Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
freedom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:34:17 PM(UTC)
freedom

Groups: Registered

I've been on Workers Comp for several years.  Applied for DR in May 2010.  Sent to Boyers in August 2010.  Assigned CSA Sept 2010.  Received disapproval letter April 2011. (yes, it took that long!) My attorney submitted reconsideration package (after requesting and was granted an extension) August 2011.  Assigned to caseworker on September 9, 2011.  My question:  After dealing with this OPM of a nightmare for 18 months, I was wondering if anyone requested recon of their DR and how long it took for an answer.  Seems many folks here have had some success in terms of receiving fairly quick decisions.  I think they must have put my package on the bottom.  Would just like to put this chapter behind me.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  In case anyone is interested, my injuries are several herniated discs and cervical radiculopathy.  Many thanks.
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 1:23:34 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have read here that stage 2 is quicker. Not my experience. Stage one, 3 months. Stage 2, 6 months, finalization was 5 months.
Pugcrazy  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 6:45:58 AM(UTC)
Pugcrazy

I'm in the same boat! It took me 10 months to get a DENIAL and I submitted my request for reconsideration 6 weeks ago! It's maddening how long this process takes!
freedom  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:52:01 AM(UTC)
freedom

Thanks GSBS.  I would have thought recon took longer...more scrutiny.  As everyone else, I'm on pins and needles and just want this to be over.  It's ironic isn't it...you work for the gov't, DR is a right, and OPM acts like it's not our money.  It's a difficult decision to decide to go out on DR, emotionally and financially.  If we have all made that difficult decision despite the huge reduction in our income, you would OPM would view that as, "...geez, they must really be disabled from working."  Instead, they view us as some piranhas, out to screw the system.  I guess I just have to wait it out.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.
freedom  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:53:27 AM(UTC)
freedom

I hear you pugcrazy.  You and I both submitted our recons at about the same time.  I'm rooting for you pug. I hope you hear soon and their decision is favorable.  
Pugcrazy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:19:57 PM(UTC)
Pugcrazy

Same to you!  I found out who my "case manager" is...I tried calling her number, but all I get is a message indicating that her message box is full - oy vey.  I'm hoping that it goes through the second time - I provided TWO extensive narratives from my treating physician and a second opinion Dr, both saying that I couldn't perform several of the duties of my position (they both really elaborated).  

I hope you get good news!   Keep me posted!
freedom  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:07:57 AM(UTC)
freedom

Hi Pug,

Just wanted to let you know that my attorney advised me OPM reconsiderations are averaging 120 days.  So I guess I have a bit of a wait.  Hope all is well with you.

Pugcrazy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:10:56 AM(UTC)
Pugcrazy

Holy Toledo! 6 months? I'll be dead by then......I found out the name of the case manager that has my file and have put in a call to her, for what it's worth. I left a voice message on her direct line asking her to call me to discuss my application and to allow me to answer any of her questions. I've not heard anything from her but will try back periodically.....but won't be a nuisance. If it gets too drawn out, I plan to get my Congressman involved.

Have you made inquiries?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed