Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
littleK  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 12, 2011 10:48:11 PM(UTC)
littleK

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I currently hold a Sensitive clearance issued by the US Postal Service.  Does this mean that I have a US Government Security clearance (like Secret, Confidential)?  I'm trying to find out if the Sensitive clearance "maps" over to a US Government clearance.

"The Chief Postal Inspector or designee is responsible for issuing security clearances. If
an employee needs a security clearance, the type of clearance granted depends on the
sensitivity of the position held. A sensitive clearance is considered for employees who
have access to sensitive information restricted to the highest levels of the federal
government, U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General (OIG) files, U.S. Postal
Inspection Service (USPIS) files, national security (classified) information, or sensitive
information essential to executive decision making. The sensitive level of clearance
within the Postal Service encompasses both national security4 and public trust5
positions."

I'd appreciate any information, sources, resources.

Thanks!

littleK2011-12-13 07:12:38
jhennessey  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:20:18 AM(UTC)
jhennessey

Hi littleK,

if you filled out a SF-85P (for a Level 5 or 6), you have a Public Trust (PT), which is not a security clearance.

A PT allows the holder access to Sensitive information (but not classified) and/or Sensitive facilities. 

If you filled out a SF-86 (for Levels 2, 3, 4) and were favorably adjudicated, you have a security clearance (Confidential, Secret, Top Secret). A security clearance would allow you access (if required & needed) to the level of classified information for the clearance granted.

A security clearance (sc) may (may) be transfer to another agency agency if that clearance is still active/current (hasn't been 24 months since going inactive) and the underlining bi (background investigation) is not out of date. Also, if the sc is at the same or lower level that the new agency requires and has no Suitability components to the new position.

A PT is another matter, since it is usually agency specific, and meets the requirements of your (new) agency.

As in all things it is best to find out exactly what you have and at what Level (either a PT or a sc), best to ask your security folks, also ask the (new) agency security folks what their requirements are for the (new) position.

Best to you,    Jim H.
Jim Hennessey<br />Leesburg, VA<br />Federal Background Investigator (Ret.)<br />Security Clearance Consultant
littleK  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:25:48 AM(UTC)
littleK

Hi Jim,

I appreciate your thorough response.  I've found out more information from you today than I have been able to in the past couple of days.

I am going to find out which one of those forms I filled out.

Thanks again!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed