Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dustinh1  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 12:53:06 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone!

I was recently offered a position down in New Orleans as a Management Analyst.  I was informed by HR that I passed  background and I've activated my federal ID, but that the money was still not in place after the new fiscal year to fund the job.  Anyone with any experience on the timeline of jobs after a new fiscal year?  Seems it's just a waiting game, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
AFE2011  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 9:37:21 PM(UTC)
AFE2011

Dustin,

I think we accepted the same position in different parts of the country. I am in the same holding pattern you are in. It is very frustrating. HUD HR has limited information and is trying their best. I did go up the chain of command and the response has been that they have no idea when the hold will be released. It could go on for a long time. There is presently no hiring freeze at HUD so I am not sure what is going on.

If anyone on this forum has any information as to how to navigate this situation I would be grateful as well.
dustinh1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:46:21 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Greetings AFE2011,

I believe we did indeed.  From what I've gleaned, HUD is waiting on federal funding in the new fiscal year to go through.  Luckily, the HUD appropriations bill (H.R. 2112) hits the Senate this week and they're looking to vote on it on Thursday or Friday.  The Senate Appropriations Committee passed it a while back unanimously so I don't believe there will be too many issues for it to get to the President's desk. 

If anyone else has any insight into this process, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Fed7  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:43:23 AM(UTC)
Fed7

I was relieved to see that I am not alone in this holding pattern.  It sounds like I may have a fairly inexperienced HR contact - she didn't really explain anything to me although I asked for more information on more than one occasion.  She just keeps telling me I have not cleared the background check yet.  I don't anticipate any issues there - my life isn't that exciting.  

Can either of you enlighten me on how long it took to complete your background check?  Any information on this or any other updates on the budget would be greatly appreciated also!

Thanks so much!!        
dustinh1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:19:38 PM(UTC)
dustinh1

Fed7,

It's hard for me to say how long my background check took as I never received formal indication that it was over.  I found out I passed as I was able to go to DC and activate my ID card (they couldn't give it to me because I'm still waiting for a start date).  I'd say it took something like three weeks for everyone contacted to respond, but I couldn't say with any certainty.  

As for the budget, the Senate wrapped up amendments for HUD's budget last night.  Unfortunately it's still going to be a wait for things to become law.  Senate is on break this coming week and will pass the appropriations bill officially  early the week after, then the Senate and House need to combine their versions of the bill and pass that between both House and Senate.  It then goes to Obama who has ten days to sign before it automatically becomes law.  If the hold-up is indeed passage on budget for FY2012, it probably won't happen until at least Thanksgiving....however, I could be wrong on that.

Nice to know I'm not the only one waiting!

AFE2011  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 2:52:13 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

Fed7,

I am in the same position you are in.   Waiting and waiting with limited information and no answers to questions. I am glad we have all made contact and can share information in the days ahead. I am hoping that time will resolve this issue and that patience will be rewarded but I have my moments where the lack of information totally depresses me. Keep in touch.
Fed7  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 7:11:23 AM(UTC)
Fed7

Thank you so much for the info, Dustin!  I feel the same way, AFE2011!!  I was beginning to wonder if I even had a job, but my status on USA JOBS still shows "Selected".  LOL  There's definitely comfort in numbers and knowing that we can share information with each other helps immensely.  If I hear anything at all, I will certainly update you both and please do the same. 

Have a nice weekend!!     

AFE2011  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 5:27:20 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

Just a quick note to every one out there in a holding pattern. As the week begins, I hope we get some good news. Its hard not to be discouraged about all of this but I believe hanging in there is worth it.

Has anyone heard anything new?

dustinh1  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 7:32:02 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Hey AFE!

Still no word on this side from HR or from HUD.  Having a look at the New Hires section of FederalSoup (http://federalsoup.federaldaily.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=17&title=new-hire-or-looking-to-be-hired), the ones that state their own personal time lines for various positions in the federal gov't, some got their EODs within weeks after being told they were selected for their job, others as long as six months.  For those seeking security clearances, it can take even longer.  

If the issue is indeed budget, the Senate is finally looking to finalize (and hopefully pass) HR 2112 on Nov. 1st.  So it looks like it may be enacted into law sometime within the next month hopefully and HUD can get its money.  

Again, hard to say for sure.  Just keep waiting!  It'll all get figured out eventually.  Also, as soon as you guys get your EOD, let me know!
Fed7  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 12:34:51 PM(UTC)
Fed7

Hi AFE and Dustin!  Still no word in my world either, but I will let you both know if I hear anything at all, I promise.  Hope you have a good week and let's just stay in touch.  :-)    

dustinh1  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:44:49 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Hey all,

The Senate just passed HR 2112.  Unsure when the House will look over the changes, but once it happens, it's onto the prez for a signature!
AFE2011  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:28:53 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

I saw the same thing. I hope this is the beginning of the end of our waiting period.   I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I was never able to find out how far along I was in the security screening process but I am hoping there is no delay.

How is everybody else holding up?

Fed7  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:09:40 PM(UTC)
Fed7

Thanks so much for the update!  I'm hanging in there - just hoping this bill will fund our positions.  I just can't imagine how they offer positions and then we get stuck in a holding pattern for months with no communication.  An explanation from Human Resources would have gone a LONG way!  I did some looking around on the web tonight and thought you all might be interested in the below.  Not exactly sure what it means for us.  I really appreciate having this board so we can keep up with one another.  I'll let you know if and when I hear anything from my end.  Please do the same.  Like you AFE, I have no idea where I was in the screening process either. 

Senate Passes "Minibus" with CJS and T-HUD Approps

PDF

Print

Written by Marcia Smith

Tuesday, 01 November 2011 16:24

This afternoon the Senate passed the "minibus" appropriations bill (H.R.
2112) that combines three of the regular appropriations bills into one,
including funding for NASA, NOAA and the FAA's Office of Commercial Space Transportation (AST).

The Commerce-Justice-Science (CJS) bill includes NASA and NOAA. 
The Transportation-Housing and Urban Development (T-HUD) includes AST.  The third bill in the package is Agriculture.

The vote was 69-30.

The
bill now goes to the House where its future is unclear.  The most
recent reports indicate that the House will, in fact, accede to the
Senate's approach to the appropriations bills for FY2012, dealing with
them in groups instead of combining all 12 into a single "omnibus"
package.  Omnibus bills have become common in recent years and initially it appeared the House preferred that method.

The House and
Senate appropriations committees were fairly far apart in their
recommendations for NASA.  The House committee approved $16.8 billion,
and, among other things, recommended terminating the James Webb Space
Telescope (JWST) program.   The Senate approved $17.9 billion and
recommended increasing JWST funding by $156 million so it could be
launched in 2018 instead of years later.  The President's request for NASA was $18.7 billion, of which $374 million was for JWST.

The
two also were far apart on overall funding for NOAA.  The House
committee approved $4.5 billion; the Senate approved $5.0 billion.  The
request was $5.5 billion.   However, regarding the Joint Polar Satellite
System (JPSS), the two are quite close:  $901 million in the House
versus $920 million in the Senate, compared to the request of $1.07 billion.

The two also were fairly close in their recommendations
for AST, approving about half of what the President requested.  The
request was $26.6 million, a significant increase from its FY2011 level
of $15 million.  The House committee approved $13 million, while the Senate approved $15 million.

After the House passes its bill,
with whatever amendments are adopted, the two chambers will have to
reach a compromise and the President will have to agree with it, so
there still are several steps to go.  Today's action, however, moves the
process closer to providing certainty to at least some federal agencies as to their FY2012 funding levels.

The government is currently
operating under a Continuing Resolution that expires on November 18.  
Congress will need to pass some sort of appropriations bill(s) before
then to avoid a full or partial government shutdown. 

AFE2011  
#14 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 3:26:39 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

Fed7,

I feel the same way -very frustrated. I went through the entire interview process and asked many detailed questions about the budget, funding etc. I was given assurances each time I asked a question. At no time during my process was I informed of a budget or funding hold. It was only when I prodded HR in Washington was I made known of this.   Had I known of any possible delay from the start I would have charted a different transition process.

Its very hard to work through this entire process with no knowledge as to how it will end.   I have yet to find a person who has detailed knowledge as to what is going on and how it will be resolved or what it takes to establish start dates for our position.

I am hanging in there but it gets harder as the time passes. The uncertainty is most depressing.
AFE2011  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 5:17:46 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

I want to be as optimistic as anytone but one has to ask Does HR 2112 really solve the problem of our respective start dates?

Here is why I ask? I am no legislative expert but based on my research it appears that HR 2112 is piecemeal attempt to fund the government and avoid another continuing resolution when the current one expires on November 18th. The means that all the appropriation pieces must be in place before November 18th or another CR must be passed. Does anyone honestly believe all the pieces will be in place in the next two weeks?

My communicaiton with HUD Human Resources always stresses that our start dates are delayed because of the Continuting resolution. I have some questions about this but agree or disagree this is what I have been told. Now if we go to another CR after November 18th then there is no question in my mind that the delays will continue indefinitely.   

The question before us then is how does this stalemate and cycle of delays get broken? This entire hiring experience with HUD has been very stressful for me.   I appreciate the fact that the majority of HR staffers have limited information but when I look back at this entire process I see point after point where additional information and clarifications would have helped people make better and more informed decisions.

HUD staff are trying their best for all of us with what they have but I have to ask where, when and how does this all end?

Right now I see no way our cases can be resolved before the end of the Calendar year. If someone does I would love to hear the argument. In the meantime, one has to wonder what HUD is going to do with regards to hiring staff? There is going to be some movement somewhere, sometime but the question is still out there as to what happens to us.

I see our thread here has gotten a decent amount of attention and views. If there is anyone lurking out there who can share their experience and information I think it would certainly go a long way to help this stressful experience.
spence  
#16 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 5:24:19 AM(UTC)
spence

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

HR 2112 isn't just a continuing resolution.  It's full fiscal-year appropriations for the agencies it covers.

spence2011-11-04 13:30:32
dustinh1  
#17 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 5:47:55 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Indeed a CR would mean continued delays in the process.  However, HR 2112 has now passed both the Senate and House and both sides have had a conference to talk about the differences between their respective versions.  Assuming Obama likes the final product, it'll become law within at least 10 days.  HR 2112 funds agriculture, transportation and housing departments.  HUD will get its funding soon (a lot of other departments won't by Nov. 18th, but HUD will have theirs first before anyone).
AFE2011  
#18 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 6:34:40 AM(UTC)
AFE2011

Okay, can someone help me understand the relationship between HR2112 and the CR that could happen on November 18th?

Maybe these questions can help.....

1)If HR 2112 is not signed before November 18th then does HUD operate on the new CR?

2)IF HR 2112 is law before November 18th but other appropriations for agencies not included in HR2112 are not law does the whole Fed government have to operate under the new CR or only those parts not appropriated by legislation?

3)If HR 2112 is law after the CR of November 18th then which funding source takes priority the CR or HR 2112?

I have to admit this is all confusing to me. If we have any legislative experts out there I would love to hear from you.

I know HUD Staff is trying their best in all of this but what I am most stressed about is the path that gets us out of these woods.   It would be great to know what the roadmap out of the delays are......
dustinh1  
#19 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 9:34:12 PM(UTC)
dustinh1

I also don't have substantial experience in federal budgeting beyond a few classes in graduate school, but I'll try and answer these to the best of my ability!  It's all a little unclear, isn't it?

1.) I don't know the answer for this one for sure.  However, I believe the new appropriations bill would replace the continuing resolution in this situation, but I can't find this happening before...If it isn't the case, continuing resolutions are generally for short periods of time (like 15 days to a month) so it won't take long for the next CR to come and go if it comes down to that.

2.) The appropriations process has twelve sections which are supposed to be written and signed by Oct. 1st into law.  Each section is separate from one another.  Sending through the entire fiscal year plan through both House and Senate would be impossible.  It's just too much all at once.  So once each section is sent through, it becomes law and every department under that section of the appropriations process gets its funding.  

HR 2112 actually combines three of the twelve sections.  Once they've been passed, the departments under this bill will get their funding.  A new CR would only fund those agencies who do not have a plan for funding for FY 2012.  This is great for HUD because its among the first agencies being considered.  However, the process will continue for other agencies and some (like USAID last year) will not get their funding until much later this year.  

3.)  I'm not sure about this one, but I believe HR 2112 would supplant any continuing resolutions afterwards (or the CR would have language in it which did not involve agencies affected by HUD).

Now, I could be wrong about this.  I'm basing this upon governmental budgeting classes I've taken so if anyone has any additional information, that would be fantastic!
dustinh1  
#20 Posted : Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:50:14 AM(UTC)
dustinh1

Here's an article which kind of explains what I was talking about:  http://www.spacenews.com/policy/111104-nasa-funding-added-minibus.html
Rss Feed  Atom Feed