Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaruo  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2006 12:03:27 AM(UTC)
jaruo

Groups: Registered

I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs. And I am overqualified and under employed at my current position. I recently applied for a position that I thought would be more challenging (within the V.A, but different department). I interviewed and two weeks later, they sent me an email requesting a list of references. I gave it to them and they called my boss e.t.c. My boss told the director that I was interviewing and planning to leave, and she summoned me and offered me a raise in order to stay. I told her that I have not been offered a job yet.

My question is, I just learned that the department that I interviewed with, has offered the job to an outside candidate and I am very angry for:

1. Why did they have to call my boss for reference, and give him an impression that I may be leaving?
2. I am qualified for that position, and I fell that they wanted to hire this person all along
3. I am a 10-point veteran, and I think there is a law that can protect me

Does anyone know how I can proceed and file a claim i.e. through the equal opportunity, union, or congressman on this?
tazmand2006  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 01, 2006 7:31:12 AM(UTC)
tazmand2006

First, I would talk with your PMA at the VA HR Office to find out exactly what your rights are.

I have my resume on the DONHR and USAJOBS and either check "Yes" or "No" if I want my Supervisor current - past Supervisors contacted.

If you didn't want your immediate Supervisor contacted you should have let the person interviewing you know that up front. If you told them this and they still contacted your Boss then shame on them!

If you were offered a $$ Pay Raise $$ then it's obvious that they must think your a Great Worker otherwise they's be happy to let you go!

Take the Pay Raise and keep your current Position.

I'm also a 10-Pt. Vet, if you know all of the rules then it's much easier to try to pursue your claim.
daystar  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2006 11:53:14 AM(UTC)
daystar

Well, at least it sounds like your director likes you. If he hated you, he would have blocked any chance you had of getting that job and not offered you a pay raise. He would also make sure your life was hell until you got a transfer.

So, keep applying and you might catch the next one.
DeltaEcho  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:39:48 AM(UTC)
DeltaEcho

I wonder what the hiring practices should be. I be believe that people get promoted for being **** ups and not based on merit. People get hired not based on their abilities but based on who they know, regaurdless of the effect that it has on a particular shops moral. I have witnessed this first hand. It is sad that we work for the government and are supervised by people that are not as qualified as the workers. I am disgusted by the way in which people get into the federal system, as well as disgusted with some of the people that have been allowed to stay in it for so long and milk the system.
positive2010  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:13:48 AM(UTC)
positive2010

You think that's bad, try working for the US Postal Service.
Rick2456  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:03:14 AM(UTC)
Rick2456

Yes, I have friends who work for the USPS and from what I have heard, they are FAR FAR worse than the typical federal agency. But then again, where can one make 55K to sort and hand out mail?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed