone in the organization leaves and you do their work until a replacement is hired. If you aren't assuming the entire position, just the supervisory duties, it needs to be documented in memorandum form and input for skill coding as part of your current position by someone in HR. Once it has been reflected in the skill coding, if you're going to be retaining the duties permanently, you can request a desk audit based on the skill coding.
BonnaTX  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2006 1:33:34 AM(UTC)

Understand after the 120 days either someone else (if available) is assigned the Acting duties or the position has to be announced. There are 4 senior persons in our office that have been slotted to Act until the position is announced. We also lost our Division Manager, so that position is slotted to be filled first. Until the Division is filled they are not going to announce for our Manager’s position. I Acted in the Manager’s position for 112 days in mid 2005. The rotation will return to me in August 2006. Will I and my co-workers who have completed a rotation be allowed to Act again within one year if initially we did not complete a full 120 days?
rmcarty  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:48:19 AM(UTC)

I didn't forget about you. I just can't find anyone who can answer the question, although everyone agrees there is something suspect about making you guys take turns.
brac srvivr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:52:51 PM(UTC)

I don't think there is anything suspect about it. Anytime an organization can "dangle the carrot" of a promotion and get someone to fill the billet without pay and mostimes without documentation, it will do it.
If I can hire someone at a GS-9 level and get them to fulfill the duties of the job at the GS-11 level,
I may have had marginal performance at that GS-11 level but I don't have to go to my boss and ask for a budget increase to pay for what I am already getting for free.
KStratford  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2006 2:17:36 AM(UTC)

Almost 2 years ago, my co-worker (boss)-Manager resigned. SHe was a GS-13; I was a GS-11. Since we are a two-person office, I assumed all (with some collaboration from a higher graded person) duties of running the office. 6 months later I was told I would get a GS-12, but a freeze was put in our division. With a waiver, last month I was promoted to GS-12. Still doing two people's work. Nationwide lead person is GS-13 or a few are GS-14s. No temporary promotion was ever granted me. Is this legal? Any suggestions on what I can do?
daystar  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:45:27 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It's not the quantity of work that determines your grade. You could be doing the work of 5 men and be a GS-5. If you are doing all the duties in the GS-13 PD, then you should be paid as a GS-13. You can skip a grade if there is no intervening position in the normal line of progression in your office. So, you can skip GS-12 and be promoted to GS-13.
MURDOCK58  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:56:41 PM(UTC)

quote:
Originally posted by MISSING LA:
I have been serving as an acting supervisor for a year and have not been paid for the additional responsibilities. I have asked for an SF-50 to document that I have served as a supervisor but the Agency has not issued one. What can I do to get the credit and/ or the pay.

[This message was edited by MISSING LA on February 15, 2006 at 11:36 AM.]

[This message was edited by MISSING LA on February 15, 2006 at 11:38 AM.]

Hope this helps. I was in the same position but the agency did give me an SF-50

http://www.opm.gov/classapp/fact/fact.pdf

http://www.opm.gov/fedclass/
sig98pol  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:35:00 AM(UTC)

You have a right agree with management. If you need help, contact your union rep if you are not in management. If you are a career employee, and are RIF'd, the time and money you are not making could be lost.

It sounds to me like you need to talk to someone OUTSIDE of Personnel and Labor Relations.
Ernest Bowles  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:26:47 AM(UTC)

I have been serving as an Acting Supervisor for 19 months. The Supervisory Position is the same grade as my permanent staff position. The job was advertised a month ago governmentwide, but it looks like the process will take a couple more months.

Do I have any reassignment rights into this position because I have acted in it for so long?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed