Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
o13starsnstripes  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:20:43 AM(UTC)
o13starsnstripes

Groups: Registered

The Pentagon will abandon its ability to fight long, drawn-out wars like the ones fought in Afghanistan and Iraq as it enters the next decade.

Instead, the size of the military will shrink, as expected, and the Pentagon will focus its efforts on the Pacific as China’s military and influence in the region grows, according to the eight-page strategy designed to inform more than $450 billion in cuts to planned defense spending over the next decade.

President Obama also said the Defense Department will re-examine its mix of active component and reserve troops, with the expectation that reserves will continue to play the prominent role they have over the past decade.

The strategy backs the Air Force’s new bomber program, which the service had lobbied for extensively over the last year.

In addition, the strategy notes the United States is “investing in a long-term strategic partnership with India.”

The Pentagon will abandon its long-time ability to fight two major wars simultaneously but will still be able to deny an aggressor in a second region while already engaged in another.

In Europe, the military’s posture will “evolve,” however, the strategy does not say how.

The military will also reduce its nuclear weapons stockpile.

The strategy does not mention specific weapons programs.

Obama was scheduled to discuss the strategy during a late morning briefing at the Pentagon. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and other senior defense officials are also scheduled to appear.

The Pentagon also plans to cut overhead, headquarters and other support spending, although the strategy does not propose specific cuts. The strategy says DoD must find further efficiencies in its business practices.

DoD also plans to reduce the growth of compensation and health-care costs, although the strategy said “we will keep faith with those who serve.”

" Welcome to Loserville. Population: You. " - Deadpool
hustonj  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:41:51 AM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Strange, when I read the write-ups on CNN and BBC, the statement was not that the DoD was abandoning the ability to handle long-term events, but it was abonding the pretense of being able to directly engage fully in two events at the same time.  Instead, the goal would be to be able to directly engage in a single evnet, and to provide a delaying action at the second until the nation either plussed up enough to handle two events again, or it concluded the first event.

BTW, since Congress keeps refusing to declare war, I refuse to use the term war to describe the engagements which they authorize.
o13starsnstripes  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:34:50 AM(UTC)
o13starsnstripes

hustonj wrote:

BTW, since Congress keeps refusing to declare war, I refuse to use the term war to describe the engagements which they authorize.

You and I are on the same page on that one. Here's a question can our nation/our military fight the third world war on the second world war guidelines? That I always wonder about
polypasser  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:00:37 AM(UTC)
polypasser

hustonj wrote:

i guess "contingency operation" doesn't roll off the tongue like war does.
Vettor  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:21:35 AM(UTC)
Vettor

hustonj wrote:

There is an easy fix to this.  We need to just declare war on the Universe so at least that will encompass everything here on Earth.  I think we can accomplish this if Santorum is elected president and we get some more Patriotic Neo-Cons in Congress.  
Veteran unemployment to 0%.
o13starsnstripes  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:31:52 PM(UTC)
o13starsnstripes

Really? I figured at this point we were already at war with every single thing on the face of the planet Earth and have made it our mission to basically kill everyone and anyone.
oktoots  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2012 4:17:54 AM(UTC)
oktoots

He calls himself Vettor, but I say, Welcome back, Sea Salt! It wasn't easy being a suspended troll. Your anti-everyone who was not a vet rhetoric is getting very old, so you need to take the helmet off and get some help. Give the VA something to crow about; getting you to realize that you are a civilian now and will never have to take orders from the military again.
  No need to worry about military-civilian relations. Find another hobby. 
multiple identities to 0%
Vettor  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2012 4:42:34 AM(UTC)
Vettor

oktoots wrote:
He calls himself Vettor, but I say, Welcome back, Sea Salt! It wasn't easy being a suspended troll. Your anti-everyone who was not a vet rhetoric is getting very old, so you need to take the helmet off and get some help. Give the VA something to crow about; getting you to realize that you are a civilian now and will never have to take orders from the military again.
  No need to worry about military-civilian relations. Find another hobby. 

You sounds like a real anti-veteran HR crony.  Stick to the topic and quit trolling. 
Veteran unemployment to 0%.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed