Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
figtree  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 3:44:21 AM(UTC)
figtree

Groups: Registered

I am post op 3 wks for my knee replacement...Home PT didn't begin until I was home for a week and I will be D/C'd from homecare next Friday. My assigned "Field" nurse appears to be hyper about when I'm starting out patient PT. She says she "needs to know in advance" who I will be using. She claims she "needs" to speak with them before I even begin.

What's up with that? Is this par for the course? Why does she have to speak with out patient PT before I even begin? What could they possibly tell her? She's been fairly useless when it came to answering any questions I had on "procedures"...now she's all over this like white on rice! Three calls in a week!

Any insights on what I can expect would be greatly appreciated.
rambo13  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 4:09:52 AM(UTC)
rambo13

Just give her your Attorney info and let her call your Attorney.
I had one that try to do that and told she will have to deal my Attorney and she was taken off of my case.

jesse slade  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 5:53:05 AM(UTC)
jesse slade

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The Field Nurse program is voluntary. If your nurse is doing more harm than good, you can stop volunteering any information, etc...

The Filed Nurse should be used to your advantage to get the services, treatment, etc...you require. If they're not helping your case, you may want to consider having them removed from your case.

Whale wall  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2011 7:53:15 AM(UTC)
Whale wall

You need to get rid of the Field Nurse, end of story.
figtree  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:56:27 AM(UTC)
figtree

Thanks. I don't have an attorney as I felt one wouldn't be needed since this is a relatively straight forward case.
When they first assigned a field nurse, I argued with the CE about the need for one. I said the Gov't. was wasting money on the FN since I was doing all the work of moving my case forward...why did I need a middleman? The CE said I could refuse but she would have to bump my case up to her supv. and that this might slow down the authorization. BS, I know, but in order to expedite matters I agreed to the FN. Fortunately my Dr is in NYC and she would never travel there. She has proven to be less than useless. She never advised my Dr's office they had to register with ACS or how to submit the appropriate ICD codes...I did! 

Ironic, I was waiting from the end of May until my sugery was authorized the end of August with no advocacy or urgency from the FN. Now, she can't wait to talk to the out pt PT before I even begin. The only reason I can think of is she wants to dictate to the PT how fast my therapy should go.

I'm concerned that if I drop her now it might open a whole new can of worms! I was thinking I just won't tell her who I'm going to until I'm well into therapy and have the PT office send all needed reports directly to DOL.

This whole WC set up is so A-s backwards...it boogles the mind!

rambo13  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:25:28 AM(UTC)
rambo13

None of those Field Nurse care about you or your medical care, their main job is to get you back to some kind of work and off of OWCP and your Employer pay rolls.
All of those FN are contracted to work for OWCP and them self not you.
You would be stupid to think that  FN care about your medical needs, the FN care about getting you back to work that's their main job.

Those FN will lie to you in front of your face, they don't give a damm about you.

At some point you will need an attorney.

in 02/2011 OWCP have one of those FN on my case, and when she come to my house i let her sit in my living room infront of a video camera, everything she said and did was on camera.
Don't trust those FN for nothing.

rambo132011-10-22 12:34:17
ToosieJoie  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:34:59 AM(UTC)
ToosieJoie

I had my 1st knee replaced May 2010.  Had a consequential condition and had to have the 2nd replaced in Nov 2010.  The 1st Knee had a case manager/nurse.

There is no way to know for sure when you will done with in house PT.  Ideally it is within 2 weeks then approximately 1 month outpatient.  I was fortunate to be part of the joint knee replacement at the hospital so they worked with the nurse.

The nurse was at all my visits including the physicians.  I was uncomfortable with her being there when I was talking to my physician.  I found out after it is not manadatory ... the dr can just provide a summary.

Keep it mind it is the nurse's responsibility to help coordinator all the care you need.  She is the liason.

Good luck!

P.S.  I highly recommend aqua therapy once you are done with the outpatient therapy ... it makes all the difference.
figtree  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:20:39 AM(UTC)
figtree

Thanks! It's been about eight weeks now and I think I have turned the corner! Now I just have to get my stamina back!!!

As far as the field nurse is concerned...She was more of a hinderance than a help when it came to coordinating and "acting" as a liason! I ended up being my own advocate and liason. I instructed all providers on how to tackle the OWCP "maze from hell" so they could get paid and coordinated all Dr's reports to be sent to OWCP.

I even noticed that one vender billed the DOL twice for an ice machine and made them aware of it (your tax dollars at work!!!).

Haven't heard from her for quite some time (good!)...it burns me up that she is getting paid for virtually doing nothing! Nice work, if you can get it.

I sure have "wised up!"

Rss Feed  Atom Feed