Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joe1946  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 8:27:39 AM(UTC)
joe1946

Groups: Registered

I just filled out the Medicare online benefit application and I did not sign up for Part B because I thought it was optional so what is the real story on this ? I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Fepblue) Family Plan as a  CSRS USPS retired person. There must be a zillion petabytes of info of this but I have not seen one page that says YOU MUST SIGN UP FOR BOTH MEDICARE PART A and B EVEN IF YOU HAVE Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Fepblue) . I guess if Part B is required I could still make the change before I get into the 10% surcharge date by Jan 2012 since my 65th birthday was this past September.
OUtside  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:11:44 AM(UTC)
OUtside

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

“The decision to enroll in Medicare is yours.”

That’s quoted from BC brochure pages 119 and 121, years 2011 and 2012, respectively.

joe1946  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:11:34 AM(UTC)
joe1946

Thanks for that info but I ended up taking both Part A and B after I got a call from my local SS/Medicare office today after they seen my application. The guy said most take both A and B and he said I could drop it in the future if I want. All I could say is BC better pay everything that Medicare does not after I pay $115 a month for Part B.

Check this out:
"Medicare Part B is optional for those working full time, but is
mandatory for anyone not actively employed. A premium is paid each month for Part B coverage."

http://www.gohealthinsurance.com/health-insurance-information/what-is-medicare.html
getting close  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:07:58 AM(UTC)
getting close

United States

joe1946 wrote:
Check this out:
"Medicare Part B is optional for those working full time, but is
mandatory for anyone not actively employed. A premium is paid each month
for Part B coverage."

http://www.gohealthinsurance.com/health-insurance-information/what-is-medicare.html

I don't understand the quote since I know for a fact that (at least for CSRS retirees) Part B is definitely optional. Whether it is cost-effective for any given person requires an assessment of their current and anticipated needs.
SharonL  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:26:31 PM(UTC)
SharonL

Someone posted that apparently it's mandatory if you are receiving SS....
joe1946  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:13:07 AM(UTC)
joe1946

SharonL wrote:
Someone posted that apparently it's mandatory if you are receiving SS....
I don't plan on getting SS since I don't have 40 quarters credit and I would lose my 3 years Army credit with my 31 year CSRS retirement because I never paid the Reagan Military Surcharge for SS. But like I said I did take both Part A and B.
OUtside  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:19:22 AM(UTC)
OUtside

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

OPM has a booklet here http://www.opm.gov/insure/archive/health/medicare/75-12-final.pdf.

Page 6 says you don’t have to take Part B and your fehb plan cannot require you to enroll. It also discusses some advantages of enrolling.

Fed1969  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2011 9:10:27 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Medicare B is not required.  I have medicare B and BCBS.  This should cover all my medical cost. I understand the 2012 medicare B monthly payment is reduced from about $115 to about $96.  I think I read somewhere that Mr. Z recommended part B.
Angel1955  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 8:39:10 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

I signed up for Medicare A the day I turned 65 - no cost - what I am doing now per social security is waiting to see what my final CSRS annuity will be as I also am getting social security from husband - and have worked 40 quarters myself - I want to see which way I will be paying for Medicare B = \Also
very interesting - my opthamologist no longer accepts BC/BS he is telling his many many patients he will see them when they get Medicare B = = or I pay him - and send the bill to BC - but then he is not a PPO right - - I did that once at a DC hospital - writing a check - the hospital billed BC and took my money too   - BC said I would have to go back to the hospital - - never went back there sick or not - 
lwgmason  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:40:09 AM(UTC)
lwgmason

Medicare part B may be mandatory before long...

the unions are working with the postal service on a separate set of
cuts to save the U.S. Postal Service -- that Congress would need to sign
off on -- that could save as much as $20 billion by changing health care benefits for postal employees, Rolando said.

One big
change under discussion is a measure that would force retirees and
postal employees who are 65 and older off the federal health care plan and onto Medicare.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-congress-cant-save-postal-115900172.html

postalvet  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:44:22 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
lwgmason wrote:
Medicare part B may be mandatory before long...

the unions are working with the postal service on a separate set of
cuts to save the U.S. Postal Service -- that Congress would need to sign
off on -- that could save as much as $20 billion by changing health care benefits for postal employees, Rolando said.

One big
change under discussion is a measure that would force retirees and
postal employees who are 65 and older off the federal health care plan and onto Medicare.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-congress-cant-save-postal-115900172.html

if this happen it will be devastating to thousands for  postal retirees!!!  and will have a back lash to all federal retirees, because pulling thousands out of the federal plan will hurt the entire plan.
Retired postal worker of 38 years who is willing to help even though some do not want to hear the truth.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed