Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Froggy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:42:14 AM(UTC)
Froggy

Groups: Registered

How good are CPAs chances in getting to the Q.  I do not want this to be just another one of those "how good of a chance do I have" threads, but more of a general question.  How does the FBI compare a CPA to a person in LE with military experience, for example.  Honestly most CPAs have a Bachelors and many of them have Masters Degrees.  Most CPAs go to college then work at a public accounting firm then move into a corporate position.  How does the FBI differentiate between these people early in the application process?
If the only distinguishing characteristics a person has is that they were a CPA in audit for a Big 4 firm (Deloitte, KPMG, EY, and PwC).  What are their odds of getting an opportunity to take phase 1?  Lets be honest this is pretty much the route most high achieving CPAs go, and as such they have nothing really to hang their hats on.
jrhoads  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:13:43 AM(UTC)
jrhoads

If you meet the minimum qualifications for the SA position you will be afforded the opportunity to sit at P1 testing.

It is after that where you will need to differentiate yourself from other applicants. From my understanding the needs of the FBI change and it would be hard to determine exactly what skills they will be seeking during an application opening.

You can dig through budget proposals to look for trends in staffing requests; this will give you an idea of what areas in which they are looking to increase their agent base. But as far as your individual chances, who knows? It is all about what you have done and the experiences you bring to the table.

A good person to answer your individual questions would be the SA in charge of recruiting at your local field office.

fly81  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:18:07 AM(UTC)
fly81

I agree with jrhoads. It's hard to tell what kind of skills they're looking for and the best time to ask would probably be during a meet and greet which takes place sometime after passing Phase I testing. In the meantime, when the FBI accepts applications again, you should just apply and see what happens. You could call your SA/local office but because, in the end, it's up to headquarters to decide, it's hard to know why one applicant was selected and not another. It depends on their needs at that specific time.
Hope that helps! Best of luck!
soccermike  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:29:44 AM(UTC)
soccermike

What kind of experience do you have?
Froggy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:15:47 AM(UTC)
Froggy

BBA - Finance & Accounting- GPA 3.8
Masters of Accounting - GPA 3.6
CPA
2.5 years Big 4 Audit experience - private and public clients (including fortune 500 and 1000 clients)

Like I said this seems pretty generic, but I anticipate this to be somewhat of a standard application that the FBI receives from accountants.  So does a person like this have anychance at all or will they need something that makes them stand out (foreign language, forensic accounting experience, etc)
Wolverine85  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:03:47 AM(UTC)
Wolverine85

To be a Special Agent one must have 3 years of professional experience. That being said go for it. The next special agent announcement will be in September. Whats the worst that can happen?
Ol Sarge  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:44:05 AM(UTC)
Ol Sarge

I'm not sure if that is completely accurate. I believe a licensed CPA does not have to have he 3 year work experience. The FBI website provides some clarity into this, take a peak.

I dont think I am qualified to address how competitive or not competitive you would be so I will let others give commentary there.
Froggy  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 4:19:01 AM(UTC)
Froggy

I thought having a graduate degree cut off one of the reequired years of professional work experience?  Am I mistaken on that?

To qualify under the accounting qualification you either need three years of accounting experience or be CPA.  I possess my CPA liscense, but you also need to meet the minimum special agent requirements which is 3 years (2 years if you possess a masers; unless I am wrong on that)
Froggy2012-04-13 12:25:18
mcbooya  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:11:37 AM(UTC)
mcbooya

My AC made a comment a few weeks ago at my M&G that if I was a CPA my chances would be a lot better.  Take that as you will. 

Rss Feed  Atom Feed