Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Maverick  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:49:35 AM(UTC)
Maverick

Groups: Registered

I work for SSA , PC7 in Baltimore, as a claims authorizer.  For the last few years, we have had lots of overtime, 8 hours per Saturday, 6 on Sunday, and usually 2 hours daily M-F.

Until this year.  Our OT was severely cut back in the spring of 2011 and since October 1, we have had no OT whatsoever.

Without new hires or OT I don't see SSA as being able to successfully manage our huge workload. The aged of our cases in PC7 is going up again and so are the backlogs.  Many of these cases are extremely complex, require time to process, and involve huge amounts of money.  If we don't get to the AERO and WC cases timely then huge overpayments can result, which will end up costing the public far more.  And if we don't fix an error within 4 years, then administrative finality often kicks in and we can't correct it.  I've seen this happen quite often with AERO cases. 

I hope OT is restored at least for the "front line" employees such as CA's, BA's, and CR's.  Those who deal directly with the public and/or directly process claims.   Saturday OT of 8 hours would seem to be the minimum that should be brought back, that was always a very productive day when we could come in on Saturdays. 

tobeaFED  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2011 7:55:34 AM(UTC)
tobeaFED

The issue is money appropriated by Congress-at this point SSA is just trying to keep the doors open. 
daniel175  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:43:52 PM(UTC)
daniel175

I agree Mavrick.  I work in PC2 as a BA and it's the same here.  With the volume of work, our SPIKE commitments, and no OT our aged is growing.
Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:55:08 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Expect this to continue in 2012
jackbauer24  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:55:38 AM(UTC)
jackbauer24

I work at ODAR and I believe at this point only writers (paralegal analysts) are getting overtime.

iiiii  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 1:10:17 AM(UTC)
iiiii

BA's, CA's, TE's lots of positions have OT again. Actually the only people I can think of without OT are the TSR's.
3woodx  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2012 12:41:27 PM(UTC)
3woodx

we are starting to work O/T. Not enough in the field offices.  People are retiring, transferring, quitting and SSA expects you to complete your work when there is a shortage of staff. I havent been there long. I like my job but if this continues I am gonna look elsewhere.  It is not fair to staff when people retire or leave the agency and we have to work credit 9 or 10 hours a day to keep up with workload.  

FedDude  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 6:21:04 AM(UTC)
FedDude

OT is back at ODAR

daniel175  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:18:04 PM(UTC)
daniel175

Welp.  OT is gone again.  Wonder for how long this time.
Sylkifine  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:37:21 AM(UTC)
Sylkifine

Which offices are you guys working out of? And, do you have any guidance as to what measures are being taking regarding new employment for your offices?

daniel175  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:20:36 AM(UTC)
daniel175

I work out of PC 2 in Philadelphia.  I haven't heard anything about new employees in a few months.  They haven't hired from outside since last year.
3woodx  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 05, 2012 1:56:34 PM(UTC)
3woodx

I have been with SSA for a few years now.  I can tell you that this agency has built its workload at least in the field offices around credit time instead of overtime.  Why, because credit time doesnt go against management nor accounted in the same way in the budget.  The workloads are getting done artificially inflating our production.  What people don't realize by doing this mgmt will never hire people why because your working credit hours to do the work of 3 people.  You make the managers look great and they sit around and collect there 70 to 100 thousand dollar salaries while we do all the work.

SSA pays well yet demands almost sweat shop type atmosphere to stay ahead.  The agency has to pay well in order to keep people.  If you want to get promoted the recommendation is to ask for more work.  Yet we are already short people and doing more anyway, yet we are suppose to ask for more, really?

The work loads are built on the fallacy of credit time almost everyone in the field offices work
credit time out of necessity rather than wanting to in order to stay up on the work load.  Now, we have more and more people quitting or retiring and we are not replacing them.  We now see bigger workloads and bigger problems trying to stay up on the work.

Frankly, I quit working any overtime and credit hours.  We worked a ton of over time the last month and looked what happened.  No over time and we are cutting our hours open to the public? Really.  MGMT you saw a true reflection of how much work  is out there and your cutting hours to public instead of hiring much needed staff.  Cut our mgmt staff and hire front line people.

Why in the world, me coming from the private sector, do you need a DM an ADM, and 2 supervisors in offices that have 22 people total? Really.  Those 4 positions alone account salaries around 350,000 a year not including benefits.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed