Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Geek  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:14:20 AM(UTC)
Geek

Groups: Registered

I may have an opportunity for a detail.  I don't know much about how they work so I'm seeking information.  My main question is this:  if one is detailed to a position, can one then be transferred into that position permanently at the end of the detail?

geo8909  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:18:49 PM(UTC)
geo8909

A detail is a temporary reassignment to a different job, without any increase in pay.  
If they decide to fill the job permanently, you have to compete for it at that time.  You can't automatically move to the permanent positon from the detail.  However, the detail could put you in a great position to compete for the job because of the experience you'll be gaining and the opportunity to show them what a great employee you are.   But there's never any promise that you'll get the permanent job.
mudpie  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:57:38 PM(UTC)
mudpie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

All requests for details to unclassified duties for 120 days or less will be submitted by the gaining office (office requesting the detail) to the Personnel Office. The request will include an SF-52 signed by both the requesting and approving officials and a statement of the duties to be performed while on the detail. Approval by OPM is required to detail employees to unclassified duties for more than 120 days.

If detailed into a position of higher grade classification such time must be documented and will count towards TIG requirements.
read this:
http://www.opm.gov/feddata/gppa/gppa14.pdf
Rss Feed  Atom Feed