Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
europe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:06:10 AM(UTC)
europe

Groups: Registered

I am filling out applications and they ask for service computation date. What does that mean? It is often two questions after they ask when you are available to start work.
Shaudius  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:11:32 AM(UTC)
Shaudius

Service Computation Date is a question that is asked related to previous federal employment. Its the date you first entered federal service(it exists for leave purposes, career tenure purposes and retirement purposes mostly). It can be changed based on buying back military time. If you have never been a federal employee(even if you've served in the military) you don't have a service comp date.
Shaudius2011-11-02 17:17:28
Enginerd  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:01:32 AM(UTC)
Enginerd

Shaudius wrote:
Service Computation Date is a question that is asked related to previous federal employment. Its the date you first entered federal service(it exists for leave purposes, career tenure purposes and retirement purposes mostly). It can be changed based on buying back military time. If you have never been a federal employee(even if you've served in the military) you don't have a service comp date.
That last one isn't entirely true.  If you served in the military before joining the Federal workforce (hi Newgrad), if/when you buy your military time back, HR will use the amount of time you served, and backdate by that amount of time from your EOD date to establish an SCD for retirement and leave.  In fact, your SCD for leave and SCD for retirement can be two completely different dates, as they are for me.

As a new GS-12 Step 1, I started out with an EOD of 12/5/10, an SCD for leave of sometime in Aug of 1999 (due to 11 years of active military duty), and an SCD for retirement (after buying my time back, plus mobilized Reserve and Federal work at the point I applied for the deposit) of Dec 1997.

So, brand new Federal employee, accruing leave at a rate higher than other new employees, and with 14 years of creditable service.  When I am eligible to retire at 60 or 62, I will have around 20 years of actual service as a Federal civilian, but close to 35 years for retirement purposes.

I hope I didn't make it more complicated than it is. YMMV TT&L not included.
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Shaudius  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:08:54 AM(UTC)
Shaudius

Enginerd wrote:
That last one isn't entirely true.  If you served in the military before joining the Federal workforce (hi Newgrad), if/when you buy your military time back, HR will use the amount of time you served, and backdate by that amount of time from your EOD date to establish an SCD for retirement and leave.  In fact, your SCD for leave and SCD for retirement can be two completely different dates, as they are for me.

As a new GS-12 Step 1, I started out with an EOD of 12/5/10, an SCD for leave of sometime in Aug of 1999 (due to 11 years of active military duty), and an SCD for retirement (after buying my time back, plus mobilized Reserve and Federal work at the point I applied for the deposit) of Dec 1997.

So, brand new Federal employee, accruing leave at a rate higher than other new employees, and with 14 years of creditable service.  When I am eligible to retire at 60 or 62, I will have around 20 years of actual service as a Federal civilian, but close to 35 years for retirement purposes.

I hope I didn't make it more complicated than it is. YMMV TT&L not included.

Thanks for that, but what I said is entirely true. If you have never been a civilian federal employee you do not have a service comp date. Once you become a civilian federal employee you have a service comp date. If you had previous military service and buy it back, your service comp date will indeed by changed to reflect your military service, but as I said, no service comp date exists if you have never been a civilian federal employee until you become a civilian federal employee regardless of your prior military service. I was simply explaining how military service does not give you a service comp date if you have never been a civilian federal employee until you actually start a job as a civilian federal employee.
Shaudius2011-11-03 09:15:45
Enginerd  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 1:14:22 AM(UTC)
Enginerd

Clarification acknowledged. And you're right...when you first start out, SCD=n/a
IT-Fed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:36:22 AM(UTC)
IT-Fed

More to the point:

If you have previous civilian federal service:  refer to your SF-50, block 31 (SCD-LV)
  • For most gov't employees (with some exceptions that probably don't apply to the originally posed question) the SCD-LV and SCD-RET will be the same date.
 Note: 
  • SCD-LV - Service Computation Date for Leave (Accrual)
  • SCD-RET - Service Computation Date for Retirement  
If you have no previous civilian federal service:  N/A (Not applicable)

If others are interested in the exceptions, post and I will gladly provide them.
LongDuckDong  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 04, 2011 5:36:45 PM(UTC)
LongDuckDong

My compu date was changed to refelect my service but I haven't "bought" my time back. That date is for leave/sick days right?
IT-Fed  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:11:50 PM(UTC)
IT-Fed

LongDuck - I would need a bit more information to respond to the reason your "compu date was changed," with no "bought" back (military) time.  In short, it would depend on what military service is being considered.  I could provide several examples that might result in a SCD-LV date being changed (without buying military time), but my examples (there are several possibilities) might not contextually apply to your situation.

If your SCD-LV (Service Computation Date for Leave) was changed, then yes, it's for annual leave accrual.  Sick leave hours are accrued at 4 hours per pay period irrespective of service computation dates.

(Edited for clarity - added word "annual" in second paragraph)
IT-Fed2011-11-07 07:46:24
Pipemajor  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 12:29:03 AM(UTC)
Pipemajor

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
IT-Fed wrote:
More to the point:

If you have previous civilian federal service:  refer to your SF-50, block 31 (SCD-LV)
  • For most gov't employees (with some exceptions that probably don't apply to the originally posed question) the SCD-LV and SCD-RET will be the same date.
 Note: 

If others are interested in the exceptions, post and I will gladly provide them.

Not seeing that on my SF-50.  I have NO prior civilian federal service but do have 5 years and 1 day uniformed federal service.  My physical EOD was 09/27/2009 yet block 31 on my SF-50 reflects an SCD (Leave) of 09/26/2004.

No box for SCD Retirement.  I've not yet paid a military deposit (my 3 years is up in September 2012).
Pipemajor2011-11-07 08:40:30
IT-Fed  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2011 4:28:21 AM(UTC)
IT-Fed

Pipemajor wrote:
IT-Fed wrote:
More to the point:

Note: 

Not seeing that on my SF-50.  I have NO prior civilian federal service but do have 5 years and 1 day uniformed federal service.  My physical EOD was 09/27/2009 yet block 31 on my SF-50 reflects an SCD (Leave) of 09/26/2004.

No box for SCD Retirement.  I've not yet paid a military deposit (my 3 years is up in September 2012).

PipeMajor - I think you misread my post.  I indicated Block 31 displays the date for SCD-LV (rather than SCD-RET). 

With respect to my information about "no prior civilian federal service...." this information contextually applies to the original poster, rather than you, or other current federal employees with no prior federal civilian service (before current service). 

There isn't a designated block on the SF-50 for a SCD-RET date value.  When present, the SCD-RET is displayed in the Remarks section (block 45).  The SCD-RET date is not routinely displayed on the SF-50.  My SCD-RET date has been displayed on a SF-50 twice:  not long after I was initially placed on the civil service rolls, and later when I transferred to another federal agency and the new HR section completed the records transition.

Re -  your SCD-LV adjustment from 9/27/2009 (physical EOD) to 9/26/2004 (current date shown in block 31) - since you separated, rather than retired, from military service, you are credited with your uniformed service for leave accrual (reflected in the SCD-LV).

In order to receive credit for your uniformed service (5 years and 1 day) and have it applied toward your civilian retirement eligibility (reflected in the SCD-RET), you will need to pay a post-56 military deposit. 
  • For FERS employees, this amount will be 3% of your total military earnings, plus interest.
  • You will be subject to interest beginning after the two year anniversary of your civil service start date - for you, beginning 9/27/2011 and forward, if you haven't paid the military deposit in full prior to this date.

You mentioned your "3 years is (are) up in September 2012" - I'm unsure what you mean by this phrase.  I hope you are aware that you do not have to wait until you have career status to pay the military deposit.

Enginerd  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:00:36 AM(UTC)
Enginerd

IT-Fed wrote:
Pipemajor wrote:
IT-Fed wrote:
More to the point:

Note: 

PipeMajor - I think you misread my post.  I indicated Block 31 displays the date for SCD-LV (rather than SCD-RET). 

With respect to my information about "no prior civilian federal service...." this information contextually applies to the original poster, rather than you, or other current federal employees with no prior federal civilian service (before current service). 

There isn't a designated block on the SF-50 for a SCD-RET date value.  When present, the SCD-RET is displayed in the Remarks section (block 45).  The SCD-RET date is not routinely displayed on the SF-50.  My SCD-RET date has been displayed on a SF-50 twice:  not long after I was initially placed on the civil service rolls, and later when I transferred to another federal agency and the new HR section completed the records transition.

Re -  your SCD-LV adjustment from 9/27/2009 (physical EOD) to 9/26/2004 (current date shown in block 31) - since you separated, rather than retired, from military service, you are credited with your uniformed service for leave accrual (reflected in the SCD-LV).

In order to receive credit for your uniformed service (5 years and 1 day) and have it applied toward your civilian retirement eligibility (reflected in the SCD-RET), you will need to pay a post-56 military deposit. 
  • For FERS employees, this amount will be 3% of your total military earnings, plus interest.
  • You will be subject to interest beginning after the two year anniversary of your civil service start date - for you, beginning 9/27/2011 and forward, if you haven't paid the military deposit in full prior to this date.

You mentioned your "3 years is (are) up in September 2012" - I'm unsure what you mean by this phrase.  I hope you are aware that you do not have to wait until you have career status to pay the military deposit.

I agree.  Pipemajor, if you want to boost your SCD, the time to buy back your time is NOW.  On Sep 2012, you can still buy back, but with interest!  Mo' money!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed