Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Getting in  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:52:15 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Groups: Registered

I need some help. I was offerred both a PSE position as a clerk 1 day a week only at this point and a casual xmas position. I need some help making a decision.

1) Can I hold both postions? I was told I can, only if I accept and start the PSE before the xmas casual.

2)PSE states that you are entitiled to raises. Do you need to wait a year to be eligible? Is it up to the post master? I am being offerred a level 6 but the contract pay scale I believe is between a level 4 to a level 8.

3) Has anyone heard of or been transitioned from a PSE to a career employee?

4) If I take a PSE position at one PO can I transfer to a closer location to my home or am I locked in? Currently one is open in my city (3 miles away) but again depends on how my test score compares.

I am currently unemployed and need to make a decision soon. I could really use the xmas hours and pay. But at the same time if they dont keep me after xmas and I turn down PSE I have nothing.

BTW the PSE position is 50 miles each way, one day a week and has split *****s. The casual position is 3 miles away. I can make $13.20 with the night premium working as a casual or $14.60 one day a week as a PSE window clerk with potential for more hours, benefits etc. I need to make a decision tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

Window Clerk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:13:03 AM(UTC)
Window Clerk

For the PSE job how big of a split are you facing? How many hours will you get?

A hundred mile round trip is approx. 5 gallons of fuel. For simplicity sake, lets say it's $20 in gas.

I've seen all sorts of nasty splits. Start at 4:00AM till 7:00AM. Come back to close 3:00PM till 6:30PM.

Are you willing to hang around what potentially could be another 8 hours. Or make two round trips?

Try to pin them down to something specific as to the hours.

And even then it can change.

Getting in  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:34:48 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Window clerk,

I tried asking that every which way from sunday. I have been in sales for 10 years and consider myself prettty forward and outgoing. The problem as it was explained to me is they have never had a  PSE at this branch. So basically they have not data on the amount the previous person worked, number of hours etc. At 100 miles round trip and weather in winter in NY being no picnic their is no way I could come home and go back.

Any information on the other questions I had regarding holding PSE an casual at the same time, pay increase for PSE? etc.

Thanks
Getting in  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:36:22 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Forgot the to answer the other part of your question. Their saying 7-8 hours a week now and "as needed".

postalvet  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:57:24 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

"I was offered both a PSE position as a clerk 1 day a week only at this point and a casual xmas position."   wouldn't the casual be a carrier as there are no more casuals in the apwu crafts.  so a casual would get you more hours but only for a short time.  a PSE would be for one year.  still 50 miles would not make it worth it, in my opinion.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Getting in  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:02:05 AM(UTC)
Getting in

In NY State in all the major cities according to e career they are posting for xmas casual positions of which some stay on after xmas I was told by a supervisor. Now this may change and may be the last xmas for that because of the contract I dont know.

Their has to be other PSE's out thier that can shed light on whether they received more hours based on work performance or got only what they were told? anyone? please?
postalvet  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:12:15 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)

as I said casuals are only for carriers and mailhandlers.   PSE are inside work.  yes casuals could stay after the first of the first of the year.

http://www.21cpw.com/Article7.pdf

some PSE might get more hours but the union will be filling grievances if there are others getting shorted.  this is the only thihg PSE's are given;

GUARANTEED HOURS for PSE’s will be 2 hours of work or pay for any PSE who is scheduled to work and who reports.

postalvet2011-10-30 18:18:50
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Getting in  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:30:23 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Glad the union sold out all future employees for those already in.
Data Collector  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:22:11 AM(UTC)
Data Collector

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
wouldn't the casual be a carrier as there are no more casuals in the apwu crafts.

While there aren't any more casual clerks, I'm pretty sure that they still have casual mailhandlers.
penelope1440  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:40:46 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

Getting In -- A lot of dues paying union members are not satisfied with the contract.  However we must live with it because it was voted in.  I thought your questions related to whether you should be a pse or a casual.  If it wasn't for this contract you wouldn't have that option.  I think you are just here to stir the pot and get arguments started and not to get information at all. 
Getting in  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:53:03 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Penelope,
I am not here to stir the pot. For your information I was working for the postal service in numerous roles from 1997-2001. And I worked hard. Althought some of the answers on here were helpful the rest have been cookie cutter, see the contract link. I have read the contract word for word. The bottom line was we wont lay anyone off if you make it so future employees have less? How is that fair? I have worked for the postal service for 4 years and although the majority of workers are hard working and amazing their is a lot of dead weight. Right now 100,000 people are eligible to retire but wont. Step aside for the next generation.
No one could still answer my basic questions. Has any PSE been offerred carrer status and what about raises as a PSE.
rich1mc1  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:06:07 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

Getting in wrote:
Penelope,
I am not here to stir the pot. For your information I was working for the postal service in numerous roles from 1997-2001. And I worked hard. Although some of the answers on here were helpful the rest have been cookie cutter, see the contract link. I have read the contract word for word. The bottom line was we wont lay anyone off if you make it so future employees have less? How is that fair? I have worked for the postal service for 4 years and although the majority of workers are hard working and amazing their is a lot of dead weight. Right now 100,000 people are eligible to retire but wont. Step aside for the next generation.
No one could still answer my basic questions. Has any PSE been offerred carrer status and what about raises as a PSE.
Getting in, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but a lot of those people you want to retire, were working for the PO when you were earlier. They continued to work for the PO while you chose to leave it. They have earned the right to retire when they see fit, not as you see fit. Don't blame them because you made a stupid decision a long time ago. The older generation, regardless of what you believe does not owe you anything. You on the other hand owe it to them to be respectful. You don't like the contract, well I got news for you, allot of members don't, but crying over spilled milk will not improve it. It is enforce now and you will have to live with it. I am not standing up for the contract, I am not even covered under it. You just have to take things for what they are, and stop blaming other's for the decisions you make.
Getting in  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:13:30 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Rich,

I am not blaming anyone. It was stupid for me to leave, trust me I know. Maybe I came across the wrong way. But this board is about helping each other and I get the sense sometimes that certain people feel entitled. Many people put their time in thats great. But just because you work a job for 20 years doesnt mean you can walk on water. I spent 10 years in sales. Try telling a company I gave you 9 great years and I had one bad year so live with it. You know what they will say? Heres the door. Thats what I dont like. A job is about proving yourself everyday not just until your job is secure. Some of the best people I have ever met were in the post office, but I dont see how its us vs the new people is helping anyone.

FlaRet  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:38:03 AM(UTC)
FlaRet

The raise issue is covered in the contract- you get the raises as a PSE. 
rich1mc1  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:44:48 AM(UTC)
rich1mc1

Getting in wrote:
Rich,

I am not blaming anyone. It was stupid for me to leave, trust me I know. Maybe I came across the wrong way. But this board is about helping each other and I get the sense sometimes that certain people feel entitled. Many people put their time in thats great. But just because you work a job for 20 years doesnt mean you can walk on water. I spent 10 years in sales. Try telling a company I gave you 9 great years and I had one bad year so live with it. You know what they will say? Heres the door. Thats what I dont like. A job is about proving yourself everyday not just until your job is secure. Some of the best people I have ever met were in the post office, but I dont see how its us vs the new people is helping anyone.

I am not putting you down Getting in, you speak of entitlements, well they do have entitlements, one of those being to retire when they are ready. You speak of 10 years in sale's and then in the same breath you tell us of how they just let you go for 1 bad year. Well I am sorry but it sounds to me as though you felt like you were entitled to that job, just because you had 9 years of success. It just sounds to me now like the pot calling the kettle black. Are they entitled to their job. Definitely yes. If they are still producing, and the PO has not cut them loose. Until such time as they decide for themselves to retire, then I believe they are entitled to the job they are doing. Over any new hires, who look at their jobs, out of their own greed and jealousy, with out reguard for the person doing that job.
Getting in  
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:50:30 AM(UTC)
Getting in

My apologies, I let my emotions get the better of me after penelope came after me. No disrespect meant.
penelope1440  
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:59:51 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

What you fail to realize is this same contract that was ratified earlier this year, is the same contract that certain members of congress are trying to overturn.  This is the same contract that created the position of PSE, along with their term of 360 days.  There hasn't been enough time to make a PSE anything other than a PSE.  These are positions that are just starting to pop up. 

You act like the postal employees created the situation of old vs. new employees.  This situation was negotiated between the Union President and Management.  We voted on it, now we have to live with it.  Our jobs are being turned into the sales jobs you mentioned above.  They are not the jobs you knew when you worked for Postal Service.  The reason for PSE's is to get employees on board that they don't have to pay the same benefits to as the people that have been there for years.  They want to get rid of CSRS and FERS employees and use employees that are flexible and paid less.  So, I guess the bottom line is PSE is probably going to be as good as it gets until another contract comes along and they want to replace you all with people willing to take the job at a lower pay and with no benefits.

penelope1440  
#18 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:01:54 AM(UTC)
penelope1440

Getting in wrote:
Glad the union sold out all future employees for those already in.

I wasn't coming after you.  I merely responded to your post. 
Getting in  
#19 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:08:07 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Pen,

Thank you for the feedback. You just told me something I wasnt completely aware of, PSE=is so new of a position their is not a lot of information to give to my questions. I kept thinking PSE had been around for the last couple of years.

Unions across the country have been giving in too much. I personally am all for unions. Soon we will all have the standard of living of china.

Getting in  
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:16:23 AM(UTC)
Getting in

Some clarifications on previous posts in this thread. As stated Casuals can no longer work in the clerk craft but can in the mail handler class.

PSE get raises in the contract 2013, 14, 15 but do they also get raises by increasing their grade from 4-8 and how? tenure?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed