Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bluebeetle5  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:42:44 PM(UTC)
bluebeetle5

Groups: Registered

Hi there. I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I've been applying competitively to positions on USAjobs for a while, but while I've had some close calls, none have been successful. I recently discovered the Schedule A Hiring Authority, and I'm wondering if I might be able to take advantage of it. Unfortunately, all the details of it are very slim.

From what I understand, one is eligible for Schedule A if he/she has mental retardation, a severe physical disability, or a psychiatric disability. I have what is classified as "severe Hemophilia B." Many of you probably know what that is, but for those of you who don't, it's a condition where my blood doesn't clot. It's also relatively rare, so as you can imagine, finding any info on it in relation to disability hiring is sparse. I figure it would fall under the category of a severe physical disability, but the OPM doesn't really provide any good definition of what exactly that constitutes. I've always wondered if it actually counted as a disability--I know it definitely disqualifies me from entering the Army, unfortunately.

Would it hurt to try to apply under Schedule A? I'm obviously not applying for anything that would be strenuous or violent, and I would be applying to positions that I have already applied to and been at least referred to the selecting official to, so I am at least mostly qualified for said positions otherwise.

Any advice anyone can give on this would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

bluebeetle52011-12-08 20:54:19
PluckyCharmz  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:46:58 PM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

You need a letter from a medical professional stating that you have a severe disability but are able to perform the duties of the position. You can find a template on the USAJobs website. You need this letter before you can apply under Schedule A.

bluebeetle5  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 08, 2011 12:52:36 PM(UTC)
bluebeetle5

PluckyCharmz wrote:
You need a letter from a medical professional stating that you have a severe disability but are able to perform the duties of the position. You can find a template on the USAJobs website. You need this letter before you can apply under Schedule A.

OK, thanks! I found the info on USAjobs, and I'm looking at the templates. Would I have to have my medical professional fill out a new form each time I applied for a job? Or could I leave a blank spot where the agency is so I can use it for whomever I need? I ask mostly because my hematologist is about two hours away from me. Would faxes/copies of their signed paperwork be valid? Also, do I contact the agency's SPPC first, or do I apply on USAjobs, attaching my Schedule A paperwork to the application? The instructions are not very clear Dead

Once again, Plucky, thanks for the info!! :D

bluebeetle52011-12-08 20:58:34
PluckyCharmz  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2011 1:38:12 AM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

bluebeetle5 wrote:

PluckyCharmz wrote:

Quote:
OK, thanks! I found the info on USAjobs, and I'm looking at the templates. Would I have to have my medical professional fill out a new form each time I applied for a job? Or could I leave a blank spot where the agency is so I can use it for whomever I need?
<--- This one. It's what I do

Quote:
I ask mostly because my hematologist is about two hours away from me. Would faxes/copies of their signed paperwork be valid?
Yes, I had my doctor make one letter. I scanned that into USAJobs and attach it to every job I apply to.

Quote:
Also, do I contact the agency's SPPC first, or do I apply on USAjobs, attaching my Schedule A paperwork to the application? The instructions are not very clear Dead
It doesn't matter, the SPPCs aren't very helpful anyway. Concentrate on applying for positions via USAJobs.

Once again, Plucky, thanks for the info!! :D

You're welcome and good luck!!
Smile
bluebeetle5  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 09, 2011 9:23:42 AM(UTC)
bluebeetle5

Great, thanks again, Plucky!! Big smile

If I may ask, how has the Schedule A job search gone for you? You sound quite knowledgeable.

And I definitely can see now that the SPPCs are not going to be that helpful. I contacted one of them, and have still not received an answer.

Matyoka  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:49:32 AM(UTC)
Matyoka

Over 75 positions applied for as a Schedule A applicant over the last couple of years with absolutely no results...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed