Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Civil10  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:17:32 PM(UTC)
Civil10

Groups: Registered

Fit to Fight, has anyone looked into the time being wasted on a UTA?  I know there are some guys who fail on purpose every now and then so they can go test again.  Hey it's 4 hours off.  And add that and all the computer based training, CC calls, etc, and It's a pretty good gig.  But when the pavement meets the road and you have a bunch of goof-balls working on your Aircraft, because they where not trained, where was the benefit of it all???? 
Civil102011-12-22 07:24:13
martyb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:44:38 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  I've been thinking that way for a few years now, and it's only gotten worse.
Forum trolls to 0%
KC135 Mech  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:15:29 PM(UTC)
KC135 Mech

They better watch the fails, 4 in 24 months can get you discharged
lucabrasi  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:58:32 PM(UTC)
lucabrasi

We actually sat down one day last summer and figured it out.

Using the standard times set for each course and their frequency, and the average times spent on other ancillary items such as physicals, commanders call, F2F, mobility exercises and meetings, we came up with a possible 13 hours of possible AFSC specific training per YEAR for a T/R in this unit.

Of course, that is all dependent on the availability of a maintenance trainer or a broken jet.

YMMV.

Milgl  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 5:23:00 PM(UTC)
Milgl

lucabrasi wrote:
We actually sat down one day last summer and figured it out.

Using the standard times set for each course and their frequency, and the average times spent on other ancillary items such as physicals, commanders call, F2F, mobility exercises and meetings, we came up with a possible 13 hours of possible AFSC specific training per YEAR for a T/R in this unit.

Of course, that is all dependent on the availability of a maintenance trainer or a broken jet.

YMMV.
We actually did the same study , presented it to Wing Training and then AFRC. Our number were a little different, but we came up with 7 hours of actual AFSC time from 12 UTA's. AFRC told us that ancillary traing was going to be cut down to 25 hrs per year, well this was two years ago and we have done the opposite by increasing CBT 17 hrs. This makes it easier when presenting your case on why so and so has failed to upgrade in 24 months. What makes it worse is that I have kids who are no longer eligible for STP because there Security Clearence was not adjudicated!
Civil10  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 9:58:36 PM(UTC)
Civil10

And to add salt to the injury, the day I did my FTF the temp was 27, we could of went into the gym, but then the FAC would have to work and pay attention to the runners, outside it's much easier for them to count.   Needless to say, I was sick the next few days, which was cool, I have the SL to cover it.  And I'm sure other ARTS have had this happen, but it all adds up to time being wasted.  I would like to see the higher ups out their running in 27 degree weather. 

Civil102011-12-27 07:52:57
Civil10  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 11:50:18 PM(UTC)
Civil10

KC135 Mech wrote:

They better watch the fails, 4 in 24 months can get you discharged

LOL, it's different at every base.  Thats the AF standards in action.

Civil102011-12-29 13:08:14
ARTired  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:31:33 PM(UTC)
ARTired

Jesus, you all better stop talking about FTF, big brother catches wind then hell haveth no fury like the Air Force when it comes to FTF. 
Civil10  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 12:52:26 AM(UTC)
Civil10

Oppppssss.....
martyb  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 2:57:44 AM(UTC)
martyb

I ain't skeered...of course, I'm retired!  Even when I wasn't retired, I still wasn't skeered, though.

Forum trolls to 0%
Milgl  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:36:58 PM(UTC)
Milgl

ARTired wrote:
Jesus, you all better stop talking about FTF, big brother catches wind then hell haveth no fury like the Air Force when it comes to FTF. 

Well, we were just notified that as of 15 Jan., our civilian testers will be no more!. As of today, there is no plan on how this will be conducted. Anybody out there being tested by the military again can tell me how it operates at your base?

Civil10  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:25:43 PM(UTC)
Civil10

One thing about the AF, change, change and more change.  Great way to run a operation.  But it's always for the best of the troops.  And they wonder why morale is where it is.
shambles  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 4:07:46 AM(UTC)
shambles

Milgl wrote:

ARTired wrote:

Well, we were just notified that as of 15 Jan., our civilian testers will be no more!. As of today, there is no plan on how this will be conducted. Anybody out there being tested by the military again can tell me how it operates at your base?

We have volunteers that monitor the tests.  It's an extra duty.  I think one or two ARTS are responsible for uploading the results.  They are fast.  Usually the people that have tested know by the end of the day how they did.
Milgl  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2012 4:30:52 PM(UTC)
Milgl

shambles wrote:

Milgl wrote:

ARTired wrote:

We have volunteers that monitor the tests.  It's an extra duty.  I think one or two ARTS are responsible for uploading the results.  They are fast.  Usually the people that have tested know by the end of the day how they did.
By the end of the day? We knew by the end of the test as we had to carry our score sheet back to our UFM
Civil10  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:21:34 AM(UTC)
Civil10

Oh I see, we have careers on the line, some failing by seconds and have volunteers running the test.  Sound great, where do I sign up for this great program?

saylahbrat  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2012 6:23:33 PM(UTC)
saylahbrat

Our base just implemented a mandatory PT session at 0545 on saturday and sundays of UTA's for failures and no shows... thank god I just passed my test. 
Milgl  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2012 7:16:33 PM(UTC)
Milgl

saylahbrat wrote:
Our base just implemented a mandatory PT session at 0545 on saturday and sundays of UTA's for failures and no shows... thank god I just passed my test. 
What base?
KC135 Mech  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2012 12:54:50 PM(UTC)
KC135 Mech

And what Mil status are they in when they do that?
Milgl  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:27:38 AM(UTC)
Milgl

Why ask such a question...you know they have to be in a mil status!
martyb  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:38:16 AM(UTC)
martyb

I started to say duhhhh....but then, I started to wonder about whether they've signed in for the UTA yet at that point.  And if not...are there any ramifications if something happens?   Injuries, death...  Just curious.  Sometimes the devil's in the details...
Forum trolls to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed