Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doolittle  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:23:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

About 5 years ago, my agency decided that the position I and many other people around the country occupy, should be a grade 14 instead of 13. They created a temporary promotion, not to exceed (NTE) three years, for this position. We all had to compete for this promotion, even though it was our own position. We were verbally told that plans were full-steam ahead to make the promotions permanent.

Here I am, approaching 5 years later. The temporary promotion is now almost ending its second one-year extension, giving us a total of five years. During this time, as there have been vacancies in these positions, people are being competitively, temporarily promoted into these positions from other positions elsewhere in the agency. Those peoplw are told up front that the promotions are good for three years, with two one-year extensions, and that at the end of five years, they will be rotated back to the positions from whence they came.

People such as me, who have been in these jobs since back when they were grade 13 positions, are now being told that the temporary promotions are ending for us, and that we will be reverted back to grade 13s. But since the position from which we were promoted is the position we have now, there is no job for us to go back to. We are being told that we will be doing our same job at the grade 13 level, working alongside people who are junior to us in this position, but who will continue to be correctly paid at the 14 level.

How in the heck is this legal? When it's your own agency doing this to you, what recourse is there? If you try calling OPM, they simply tell you that you must go through your agency human resources office. It's apparently my agency's human resources people who are telling my division's management that this is okay.

Any suggestions on what I can do will be greatly appreciated. I and others in this type of position are not part of a bargaining unit.

dhacker56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:42:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
It seems to me you were informed of what was going to happen.  And now it is.  What is your beef?
It is not your concern what someone else makes as long as it does not go against what you were told.

RetirednHappy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:33:30 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What sometimes occurs with this situation is that all eligible employees are assigned to rotate through the "new" position(s), so management can evaluate performance by each employee. Once the rotation has completed, the best performers are selected to permanently fill the positions (GS-14 in your case), while the remainder are returned to their lower grades (GS-13 in your case). Let the process run it's course; good luck !
Doolittle  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:01:31 AM(UTC)

Before I posted here, I scanned through the forums. I obviously should have examined it more closely. dhacker56, I went back and looked at your 100 most recent posts to get an idea of why you responded to my sincere request for help in such a snarky manner. While you are obviously a proficient poster here, nothing of yours I read contributed to the discussion at hand. So at least you were consistent when commenting on my question.

Despite your thought provoking question of, "What is your beef?" I did ask a legitimate question. When the demotion of which I described takes effect, I and my coworkers will still be performing the exact same duties under the same PD. The only difference is that I will be paid at one grade less than them. Merit system principles in the federal government support the public's expectations of a system that is efficient, effective, fair, open to all, free from political interference, and staffed by honest, competent and dedicated employees. One of those merit system principles is that equal pay should be provided for work of equal value.

While you, dhacker56, might hold government managers in high reverence and believe them to be infallible, they do frequently make bad decisions. I suggest subscribing to the MSPB Decision ListServ if you don't believe me.

I regret my intrusion here and will leave you to carry on as usual.

dhacker56  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:52:44 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Buzz off Doolittle!  If people would worry about what affects them and not stick their nose in to other people's affairs the world would be better off.  You are getting what was promised you, are you not?

the rock99  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2012 6:09:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Doolittle wrote:
About 5 years ago, my agency decided that the position I and many other people around the country occupy, should be a grade 14 instead of 13. They created a temporary promotion, not to exceed (NTE) three years, for this position. We all had to compete for this promotion, even though it was our own position. We were verbally told that plans were full-steam ahead to make the promotions permanent.

Here I am, approaching 5 years later. The temporary promotion is now almost ending its second one-year extension, giving us a total of five years. During this time, as there have been vacancies in these positions, people are being competitively, temporarily promoted into these positions from other positions elsewhere in the agency. Those peoplw are told up front that the promotions are good for three years, with two one-year extensions, and that at the end of five years, they will be rotated back to the positions from whence they came.

People such as me, who have been in these jobs since back when they were grade 13 positions, are now being told that the temporary promotions are ending for us, and that we will be reverted back to grade 13s. But since the position from which we were promoted is the position we have now, there is no job for us to go back to. We are being told that we will be doing our same job at the grade 13 level, working alongside people who are junior to us in this position, but who will continue to be correctly paid at the 14 level.

How in the heck is this legal? When it's your own agency doing this to you, what recourse is there? If you try calling OPM, they simply tell you that you must go through your agency human resources office. It's apparently my agency's human resources people who are telling my division's management that this is okay.

Any suggestions on what I can do will be greatly appreciated. I and others in this type of position are not part of a bargaining unit.

Unless they actually created a new position description for the job, you are probably out of luck.  You need to get a copy of the PD for both your job and the temporary one they created if they are exactly the same you may have a shot at an appeal, if they didn't create one, or they are different you are out of luck.
Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:51:14 AM(UTC)

Wish you the best.
texasvet54  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:40:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Doolittle,

Having been in management for many years, and recently retired, I learned this:  They can do whatever they want and there isn't much that you can do about it unless your position is part of a bargaining unit and there is a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) in place.

Unless Title 5 has changed, if you are in the higher grade position for even one day more than a year, if you return to your lower grade, you keep the pay.  So, that is the good news.

I would keep asking about the situation from time to time in a professional manner and see what happens.  I know it can be frustrating.  I was a temporary manager for more than 13 months before being made permanent.  I think that the only reason that they finally made my selection was because I told them that I wanted to be returned to my Position of Record because it wasn't fair to me or my co-workers to be working for a temporary manager for that long.  They made my selection shortly thereafter and in true form for my agency, they didn't tell me for almost two weeks.  I had people calling to congratulate me and I told them that I had heard nothing.  Go figure.

Good Luck,
TexasVet

Rss Feed  Atom Feed