Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BobStrauss  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 3:26:38 PM(UTC)
BobStrauss

Groups: Registered

I'm 28 years old. 
BA in Political Science (underwhelming GPA)
MA in International Studies (solid GPA)
6+ years exp. living/working abroad
2 + years living/working in Indonesia
Conversational Indonesian language skills

Would I have any chance at all of getting into the intel field? From what I've gathered, if I don't have a military background I am S.O.L. Is that really the case?
Beagle1AD  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 4:23:50 PM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

This is the plan if you want to get into Intel.

1.  Apply for all positions all the way down to GS-5 (unless you can't afford to live at GS-5 for a year)  Sometimes you might want to apply to positions that aren't exactly "intel".  You have to look at the big picture.  You want to get to point C and you're just starting out maybe you have to do some time at point A and maybe point B.  Also look for "investigative" experience as well.  In addition to the "intel" world there is also law enforcement intel.

2.  Apply to all agencies and not just DIA

3.  Once in a position work hard, I mean really hard and try to get along with others (teamwork is VERY IMPORTANT) you need to be a team player.  Then when you apply for another job your current supervisor will be your reference.

4.  DO NOT GET caught up in the vet vs non vet, points vs no points drama.  This is about YOU and not about drama.

5.  Oh I noticed you have a MA (seriously congratulation, I wish I had one, working on a BA), don't let this get in the way.  What I mean by this is if your supervisor doesn't have one it doesn't mean you need to remind them every second that you got an MA.  I use to work with a person that remind the WHOLE office hourly that they have a Masters degree.  Like I said I use to work there and I'm no longer there, they are still there.  Plus everything already thinks I have a degree.

I hope this makes some sense, it's late so....if you have any questions feel free to pm me.  The trolls should be on shortly

blueRoo  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:14:05 AM(UTC)
blueRoo

BobStrauss wrote:
I'm 28 years old. 
BA in Political Science (underwhelming GPA)
MA in International Studies (solid GPA)
6+ years exp. living/working abroad
2 + years living/working in Indonesia
Conversational Indonesian language skills

Would I have any chance at all of getting into the intel field? From what I've gathered, if I don't have a military background I am S.O.L. Is that really the case?

Sounds great!
The 6-plus years living abroad could be a pain to get through the security clearance issues, though.  (I hope you have great cross-references and detailed history of where you were and when you were there.)
If you have relatives from/living overseas that could be a problem, too.
Can you stand a year or so trying to get cleared to get a job?

If so, great!  Your age is not an issue.

As for the military issue, at least where I work, there is a serious attempt to try to recruit more NON-MILITARY people into intel work, because it takes all kinds of people to work an issue.  It just does not do to ONLY have a military perspective.  So don't let the overabundance of military candidates dissuade you from your chances at being hired.  (If you had OTHER civilian federal employment would definitely be a plus, though, especially if it required any kind of clearance.) 
Disclaimer: I've been told that I give POUNDS of bad advice about apparently everything, thus -- Take anything I say here with a pound of salt and ask someone else instead.
blueRoo  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:17:29 AM(UTC)
blueRoo

Oh, and don't think you need to apply to ONLY the CIA.  Consider applying to ALL of the Intel agencies, at least all of those you'd be happy to work for.  Some have a different slant on the kind of background they are looking for, where you might not be a good fit for one, you're a perfect fit for another agency.  Then if you are dead-set on working for the CIA, you can put in for a job there after you have a number of years experience at a different agency.  At that point, you might be welcomed with open arms for your diverse experience in Intel that you got from another agency.
Disclaimer: I've been told that I give POUNDS of bad advice about apparently everything, thus -- Take anything I say here with a pound of salt and ask someone else instead.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed