Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spaulding  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 4:40:32 AM(UTC)
spaulding

Groups: Registered

I started with GSA in July 2011. I was brought in as a Direct Hire at GS-11. I had been a GS-14 with the Justice Department back in the early 90s as a Trial Lawyer, left the Gov't and am now back. I was not hired as an "attorney" with GSA. The work I have been doing since I began is the work being done by GS-13s and some 14s. I have substantial experience in the area within which I work and my supervisor & team leader are aware of my experience. I asked my supervisor a couple months ago if there is a process to request a grade increase before my 1st year is up and she suggested I come see her once I hit 6 months. I'll have 6 months in the middle of January. Does anyone know what avenue there may be for me to request a grade increase? I have heard the term "desk review" and some folks have suggested that I apply for higher grade positions as well. Although I anticipate an increase to a GS-12 in July, I am still performing work at a higher than GS-12 level. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks and have a safe, happy and healthy New Year!
RetirednHappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 5:16:47 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

The time to negotiate your salary/ step is before you begin working. Once you have accepted the position and are an active employee, time-in-grade applies for positions. If you were hired as a straight GS-11, there is no normal process to change it. If you say you are expecting a promotion to GS-12 in July, maybe you have applied for/ accepted for a career-ladder GS-11/12 position, and the supervisor may have some latitude as to effective date for such action. If you wanted a GS-12 (or 13, or 14) now,  then you needed to apply for those grades and only accept those graded offers. Now, as a GS-11, if you want a GS-12 (etc), start applying for those postings now, since you apparently have previous experience at higher levels. Good luck. RetirednHappy2011-12-30 13:22:45
spaulding  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 7:42:51 AM(UTC)
spaulding

The position advertised at a 9 and I asked for higher when I was offered the position. 6 months later, they agreed to bring me in as a direct at an 11. I believe the job is an 11/12 so when I hit 12, it stops there unless I move elsewhere?
Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2011 9:12:34 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Are you doing the duties in your PD?  If so, a desk review won't help since the positions was recently certified as correct.

If you are spending the majority of your time doing other duties, a desk review may or may not help.

If the duties are at a higher grade, they could be reassigned to someone else.

Another options, is to apply for a higher grade position based on your previous duties when you were a GS-14.
dbfnr  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:49:56 AM(UTC)
dbfnr

No woman will say no to jewelry, and chiffon argent adornment is added absorbing and fascinating. Simple, admirable altar are the tiffany key chaplet designs accept absorbed about the accomplished apple with their aqueous curve and animal forms for years now. 

Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 3:14:27 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

You can also network.  You can reassigned to your previous high grade.  Maybe another office needs you at the GS-14 level.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed