Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
inchly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:55:52 AM(UTC)
inchly

Groups: Registered

Recently retired, and have not even begun getting payments.  I am starting back as a fee basis in the same position I had.  Will this make a difference in the fee basis pay, or the annuity I will get with my CSRS retirement ?  For some reason no one seems to know, and no one knows who you should talk to?  It seems it should not be a big secret.
RetirednHappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:50:35 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

Does this mean you are being contracted to perform duties on a fee basis (ie. a private contractor)? If so, that employment would have no impact on your CSRS annuity, but you would be responsible for your own quarterly tax payments to IRS, etc..  (If they are re-hiring you as a GS employee, there would be an hourly wage associated with that job, at whatever grade they offer, and ultimately that additional time as a federal employee could result in additional service time, with impact on your annuity).  Sounds like you are under the first description.  Good luck.  
inchly  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 1:00:02 AM(UTC)
inchly

It is fee basis under Provisions of title 38 US Code Section 7405(a)(2)
FI tax is withheld along with OASDI, and medicare.  There is a maximum stated on the paperwork.  I think that as long as it is not exceeded, it will not cut into my actual retirement pay... is this a ridiculous assumption on my part?  I am happy to work some, but not if it is going to take away my retirement pay.  thanks in advance for any help.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed