Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Information Security

Information security can mean protecting information and information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification or destruction. This goes beyond just computers and networks. Risks and threats can come from individuals, acts of nature, and new technology.

This topic affects everyone in the federal workforce - top to bottom. Thus, it is also the responsibility of everyone in the federal workforce to protect the information from threats.

Share your experience with securing information.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrgregory29  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:45:17 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Groups: Registered

Investigator. Anyone have these certifications and how beneficial are they to have when looking for jobs?
truotsuko  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:02:18 AM(UTC)
truotsuko

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Depends on what track you are taking your career, do you want to be a Forensics Investigator or a Penetrations Tester?
mrgregory29  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:12:36 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

truotsuko wrote:
Depends on what track you are taking your career, do you want to be a Forensics Investigator or a Penetrations Tester?

My wife wants to be a Forensics Investigator. I wouldn't mind doing it. I like any and all things that have to do with Security. Have a huge passion for it.
mrgregory29  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:05:10 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Finishing up my Sec+ course tomorrow. Have the ethical hacking course next month. My Sec+ instructor has talked alot of the EH course. Really looking forward to taking it.
computerscott2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:53:46 PM(UTC)
computerscott2

One thing to remember with forensics. It IS NOT LIKE YOU SEE ON TV!!!!!! You have to be detail oriented and able to do boring repetitive tasks the same way each time, fully documenting them and not making mistakes while preserving the evidence and the chain of custody. Small mistakes can cost you (or the investigators) the case. You should have a strong IT technical background and the ability to work long periods of boredom filled with short bursts of excitement. You should always follow your passion though, as for me it has made all the difference.

I have CISSP, CEH, Net+ and Sec+ and am looking into CHFI or SANS GPEN. SANS courses are more hands on and technical while EC Council's are more towards knowledge based (More, what do you know, than what have you done). SANS courses provide more weight if you are going for a techie job, EC Council, ISC2 carry more weight if going for management jobs. The CISSP has made more difference than the CEH, but I also have the experience to back it up.
If you want to get into forensics as a techie, the SANS course would be good (they have forensic ones also). If you want management then CHFI would be good.
mrgregory29  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:54:30 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

computerscott2 wrote:

One thing to remember with forensics. It IS NOT LIKE YOU SEE ON TV!!!!!! You have to be detail oriented and able to do boring repetitive tasks the same way each time, fully documenting them and not making mistakes while preserving the evidence and the chain of custody. Small mistakes can cost you (or the investigators) the case. You should have a strong IT technical background and the ability to work long periods of boredom filled with short bursts of excitement. You should always follow your passion though, as for me it has made all the difference.

I have CISSP, CEH, Net+ and Sec+ and am looking into CHFI or SANS GPEN. SANS courses are more hands on and technical while EC Council's are more towards knowledge based (More, what do you know, than what have you done). SANS courses provide more weight if you are going for a techie job, EC Council, ISC2 carry more weight if going for management jobs. The CISSP has made more difference than the CEH, but I also have the experience to back it up.

If you want to get into forensics as a techie, the SANS course would be good (they have forensic ones also). If you want management then CHFI would be good.

Thanks for the incite. Yea I know there's going to be some boring times in the field. The good thing is my passion I have for it. I'm about to take Windows Server 2008 course next week.

Then I will be taking the CEH course after that then CISSP.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed