Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VTIME  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:51:52 PM(UTC)
VTIME

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/19/2011(UTC)
Posts: 81



I’m
curious if anyone else agrees that ptfs should be able to sign on to the
overtime list. My thought is that if you have people that are willing to work
the overtime why force someone that does not. It would actually save the PO
money because with the hiring freeze most of the ptfs are at top step so they make more hourly than a regular.


The
post office still would be able to force the OT if there are no volunteers. They would start with the junior employee....the ptf.


Any
thoughts? Any way national would put something like this in our contract? I’m getting sick of the 60 hour weeks.


dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:46:14 PM(UTC)
dhacker56

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/9/2008(UTC)
Posts: 6,380

 Not necessary as management can force any PTF to work OT at any time.  Why would there be a need for PTFs to sign an ODL?

MVN  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:44:54 PM(UTC)
MVN

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 138

VTIME wrote:
My thought is that if you have people that are willing to work
the overtime why force someone that does not. It would actually save the PO
money because with the hiring freeze most of the ptfs are at top step so they make more hourly than a regular.


That would make too much sense, thus it goes against postal logic.
TEinsanity  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 6:32:14 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/31/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,375

It must be different in your office, but in my office the TE's get more OT than the PTF does. I've been wishing for years I could be able to put my name on the OT list, just so I could take it off.

boober  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 6:45:25 AM(UTC)
boober

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/10/2010(UTC)
Posts: 2,934

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)



VTIME wrote:


I’m
curious if anyone else agrees that ptfs should be able to sign on to the
overtime list. My thought is that if you have people that are willing to work
the overtime why force someone that does not. It would actually save the PO
money because with the hiring freeze most of the ptfs are at top step so they make more hourly than a regular.


The
post office still would be able to force the OT if there are no volunteers. They would start with the junior employee....the ptf.


Any
thoughts? Any way national would put something like this in our contract? I’m getting sick of the 60 hour weeks.




In all the offices I've ever worked in, about 14 different ones over the years. I've never EVER seen a PTF work less hours than an ODL. It's always the PTF's getting most of the hours and then ODL gets the scraps.

I would love it if there was a list for PTF's. I've known many PTF's who didn't want all those hours. I've seen PTF's ask to go home in 8, while there will be a 12 hour guy standing right there, and the supervisor will send the PTF back out!

I can see your point, but there's a reason why they have you doing that many hours.

It would be nice if maybe they could do something about giving the hours to the ODL first if there are PTF's who do not want so many hours.




boober2011-11-25 14:52:32
[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1706490624/hAE2AE657/[/img]
info seeker  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 7:59:28 AM(UTC)
info seeker

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/30/2008(UTC)
Posts: 73

agreed, i'm a transfer into ptf status.... top pay and the 56 hrs wk are killing me... i'm 55 and at this pt in my life don't need the extra $ would rather save my aching back, feet and have some awake time with my honey.... i'm whooped!  the problem is with the regulars they have to make their ot equitable and so..............  it's easier to give to the ptfs and tes.....   ready for an early out... please.... will be retiring as a ptf after 25 yrs !

CalzoneSC  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 11:22:41 AM(UTC)
CalzoneSC

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2009(UTC)
Posts: 937

heh sometimes i feel like i'm gona retire as a ptf....
sign onto the odl? sure we did that when we accepted their job offer
ptfs are on the modl (mandatory overtime desire list)
heh whether you want to do it or not, you're doing it heheheh
it's easier to handle once you put yourself into the otdl mindset and giggle at your paycheck ;)
Inception937  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 11:51:31 AM(UTC)
Inception937

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/8/2011(UTC)
Posts: 893


TEinsanity wrote:
It must be different in your office, but in my office the TE's get more OT than the PTF does. I've been wishing for years I could be able to put my name on the OT list, just so I could take it off.


I think my office is just like yours....If management had it their way, ONLY TE's would be the 1's doing OT because they're the cheapest.

Just like today....I was casing and my supervisor comes up to me and says, "hey I'm gonna need you to step it up today, call me at 3 and let me know where you are, I'm going to need you to help other people when you're done".
MVN  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 12:14:15 PM(UTC)
MVN

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 138


TEinsanity wrote:
It must be different in your office, but in my office the TE's get more OT than the PTF does. I've been wishing for years I could be able to put my name on the OT list, just so I could take it off.


TEs should never, ever get more OT than the regulars on the OTDL get.
CalzoneSC  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 12:21:13 PM(UTC)
CalzoneSC

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2009(UTC)
Posts: 937

or ptfs
TEinsanity  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 12:27:23 PM(UTC)
TEinsanity

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/31/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,375


MVN wrote:

TEs should never, ever get more OT than the regulars on the OTDL get.


Believe me, I don't disagree. When I first started as a TE the job was great. Carry a route and go home when I finished. I didn't even have to do collections. But somehow that evolved into carry a route, carry a third of another route, do collections, and then go home. I'm not at the point in my life where I've got a family to provide for and kids to put through school, so I don't really desire overtime. In fact, with as much as I'm worked now, I may never get to the point in my life where I have a family to provide for or kids to put through school.
MVN  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 12:36:05 PM(UTC)
MVN

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 138

Right. Meant to say PTFs, too.

cryoftruth  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2011 6:14:33 PM(UTC)
cryoftruth

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/28/2009(UTC)
Posts: 69


TEinsanity wrote:

MVN wrote:

TEs should never, ever get more OT than the regulars on the OTDL get.


Believe me, I don't disagree. When I first started as a TE the job was great. Carry a route and go home when I finished. I didn't even have to do collections. But somehow that evolved into carry a route, carry a third of another route, do collections, and then go home. I'm not at the point in my life where I've got a family to provide for and kids to put through school, so I don't really desire overtime. In fact, with as much as I'm worked now, I may never get to the point in my life where I have a family to provide for or kids to put through school.
 
I am now at the point where I have a family to support and it's just the opposite for me.  I'd like fewer hours so i could be home more and watch my baby grow.  I feel like I miss out on so much because I have to go to bed early either from being so tired or because I have to get up so early.  I rarely get to do anything but work other than on Sundays.  I think if I had this job when I was single I would have been more willing to work the max hours I'm now working.  but then again, like you say, I'm not sure I would have had the time to meet/date anyone working like this.
 
I don't even hate all the hours, I'd just really like the possibility of getting a N/S day once or twice a month.  There is no flexibility with scheduling so I already know I'll be working every single day and the only chance for a day off is for some medical emergency or death in the family.  I hate knowing that I cannot make any plans except for on Sundays because I definitely will no be able to get the day off.
DoItTheRightWay  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:41:59 AM(UTC)
DoItTheRightWay

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/7/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,789



I spent 20 years as a regular and then transfered knowing that I am obligated to work 7 days a week, 11.5 hours a day. If I work 6 days it's a blessing. Same with 10 hours in a day.
5.FederalSoup.com assumes no liability for the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on this Web site. The information is not checked, verified, or edited, and is used at your own risk.
TEinsanity  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:46:22 AM(UTC)
TEinsanity

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/31/2011(UTC)
Posts: 1,375

Well then surely you aren't a carrier. I haven't heard of a carrier working 7 days a week in years. Some of the veteran carriers in my office said how they used to work 7 days when they were PTFs, but that was obviously way back when. 

Melerkat  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 12:01:21 PM(UTC)
Melerkat

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/13/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,648



TEinsanity: I think what DITRW was saying is that he was a regular and took a voluntary change to lower level in order to transfer to another location as a junior PTF.

I sympathise with/for him because I made a similar move a couple of decades ago.
(I went from Delivery Supervisor -Regular- to PTF carrier).

People make these moves due to family or personal reasons. IT TAKES A LOT OF GUTS AND SELF ASSURANCE TO DO IT.

In the office I transferred to, the bottom 3 PTF's had to rotate and work Sunday Express/Collections and Holiday Collections/Express/1st Class Parcel Delivery. EVEN ON CHRISTMAS DAY.

I think that's where he's "coming from" when mentioning working 7 days a week. I did it too.
I was famous (INFAMOUS?) for volunteering to work Thanksgiving in the hope that I would be spared working Christmas. I had two small children at the time. I did this for 4 years before moving up the ladder and out of "The Dreaded Bottom 3."

It was a different era. There were WAY TOO MANY PTF's back then and we were lucky to get 20-30 hours a week. We celebrated when we got enough seniority to be able to bid on a week long hold down. (40 hours). SUWEET!

But I moved out of an extremely rich area (with no hope of ever owning a home) into a nearby area where I was able to build a nice large home with 14.5 acres of land and live comfortably on a carriers wages.

So, what I'm saying is that I think you two guys are talking about two different era's in "Postal History."

I really feel the sacrifice that T.E.'s are making by doing this job. I KNOW...That all the T.E.'s in my office know where I'm coming from.

The NALC IS NOT HAPPY about the circumstances T.E.'s are being forced to encounter everyday (AND IT IS everyday).

What bothers me most about the T.E. situation is that these hard working carriers are not being offered the opportunity to earn a pension.
THINK: Are these people expected to work hard for...say...30 years and NOT HAVE A FRICK'ING PENSION?

What are they supposed to do? Work forever? Go on welfare?
AND WHAT IF THEY BECOME DISABLED ON THE JOB?

"Thanks for your service, now go $%#^ yourself?

NO! That is not what the NALC supports.

The NALC HAS GOT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS and I assure you that I bring up the subject at every union meeting.
And I'm facing ZERO resistance with that, just so you hard working carriers know. Ying Yang

Personally, I hope Dec 7th comes with an announcement that we're going into binding interest arbitration. I just think that this would be the best chance at getting these T.E.'s on board with a path toward HAVING A CAREER instead of just a job.

We all know how hard this job is.
I don't think it's fair to ask them to do the job without that opportunity to earn a pension.
It REALLY bothers me.
In fact, I've become consumed by it.
It's my #1 goal. It makes me really angry and boy did I show it at the last NALC Convention.

(One branch officer branded me a "Little Hitler" after my speech on the stage, because of the...um...'enthusiasm' in which I made the speech, and the number of times I swore at Potter).

Whatever. I say what's on my mind. Like it or not.
But I got a standing ovation. Potter's video presentation did not.





Melerkat2011-11-26 20:25:27
“Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”<br />― Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
mailmanmatt  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:09:02 PM(UTC)
mailmanmatt

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/31/2009(UTC)
Posts: 45

TEs get the hours, the rest of the slugs (regs and ptfs) get the scraps.

That's the way it is. If you dont like it get a new job. Or whine about it on the internet.


MVN  
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:39:32 PM(UTC)
MVN

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/4/2011(UTC)
Posts: 138

TEs are no different than the majority of the working class when it comes to pensions, Melerkat. They will be dependent on their Social Security, like the rest of us who have spent most of our working lives in jobs with no pensions.

I'll be lucky to keep my career job long enough to have a pension of $400 or $500 a month from USPS by the time I retire, because I'll be lucky to keep my career job for a total of 10 years. The rest of my retirement income will be Social Security and whatever TSP I can accumulate if Wall Street doesn't keep pushing my total backwards!





MVN2011-11-27 07:45:26
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 2.216 seconds.