Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

78 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bulletinboard  
#101 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:13:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Kumary,

I don't think that is the norm. I was told that they do not have enough staff to process your annuity and they take them as they receive them. Who knows what they are doing. Maybe they put mine at the bottom of the pile because I keep complaining.LOL I will keep you posted.

dsouper  
#102 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:27:34 PM(UTC)

Retired 12/31/11.  HR sent papers 1/31/12.  Got lump sum 1/13/12.  Got CSA# 1-9-12.  No annuity yet.  Emailed OPM about annuity on Monday.  Haven't heard anything yet.
Tryno  
#103 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:08:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Kumary wrote:
@bulletinboard - Have you heard if this is the norm for transFERS?  I just retired 12/31 and am a transfer.  I wondered if OPM was prepared for transfers retiring.  Hope I get someone that knows what they are doing.  Keep us updated on your case.  Thanks.

Kumary, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to OPM's processing.  I retired June 4, 2011 as FERS.  All with one agency, only "complicating" factor to mine was that I went out with a VERA (if you want to call that a complication).   I'm still not finalized.  Others have retired in Nov 2011 and are already finalized. There just doesn't seem to be a system in place at OPM.  They are obviously not working on the oldest files first.  Whether you are FERS, CSRS, or purple with pink dots it's just seems a random process as to you gets finalized and who doesn't. 

Really it doesn't even seem to be the processing time, I've heard that a normal file can be processed in a few hours.  It's the time waiting to reach a processor.  It seems some files get used to hold up the broken leg on the desk in the back corner of the basement.  If your's happens to be one of those............ 
Marilyn Lattimer  
#104 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:31:06 PM(UTC)
Kumary

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks. I'm not going to get nervous yet, I know from reading all the posts that this may (or may not who knows) take awhile.  I can wait my turn, but I really feel for the ones like you that retired earlier last year and aren't finalized yet.  That's not right. 
miranda7438  
#105 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:34:56 PM(UTC)

miranda7438  
#106 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:37:42 PM(UTC)

Retired September 31st. Still waiting. Last call to OPM customer service last week. I was told case not assigned yet but would probably be assigned in March and finalized mid April. Wait and see.
jrwelp  
#107 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:27:14 PM(UTC)

Just adding my 2 cents - Retired June 3, 2011 - tried calling numerous times, kept on hold for long periods, then phone goes dead.  Emailed Charles.Hardman@opm.gov - on Nov 29, 2011 - received a READ receipt, but NO other response.

Just tried to email 'ombudsman@opm.gov' - and it was returned UNDELIVERABLE!

I worked for one agency  at one location for my entire career - CSRS -  no military buyback, no court orders, it couldn't be much more simple, but so far NOTHING!

I don't think OPM would have ever won any awards for "speed", but doesn't it seem that under the current administration, the "backlog" is almost deliberate....Censored

getting close  
#108 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:13:45 PM(UTC)

United States

jrwelp wrote:
Just adding my 2 cents - Retired June 3, 2011 - tried calling numerous times, kept on hold for long periods, then phone goes dead.  Emailed Charles.Hardman@opm.gov - on Nov 29, 2011 - received a READ receipt, but NO other response.

Just tried to email 'ombudsman@opm.gov' - and it was returned UNDELIVERABLE!

I worked for one agency  at one location for my entire career - CSRS -  no military buyback, no court orders, it couldn't be much more simple, but so far NOTHING!

I don't think OPM would have ever won any awards for "speed", but doesn't it seem that under the current administration, the "backlog" is almost deliberate....Censored

That's terrible, and yet another example of how random the process is. I retired the same day and have been finalized for 3 months and I know others that retired that day that were finalized before me.

Do you know what section is processing your retirement? (Maybe the reference to Charles Hardman is a clue but I don't know who that is.)

getting close2012-02-24 05:19:27
Dot  
#109 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:55:04 PM(UTC)
Angel1955

No interim??? -
jrwelp  
#110 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 2:18:04 AM(UTC)

I have been getting an interim - exactly why I've tried to be patient (as opposed to alot of the others here, who's situations are much worse)!  But isn't the whole thing ridiculous?

I know if my job performance had ever been anywhere close to this bad, I wouldn't have been able to retire - I would have been fired!

I don't know what "section" is doing my processing - as far as I know, it hasn't even been assigned.  I can't get any answers. 

My main point was that my case is one of the "SIMPLE" ones - I did receive a letter in August or September saying they had ALL my paperwork!?!

JimEli  
#111 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 2:45:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
jrwelp wrote:
I have been getting an interim - exactly why I've tried to be patient (as opposed to alot of the others here, who's situations are much worse)!  But isn't the whole thing ridiculous?

I know if my job performance had ever been anywhere close to this bad, I wouldn't have been able to retire - I would have been fired!

I don't know what "section" is doing my processing - as far as I know, it hasn't even been assigned.  I can't get any answers. 

My main point was that my case is one of the "SIMPLE" ones - I did receive a letter in August or September saying they had ALL my paperwork!?!

I'm only guessing, but if covered under 6c that may put one into a special category.
tigerseye  
#112 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 3:32:19 AM(UTC)

OK Jrwelp, Try the ombudsman again but note they've changed the email address to ombuds@opm.gov and this is his office info (new I believe): http://www.opm.gov/ombuds which has a FAQ section about what they do and don't do.

For the calls, I've always had success calling first thing in the morning Tues-Fri when they open up at 7:30am eastern, though recently everybody else has been calling because its tax time, or recent retirees are trying to get through. If the wait is too long on hold for you or your calls are being dropped, or if you even have trouble getting past the busy signal, you can try the DC phone number which gets you into the same office in Boyers without some of those hassles:  202-606-0500.

Good luck getting through next try. Sorry to hear about your long wait to get final. 
jrwelp  
#113 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 3:37:29 AM(UTC)

Thanks for everyone's input and advice!  I should probably know this, but what is a "6C" category?

JimEli  
#114 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 5:30:38 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

jrwelp wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input and advice!  I should probably know this, but what is a "6C" category?

6c refers to 5 U.S.C. 8336(c), which establishes special retirement eligibility for law enforcement officers and firefighters employed under the Civil Service Retirement System
getting close  
#115 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 7:27:56 AM(UTC)

United States

jrwelp wrote:

When they say it hasn't been assigned, they mean it hasn't been assigned to a particular reviewer. I guarantee you it has been assigned to a particular section since that happens very early on. If you call the Customer Service people, they can tell you what section it was sent to and when.

The reason I ask this is that it might give you another avenue to pursue. Rather than going to the ombudsman, I e-mailed the head of the division that included the section to which my application was sent, and I was finalized within a couple of weeks.
dsouper  
#116 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 9:37:59 PM(UTC)

I applied for retirement in Apr '11 for a 12/31/11 retirement date.  HR acknowledged receipt in May.   They sent my package to OPM (per HR on the phone).  In November (week of Thanksgiving) they received my change of address and change in life insurance.  I called them to make sure they got it.  They sent the updates to my package that same week (per HR on the phone).  I received a letter from HR (dated 12-31-11) that they sent my package to OPM and to allow 6-8 weeks for my interim check.    WRONG! 
According to OPM when I called 2-23-12 that they received the package 2-2-12 and to allow 6-8 weeks for the check!  I feel this needs to be escalated just to get my first check, right?
DC2  
#117 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:04:40 PM(UTC)

dsouper wrote:
I applied for retirement in Apr '11 for a 12/31/11 retirement date.  HR acknowledged receipt in May.   They sent my package to OPM (per HR on the phone).  In November (week of Thanksgiving) they received my change of address and change in life insurance.  I called them to make sure they got it.  They sent the updates to my package that same week (per HR on the phone).  I received a letter from HR (dated 12-31-11) that they sent my package to OPM and to allow 6-8 weeks for my interim check.    WRONG! 

According to OPM when I called 2-23-12 that they received the package 2-2-12 and to allow 6-8 weeks for the check!  I feel this needs to be escalated just to get my first check, right?

It is odd that your HR told you they were sending your paperwork to OPM prior to your separation.

You should receive your first interim payment any day now.

Here is a excerpt from OPM's Strategic Plan for Retirement Services (Section III. Interim Pay) from a link that JimEli provided in another thread: link to Strategic Plan for Retirement Services

Retirees are authorized to receive their first interim payment in an average of five to seven business days from the date the agency’s electronic file or paper records are received by OPM and payments are made in the next payment cycle. Typically, OPM receives these records about 30 days after an employee’s separation for retirement.
dsouper  
#118 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 10:29:59 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the Strategic Plan info.  Yes, I agree it's odd they said they sent the package before my retirement date.  But, it's hard telling whom to believe when you look at this timeline of events. 

It helps to see this Strategic Plan info of 30 days after retirement date to work on the interim checks.  However, how did some people get their checks the middle of February?  I'm confused.  Again, whom do you believe...OPM or HR?

Thanks again for your help!
68gto  
#119 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 11:32:55 PM(UTC)

Since you have up until the day of retirement (as stated in your papers) to cancel your retirement --- I don't see HR sending papers to OPM before then. Else how could you cancel?

Marilyn Lattimer  
#120 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 11:45:00 PM(UTC)
Kumary

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I can't imagine any agency taking that risk of sending in retirement papers before clearance, but sounds like this agency sent it in a month late (2/2).  My welcome to retirement letter from OPM was dated January 6 and I got my first interim on Feb. 10. Kumary2012-02-25 07:51:24
Rss Feed  Atom Feed