Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
saylahbrat  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:08:22 AM(UTC)
saylahbrat

Groups: Registered

Do any reserve units out there offer a formal/structured PT program for ART's who have failed their PT test?  If so, what are the details of the program and do they enforce a set time for ARTs to complete this fitness?   We are not looking to hear about just the standard "you get 3 hours a week for fitness during work hours answer" if that makes any sense.  We are curious what other units are doing to help their personnel get back into standards besides just sitting them in front of a computer to do the Be-fit CBT (which by the way, is a JOKE since it encourages the opposite of helping us get into shape). 

We are a reverse associate with AD and they have several programs set up to help those who fail tests (they even started a PT program for those personnel with profiles!!).  We are just wondering why the wing couldnt possibly set up a fitness program/time for those ART's who want to participate.  If we cover on the job for AD fitness programs, why couldnt they do the same for us on the opposite days?

Anyone, please advise...
tigman46  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:29:59 PM(UTC)
tigman46

you wrote that post like you think some one might actually care about us ART's failing our F2F tests....
they want the ART program to go away.... more of us that fail and they make retire, or kick out the better for them..
tigman462012-01-12 06:31:40
tigman46  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:24:29 AM(UTC)
tigman46

one hour three times a week.... is all we get...
seems like Active is at the gyms on base all the time!!!
tigman462012-01-18 11:24:19
saylahbrat  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:35:21 PM(UTC)
saylahbrat

Wow...  You know...  I am an EVERYDAY WG-10 worker just like the majority of the personnel who actually gives a crap about keeping my job.  Yes - I can not say that everyone out there wants the ART program to stay, but right now - it's what pays the bills and supports my family.  I am very THANKFUL that I am able to do things without wondering if next week I can pay my mortgage or other essential bills.

I asked that question about a structured PT program because there are SEVERAL people who do care and want to make a difference, myself being one of them.  Alot of people might not be happy where they work and just like everyone else, I see a LOT of negatives about the PT program.  Complaining about it and not doing anything to help yourself and others will not make it go away.  Several people in my squadron hate this program - but there are some of us who are on the SAME playing field willing to step up (even those who dislike it) and create a program with the support of our Group Commander to create something to improve our ART's fitness and help them maintain status and THEIR JOBS!!  Yes... I said JOBS... because without your Reserve status maintained - you ultimately can not stay an ART. 

Most people realize that they can not do it on their own and would like some sort of support. We have only begun talking about the program in my squadron, and people are already asking for the sign up sheet.  That shows people have interest in such a program - but would like to be lead in the right direction by their own peers, not by a gung-ho FAC personnel who doesn't quite understand our own needs.

I was asking for any input on a structured program and if anyone has seen it in the ART program - not to to downplay me or my personal thoughts on the program and who really gives a crap.  We all know it's flaws and wi***** would go away. So unless you have something to say that would benefit us or even something you could input that may be something to avoid while developing the program, please don't comment.  It's comments and negativity like this that make people frustrated and dislike their job - trying thinking of some positive things for a change, it's not all 100% bad.
ARTired  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:37:18 PM(UTC)
ARTired

As an ART unless i'm on orders im a civilian last I checked, so are you (meaning supervision) allowed to mandate I have to do a PT program?  I was under the understanding i'm required to show up, do my job, and go home. I left active duty to have more control over my life. Now if a member is coming to you for help then thats something else and i don't see any problems with starting a program. 

if your trying to get it mandated then your part of the problem why most ARTs don't like this job, because like me, they don't want to be active duty, and mandating PT programs is yet just another slap in the face, like wearing this uniform.

So now where is the line between active duty, civilian status and reserve status?

let me worry about my own health and you mind your own business. People took this job knowing whats expected, we are suppose to be adults. If you can't hold up your part of the deal then too bad, bye bye find another job.  Its nobody else's responsibility to take care of me but me, which is why I originally wanted this job.

out of curiousity, are you a maintainer or office person?
saylahbrat  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:13:07 AM(UTC)
saylahbrat

I guess there is the misconception since this is all in writing and not being explained in person :-)  First I will answer that I am maintenance - so I know exactly what it means to be working several jobs at once and everything is "all about the mission".  I work hydraulics on C130's, I am an AMXS training monitor, a PTL, and several other positions at once - definitely not an office worker. 

The mandated part we are pushing for is for the time to be set aside - regardless of the mission.  We are pushing for Active Duty to be mandated to be our support during a set time (IE Tues/Thurs from 0630-0800).  The mandated part is not to force ART's to do PT - its to enforce the time to be allowed - does that make more sense?  It's as simple as this - if you (as an ART) don't have your signed medical note or just don't want to go, you don't have to - no one will ever force you to do it.  The idea is to have the time allowed be mandatory and to make sure AD covers it without their appointments be in our way.  We do it for them 3+days a week, we would like it to be done for us.  If that set aside time doesn't work for you - then you still have the option to do it on your own time - and that would need to be worked with your supervisor.

We want to encourage all of us being together and encouraging each other to improve and make sure poeple know that no matter how busy it gets, we have the time to go do this program and the support back in the workcenter to go do so. 

As an ART we all have the same idea ingrained in us (myself included - I'm a workaholic and want to see stuff done through the end).  We all think that we will never get the support that we need - so why bother.  We want to start changing that (even if it is just in our squadron) and make sure we know that we have each others back - to include AD having ours.  We all have the impression that if "I don't do it - it won't be done, I just don't have the time, supervision won't allow it, the mission won't allow it, etc.".  As an everyday worker - I want to help my co-workers who want to be helped, thats all.  Nothing more, nothing less.    It's a slow and not-so-easy process, but we can start with one thing at a time.  PT seems to be a huge issue (even for myself - I BARELY passed last UTA) and why not start with that?
tigman46  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 9:12:26 PM(UTC)
tigman46

in the last 28 years of being a ART i never meant to post that i don't like it!!! just don't like the way its been heading...were stuck in the middle of Active Duty and part time.....
BUT the sturtured PT during the week for all of us I think might fall under a what IF.... say were all over at the gym working out in as civilians and some one happens to get hurt... how are we covered?? under workmens comp??? our civilian health insurance??? not the military thats for sure!!! its just another one of those ART gray areas!!!!!!!!!! just like we HAVE to retire at 56 but don't get our military side retirement pay for another 4 years......
 we had a ART blow his knee out on a UTA during his F2F run, went to base hospital and they were like well your really not in military status..... he is still waiting to be put on active duty orders for it.....
tigman462012-01-24 05:32:02
Milgl  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 9:28:10 PM(UTC)
Milgl

tigman46 wrote:
in the last 28 years of being a ART i never meant to post that i don't like it!!! just don't like the way its been heading... i too got out of Active Duty to have more control over my own and families lifes.. i never thought a civlian job i was told the military side was only 14 days a year, one weekend a month..
BUT the sturtured PT during the week for all of us I think might falls under a what if.... say were all over at the gym working out in as civilians and some one happens to get hurt... how are we covered?? under workmens comp??? our civilian health insurance??? not the military thats for sure!!!
 we had a ART blow his knee out on a UTA during his F2F run, went to base hospital and they were like well your really not in military status..... he is still waiting to be put on active duty orders for it.....
its just another one of those ART gray areas!!!!!!!!!! just like we have to retire at 56 but don't get our military side retiremeny pay for another 4 years......
Well Tigman,
I can say that here wenever an individual is hurt during a UTA..An LOD is initiated and they are brought to orders immediatley. This to me sounds like a base problem as to why it is a so called "Gray" area
martyb  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 9:29:49 PM(UTC)
martyb

"just like we have to retire at 56 but don't get our military side retiremeny pay for another 4 years......"

Even longer if you're CSRS.  They have 5 years to wait (have to retire at 55).  That's if they have their 30 yrs in. 
Forum trolls to 0%
Milgl  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 10:24:15 PM(UTC)
Milgl

martyb wrote:
"just like we have to retire at 56 but don't get our military side retiremeny pay for another 4 years......"

Even longer if you're CSRS.  They have 5 years to wait (have to retire at 55).  That's if they have their 30 yrs in. 
Marty...that is a case by case basis, every individual is different. I go to 58 for 41 years of total military. It really depends on when you started your civil service career
martyb  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:44:25 AM(UTC)
martyb

Yes...the way it works is that you can't be required to retire before you reach the age/years of service that would allow you to recieve an un-reduced annuity.  In most cases, that would be age 55/30 yrs for CSRS.  For FERS, there's more variation in the age/time combos.  Had I remained an ART, I would be requred to retire on my next birthday in January 2013.  I will turn 55 then, but would have accumulated closer to 36 years due to my active duty time, beginning at age 19.  They just can't make you retire until you reach BOTH the age and time served.  Sounds like you'll do pretty good, just shy of the magic 80%.  Personally, I won't be working past the end of 2013.  I'll be eligible in January, but I'm considering staying till maybe December, to maximize the AL payout with 408 hr and to stuff another $22k in my TSP.

Who knows...maybe we'll even get a .0005 pay raise...martyb2012-01-24 11:51:27
Forum trolls to 0%
Milgl  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:44:18 PM(UTC)
Milgl

Not sure i can last that long? Medical issues are killing me and it won't get better. Thank god i am already drawing a retirement check. At times, i am wishing for a straight civilian job because i alone cannot change things....some things in AFRC are set in their ways! If i did switch, i know i would sure miss the military and the uniform
tigman46  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:08:54 PM(UTC)
tigman46

maybe i should have brought up the retirement issue in another post of its own.
as a ART' we have to retire, . o.k....some 55, some a little later... but then we still can't get out military retirement check until were 60, to me since were almost what you would call full time military now, were forced to retire from ART postions when THEY say..  i think we should at least get that mil retirement check at the same time. but then a straight civilian govt empolyee can keep going as long as they want. which is more my point and that ART gray area.
saylahbrat  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 6:09:27 AM(UTC)
saylahbrat

Milgl wrote:
tigman46 wrote:
in the last 28 years of being a ART i never meant to post that i don't like it!!! just don't like the way its been heading... i too got out of Active Duty to have more control over my own and families lifes.. i never thought a civlian job i was told the military side was only 14 days a year, one weekend a month..
BUT the sturtured PT during the week for all of us I think might falls under a what if.... say were all over at the gym working out in as civilians and some one happens to get hurt... how are we covered?? under workmens comp??? our civilian health insurance??? not the military thats for sure!!!
its just another one of those ART gray areas!!!!!!!!!! just like we have to retire at 56 but don't get our military side retiremeny pay for another 4 years......
Well Tigman,
I can say that here wenever an individual is hurt during a UTA..An LOD is initiated and they are brought to orders immediatley. This to me sounds like a base problem as to why it is a so called "Gray" area
First, let me apologize for returning a comment in such a "curt" manner.  Sometimes it can get a little frustrating for those of us younger ARTs who only hear negative things all day long.  The point I was trying to make is that there are still people who care and there are alot of ART's who want to help each other through the BS, even if it does mean that we get together as a group and do some PT during our 3 hours authorized a week.  All I was looking for was some suggestions and to see if somewhere else was doing it (we had heard rumors).  I work at an associate unit where the reserves are lead and whatever we can do to help each other out, we try.  It's not easy when you have AD looking down their noses at you because they think you don't deserve to be in charge (even though we put in just as much, if not more, time into our jobs). There are things we can't change just by *****ing about them, but until they do - we need to comply.  One of the biggest issues now is PT and this was an idea that was tossed around to help each other out.  thanks...
48cj2a  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:51:19 AM(UTC)
48cj2a

saylahbrat wrote:
Do any reserve units out there offer a formal/structured PT program for ART's who have failed their PT test?  If so, what are the details of the program and do they enforce a set time for ARTs to complete this fitness?   We are not looking to hear about just the standard "you get 3 hours a week for fitness during work hours answer" if that makes any sense.  We are curious what other units are doing to help their personnel get back into standards besides just sitting them in front of a computer to do the Be-fit CBT (which by the way, is a JOKE since it encourages the opposite of helping us get into shape). 

We are a reverse associate with AD and they have several programs set up to help those who fail tests (they even started a PT program for those personnel with profiles!!).  We are just wondering why the wing couldnt possibly set up a fitness program/time for those ART's who want to participate.  If we cover on the job for AD fitness programs, why couldnt they do the same for us on the opposite days?

Anyone, please advise...

I'm an Air Tech and the Army AG has given us 1 hr 5 days a week. We do not have a structured program during the week but at least he has given us a more realistic schedule to work from to get in shape.

On he Mil side I'm on the fatboy program and we are prepping for a CI/ORI this summer. The Commander has ordered all of us to do mandatory PT an hour before UTA begins on Sat/Sun to make himself look good for the CI.
saylahbrat  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2012 9:11:37 AM(UTC)
saylahbrat

5 days a week of PT would be more beneficial to most of us - I wish we got opportunities like that!  The Active guys here are now going to PT everyday (just about). 
tigman46  
#17 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:41:48 AM(UTC)
tigman46

anyone know of any ART's being released from duty for too many failures yet...
saylahbrat  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:07:31 AM(UTC)
saylahbrat

We havent had any released yet - but they are starting to run the reports of who has four or more failures.  I heard a rumor that they are going to take a stripe first, then if they still can't pass then they will move to discharge
Milgl  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:26:00 PM(UTC)
Milgl

tigman46 wrote:
anyone know of any ART's being released from duty for too many failures yet...
1 at Dover...Retirements this year are way up!
Milgl  
#20 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:26:52 PM(UTC)
Milgl

saylahbrat wrote:
We havent had any released yet - but they are starting to run the reports of who has four or more failures.  I heard a rumor that they are going to take a stripe first, then if they still can't pass then they will move to discharge
At 4...we have a board and a package review and a determination is made at that time!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed