Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

57 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pissfir  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:03:28 AM(UTC)
pissfir

Groups: Registered

A very reliable source has informed me that teams are being assembled to work on the details of a Forest Service buyout.  The same reliable source has heard the date March 31st being thrown around.

I hadn't heard anything in so long that I was losing hope.  This cheered me up a bit, and, I hope that it does the same for you. Smile

Searching  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:45:01 PM(UTC)
Searching

Very interesting, thanks for the info!
pissfir  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:00:18 AM(UTC)
pissfir

It is in the works! Received an email from my supervisor asking if I was interested in the VSIP.  It had a big spreadsheet attached where it appears that he will enter my position.  Woo hoo! I have not been this excited since I started working there all those years ago....before they killed my spirit.  :\

Tryno  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:52:57 PM(UTC)
Tryno

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

That's great for you forest service guys.  I missed my agencies VSIP by a few months and went out during the VERA.  I don't regret missing the VSIP.  The extra 6 months of retirement were worth more then the cash.  pissfir, hopefully they didn't really kill your spirit, just your desire to work for forest service.  That's what happened to me, the desire was dead but not my spirit.   Take care
Searching  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2012 10:37:54 PM(UTC)
Searching

I just got my solicitation to be considered for the VISP too! It will be hard to go 2.5 years without the FERs supplement, but with 32 years here (only 29 count), I am ready to go. Hope they let me! Searching2012-01-04 06:44:06
Searching  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 12:24:58 AM(UTC)
Searching

Pissfir, heard any rumors about how many they are going to let go? The data goes to the WO today, when do you think we'll hear? Some are saying it will take a month from now to get the offical approval. I hope not that long!
countrychick  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 1:36:48 AM(UTC)
countrychick

Wow!  This sounds like good news for ya'll but might not be so great for those trying to get on with the Forest Service.  Are they still in a hiring freeze?  Future hopes of getting in there are getting dimmer and dimmer....Cry
pissfir  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:17:19 AM(UTC)
pissfir

Searching wrote:
Pissfir, heard any rumors about how many they are going to let go? The data goes to the WO today, when do you think we'll hear? Some are saying it will take a month from now to get the offical approval. I hope not that long!

I haven't heard anything about how many offers will be made.  We are supposed to hear during the first part of of February and the chosen folks will have to be gone by 3/31.

I am trying to keep from getting too excited, but, well.....you know.... Big smile

pissfir2012-01-18 09:21:26
pissfir  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16:49 AM(UTC)
pissfir

01.18.2012 - UNCONFIRMED RUMOR: 1000 BUYOUTS TO BE OFFERED THIS TIME AROUND.  MORE IN SEPTEMBER. I'd be curious to know how many applied. Confused

Searching  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:27:52 AM(UTC)
Searching

Gee...that doesn't sound like that many if that is FS wide. Although, there are 6 people qualified where I work and I am the only one commited to go.

I am so planning on getting this it gonna hurt bad if it doesn't happen. My spouse came really close last fall and it was pulled out at the last minute for his area (Post Office). We don't want that to happen again.

That "1000" may be work force plan for your specific forest? Gosh I hope we hear soon. Would be nice to have more time to plan.
pissfir  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:37:02 AM(UTC)
pissfir

Searching wrote:
Gee...that doesn't sound like that many if that is FS wide. Although, there are 6 people qualified where I work and I am the only one commited to go.

I am so planning on getting this it gonna hurt bad if it doesn't happen. My spouse came really close last fall and it was pulled out at the last minute for his area (Post Office). We don't want that to happen again.

That "1000" may be work force plan for your specific forest? Gosh I hope we hear soon. Would be nice to have more time to plan.

No, it sure does not sound like many.  This info was given to me by a union rep on a different forest, so, I assume that it is nation wide.

I'm really counting on this also.  I had intended to go in May if I weren't chosen.  With the September rumor, it makes one consider hanging around if necessary.  Just can't keep putting it off forever, though.
pissfir  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:52:29 AM(UTC)
pissfir

One more little bit of info....the regions have to have the information in to OPM by 1/27.

treechaser  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:57:36 AM(UTC)
treechaser

The time frame I had previously heard was...

Buyout offers to be made Jan 30, responses due Feb 18, and March 31 to be the retirement date.

I called Alburquerque yesterday, and was told the FS is supposed to hear back from OPM as to whether buyouts would be approved or not "in early February."

As far as taxes on the buyout payment...the buyout payment is considered to be earned income..and it can be deposited into the TSP, or an IRA, and get at least some protection from 2012 taxes.
Searching  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:33:25 AM(UTC)
Searching

Thanks for the update! I was going to start making some inquiries tomorrow.

I think OPM has been pretty fast at approving buyouts. I hope we hear next week. It will still take time for our departments to issue approvals. I would really like as much time as possible to take care of some personal business and leave my work carefully documented and cleaned up. We had someone take a buyout about 5 years ago and we are still cleaning up their messes!

Searching2012-01-26 13:41:08
pissfir  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:51:04 PM(UTC)
pissfir

I need to call my union rep today and find out how I'll be notified if I'm offered the buyout.  I'm laid off work for the season and hate to rely on someone (who may be incompetent) to notify me in a timely manner.

Also, I read yesterday (wish I had saved a link) that the incentive payment would come with a person's first final retirement check.  To me that means not while on interim payments.  Does anyone know how it's paid out? This could certainly be incorrect information.

Are we all getting a little jittery??  Big smile 

Searching  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:32:33 PM(UTC)
Searching

Wacko  I am sooo jittery!! I like to plan, plan, plan. I keep telling myself to wait till I hear but I can't stop thinking about it!

I found this:

"14. When will I receive my buyout payment? Will it be all at once (lump sum) or monthly? Generally, you should receive your buyout check within a couple of weeks of yourfinal separation paycheck. The agency will send you the incentive payment as soon as possible afterthe date of your separation but cannot guarantee a specific date. First, the agency must resolve anyleave errors, salary offsets, and employee debts to the Government. Your buyout is also subject togarnishment for alimony and child support. The incentive payment is taxable. You will receive itas a lump sum (less Federal income tax withholding, applicable State and local taxes, andFICA/Medicare taxes)."

"I've read that payments made from the National Finance Center are paid only as a lump-sum payment.

Employees should ask their payroll office how the VSIP will be paid if it is available. Keep in mind that the maximum VSIP is still $25,000, and this money is subject to income tax. It is not considered "basic pay" and therefore cannot be contributed to the TSP. After taxes, this amount might net the average federal employee only about $17,000. That is not enough to retire early unless you already can afford to retire, or you have a second career lined up that is as good as or better than the one you already have with the federal government."

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0711/072911rp.htm

thalweg  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 2:30:15 AM(UTC)
thalweg

I have also heard from the leader of my unit that the target is 1000 buy outs for the entire Forest Service.  It is unclear how they will make decisions as to which positions will be offered buy outs.  Perhaps they will offer them to all positions that were identifed during the data call (even if more than 1000) and then process them on a first-come, first-served priority.  Or maybe they will prioritize by grade, series, location, or something else.  In any case my recommendation would be to fill out your package and submit it on the first day of the offer if you are truly wanting a buy out.
pissfir  
#18 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 3:47:49 AM(UTC)
pissfir

I was speaking on the phone with my source of information. He told me that there are three prioritization
categories to be used for the buyout. The top category is folks who are currently retirement eligible. The second category is people with less than 30 years. Then we got interrupted, so, that's all I know.
Searching  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:48:43 PM(UTC)
Searching

Ok, late January is past and it is now "early February". When do you think we'll hear?

I just opened up a case with ASC to prompt info about the buyout window...
Searching2012-02-01 13:01:28
treechaser  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:48:12 PM(UTC)
treechaser

I called ASC this morning (Thursday, Feb 2), and was told there was no new info.

Now this comes with a really big caveat...I did pick up a hint that maybe there was something out from OPM, but the info was just not ready to give out yet, or maybe ASC got told to let info get released through proper channels. So, take that with a big grain of salt
Rss Feed  Atom Feed