Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phrenitis  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:22:32 AM(UTC)
Phrenitis

Groups: Registered

Has anyone ever worked for this Agency? How is the environment there?
east.from.west  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:30:02 AM(UTC)
east.from.west

I have.  Do you have specific questions or concerns?  It's hard to answer this without knowing what you are looking for or what role you would serve.  Are you technical, science, support??  Entry-level, mid, senior?

I hope to be able to answer, if you can give some detail.
Phrenitis  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:42:48 AM(UTC)
Phrenitis

Attorney Advisor (General)

Office of The Solicitor

Job Number: SOL-2012-0004

Pay Plan: GS-0905-12/14

Closed: 10/24/2011

Referred: 11/18/2011

My questions are as followed:

1)    I know this has been asked a thousand times on here, but what kind of timeline am I looking at for rejection, interview, or change in status?

2)    I saw the timeline (from previous post) between being told that you have an interview and the actual interview is  relatively short, so my questions are

a.     Is their something I can do to prepare for aforementioned interview?

b.     What kind of questions do the panel or whatever asks?

3)    Any other information at all that you can share?

This is what I posted somewhere else. If you can add to the answers I already received that would be nice. I just want to know the general atmosphere.
east.from.west  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:06:35 AM(UTC)
east.from.west

I would say (and I know this is not very helpful) that selection practices vary from office to office and region to region within this particular agency.  My impression was that this is based on the local management.  Perhaps someone on the support side can give you better information.  I was hired non-competitively as a student, initially, and I saw many people come through my office in the same manner over the years (we were near a major university), and so my experience is not representative.

That said, I'm also on the tech/science side, and so can't be of any help in knowing what your interview might look like, or even what the atmosphere of the support offices looks like.  I can tell you that the field offices and the science centers are full of very gifted people who love what they do.   Our support personnel were always very attentive to take care of our administrative, legal and financial needs, and followed the letter of the law.  So based on my experience I'd say your job would be one where all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. 

justlooking  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:06:28 PM(UTC)
justlooking

Phrenitis, did you ever get an interview?  I applied for the same position in a different location and just got an email this morning that I was "Eligible-Application Referred to Selecting Official".  Not sure where it goes from here.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
WasUSGS  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 01, 2012 6:08:16 AM(UTC)
WasUSGS

I worked for the USGS as a scientist for many years.  I'd have to say that my primary mission - doing scientific research, was fantastic!  Big smile and that was a lot of why I began to despise the agency. Angry

Over the last decade, in the name of efficiency, they converted everything to web-based.  In the process they have eliminated most of those handy people who used to help you with payroll, budgeting, timesheets, travel, etc.  They have set up a system where they can save on a salary for the GS-7 office assistant and pass off their job to the spare time of the GS-14 scientist.  Needless to say, paying the GS-14 salary for someone to muddle through frequently changing and remembering their many different 14 character passwords (don't write it down!) required to do each of these clerical functions; learning how to navigate through these frequently changing web sites; and then taking frequent annual electronic training, tends to take up about 1/4 of your time.  Then you add in the 1/4 of your time spent with daily e-mail, and another 1/4 attending frequent meetings, and pretty soon you realize that unless you put in 60 hr weeks, that research you love doing will never get done.  Broken Heart  On the bright side - they do keep paying you.  But if you were not in it for the money it can eat at you.

I don't want to complain too much, as my University equivalents put in 70 hour weeks.  But luckily I maxed out my FERS payments for years and can now have great fun doing some research in retirement.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed