Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 5:41:49 AM(UTC)
ABB

Groups: Registered

Hello Members,

I have a question for anybody that has insight or knowledge pertaining to the hiring process for new agents in the FBI. A source told me today that for the last few yrs the hiring department has only been hiring agents that a around the ages of (24-25). Mostly directly out of school, therefore they can max work time & mold personalities. Regardless of reasoning, is this truth!!?? 

Only app with ages 24-25 are getting through the door. All others are just wasting time.... (28+ - -36)
This is a pragmatic question? I not interested in moral discussion, however, if that is an interest please go ahead...

I just want to know if the agency puts the age limit as under 36 age from time of contract  because of hiring federal retirement....  

Then only hires 24-25yrs... 

Is this the current system!!??

Warm Regards,

To all my federal friends out looking for positions in this very difficult period!! 

G-luck

I hope i'm not giving bad news!!  Ouch   
BuffyBeast  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 5:58:56 AM(UTC)

I don't know where you're getting your information but it is false. The target age for new agents has traditionally been between 28-32. BuffyBeast2011-12-05 14:04:44
bt2011  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 6:12:16 AM(UTC)

Within the WETA documentary on new agent training they state within the video that the average age of a new agent is around 30.  I know personally that most of the individuals I've gone through the process with are within the age range that Buffy Beast stated or even older.  

fly81  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 6:22:22 AM(UTC)

The age limit probably has a lot to do with the physical demands of the job but I wouldn't call it age discrimination. Everyone is different physically and emotionally but when you're in your late 30s, early 40s, you may not be able to meet the criteria to work for the FBI (stress, family life...)
Also, you're supposed to have worked a few years before being eligible to be hired by the FBI so the late 20s/early 30s mentioned by Buffybeast seems right.   
David  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 6:34:47 AM(UTC)
ABB

Thanks people for your responses...

I was thought the same thing about average age... 
28-30

If your hiring people that are 24-25 only and they saying somethings else on web page/ hiring process, I would not agree with the process...

This was a source, therefore, I'm investigating the possibility of the truth, however, it was a source that spoke directly with someone that does work in the hiring department & inside knowledge...
That being said, words can be twisted and misunderstood.... I did not speak directly to this person, nor do I know them... however, I wanted to know if anybody had heard this... 

As I'm a big believer in honesty and clarity... no one or organization is perfect.....

Again, I'm hoping the my source is wrong & further find hard to believe,  anybody that can support this claim... I would be interested in comments...

If they where only hiring 24-25 I do not know exact law, however, without research... I'm sure it would violate age discrimination rules & regulations....

I'm hoping this source is wrong, however, anybody that has info... I'm very happy to listen, non of us have time to waste on dead ends.... in this market....

Regards,

David     
casell  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 7:18:44 AM(UTC)

I would also have to strongly disagree with any sort of age discrimination.  I can only speak from experience, but I am 34 and should be heading to the Q in a few months.  My best friend went to Quantico last February at age 34, and my other friend went this past summer at age 32.  I took the PFT with 9 people last winter and two of those people were 36 and had one last chance to pass.  Unfortunately they did not, but point being in my experience there definitely does not seem to be any age discrimination.  I clearly remember being told at several stages of the process that the FBI usually likes people to have some life experience under their belt and as previously stated, the average age for a new agent is 30.
David  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 7:36:33 AM(UTC)
ABB

casell View Drop Down

Thank you for your response, as I have heard the same thing.... however, I need not know anybody recently that was in that age group that was sent to the Q. This was my hope, because I respect this organization so very much... esp for being a place of integrity. However, Im not sure why this person said this & they def work inside hiring department. Again, I did not know recent ages of people moving forward... I was trying to research a bit, but was coming up empty... thank you for your insights 8)

Sincerely,
David   
james jefferson  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 05, 2011 8:55:33 AM(UTC)
jamesjefferson

just curious david, what were you going to do about it if you were to find out that the fbi was mainly only looking to hire 24-25 year olds?
David  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 5:14:11 AM(UTC)
Agent1978

jamesjefferson

To be very open & honest. I was hoping this person(source) misunderstood another person speaking at a engagement. Think me crazy in a day of information overload and the internet... but i believe in honesty and clarity in government organizations... Esp ones that represent the constitution... I think its a powerful method to always question and gather information, thus comparing and contrasting information/data... in order to make well informed choices... This was a personal question that only impacted my choices, no other action was implied other then looking for personal observations from other members....

Thus filling in holes in my knowledge and allowing me better understand the scenario....

Thanks for the responses everyone...

"The law is the law" 
Wild Bill Donovan 

David
Tony  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 8:48:03 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The resume of the average 24 year old couldn't compete with the resume of the older candidates, and in federal law enforcement it is all about hiring the best and the brightest. Why hire some young person straight out of college with no real life experience, or even experience working a real job when there are literally thousands of extremely qualified individuals beating down the door to get hired.
rabbitdog99  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:28:14 AM(UTC)

JayhawkFan wrote:
The resume of the average 24 year old couldn't compete with the resume of the older candidates, and in federal law enforcement it is all about hiring the best and the brightest. Why hire some young person straight out of college with no real life experience, or even experience working a real job when there are literally thousands of extremely qualified individuals beating down the door to get hired.

Because you can tell
a young inexperienced college graduate, who at that age is certain he is invincible,
to do some marginally stupid or hazardous things and he will do it without question.  Older people, who have had some life experiences, will question any directions to do such things.

Additionally, age
discrimination law only covers people who are at least 40, so the differences in these lower age ranges is not age discrimination in the legal sense.  Plus, since there are physical requirements
of the job that likely only younger people can meet, they can set 36 as the age limit for hiring and not be considered to be discriminating.

None  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:23:50 AM(UTC)
CPTAmerica2

JayhawkFan wrote:

Why hire some young person straight out of college?  Well, because a young person's mind is still fragile and you can brainwash them easily.  They are also able to think outside the box.  And another thing, their metabolism is a lot faster.  They don't have all that excess weight and can therefore do more physically.

Someone older is set on his/her ways.  It's hard for them to think outside the box.  Agents need to think outside the box at times in order to problem solve.  Also older people have a hard time keeping the weight down, therefore it is harder to pass a PT test.

"I can do this all day."<br />-Steve Rodgers
T&#111;ny  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 3:07:56 AM(UTC)
JayhawkFan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
CPTAmerica2 wrote:
Why hire some young person straight out of college?  Well, because a young person's mind is still fragile and you can brainwash them easily.  They are also able to think outside the box.  And another thing, their metabolism is a lot faster.  They don't have all that excess weight and can therefore do more physically.

That is the most ridiculous explanation I have heard. This isn't the Marines, the goal isn't to have a bunch of brainwashed soldiers, this is federal LE. I'm already a federal agent, though not with the FBI, so I know that the average age of new agents here is closer to 30.

Quote:

Someone older is set on his/her ways.  It's hard for them to think outside the box.  Agents need to think outside the box at times in order to problem solve.  Also older people have a hard time keeping the weight down, therefore it is harder to pass a PT test.

So a person who is 30 is old, fat, and stubborn ?!?!?! Shocked
You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

You made yourself look incredibly stupid with this post.
Fed1969  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 4:41:07 AM(UTC)

The FBI has very high standards and demand for their agents.  I do believe the age limit for new hires is somewhere in the early 30s.  
Scout0315  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 5:52:51 AM(UTC)

Fed1969 wrote:
The FBI has very high standards and demand for their agents.  I do believe the age limit for new hires is somewhere in the early 30s.  

The
age limit for new hires is at the head of agency discretion (there is a
specific federal statute that gives them this authority). It was once 27, now it’s 37.

The
FBI was the first agency to establish an age limit to meet the need that is described as a young and vigorous work force.

Most
1811 agency have adopted this age. It is however at the head of agency discretion.
This is why waivers are given. Mostly for veterans (required by VEOA), but others are given (see USCGIS, OSI, etc).

My class of new IRS agents median age was over 30.

I work
with a crop of new FBI agents just out of the Q, none are younger than 28, most are above 30.

"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
Rss Feed  Atom Feed