Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lunga  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:48:24 PM(UTC)
lunga

Groups: Registered

The VA (and it looks like other agencies) has this generic posting in USAjobs, saying "Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types." However, further down it says "This announcement does not guarantee vacancies in specific jobs, grades, or locations." So a few questions:

1. What does this generic posting accomplish? Is it just an advertising for Sched A? Or perhaps a sign that the agency(ies) are trying to recruit/hire disabled people to meet their quota?

2. If an agency is on some sort of hiring restriction or freeze, are they still allowed to hire someone through Sched A (i.e., is a Sched A FTE exempt from a hiring ceiling)?

3. Can one apply to this generic announcement, and if so does your application just float around in limbo waiting for the rare chance that a hiring manager might notice it?

4. When applying to a position open only to government employees, does a Sched A candidate have more preference than a permanent FTE?

Sorry for all the q's, but I'm new to all this disability angle, so trying to understanding the "hiring side's" rules (which are not spelled out that clearly by OPM).

Thanks!
SemperPup  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 07, 2012 3:55:25 PM(UTC)
SemperPup

hey lunga,

i'm not tryin to blow smoke up your skirt, but maybe there's a chance va is trying to hire disabled because it's the right thing to do.  if they make a quota because of it, cool.

i may be wrong, but i think schedule a can apply for anything they're qualified for--not sure what where sched a is in the pecking order, but i'm pretty sure sched a can be hired non-competitively.  so it's good to be "a".  

if you want your application to be noticed, meet some people on the unit where you wanna work.  find out who the selecting official is, and don't be afraid to contact 'em, to see if they've made a decision or if your name is on the most recent cert.  hey, and find out if sched a can be hired non-competatively--from the employers perspective, that knocks a whole *****load of problems out of the way.

good luck.

s/f
s/f<br />vr/semperpup<br /><br />one man with courage, is a majority.
lunga  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:50:36 AM(UTC)
lunga

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I added too many secondary questions to what I'm really interested in. My fault, so I'll try and rephrase:

If the generic posting under this title says "If you are an individual with a disability or disabilities, you can apply for positions even when there are no current vacancies or open announcements."

1. Does this mean that I can apply for (and potentially be matched to) a position even if there is no vacancy? Or I'm just putting my resume in a pool from which it can be non-competitively selected?

2. Under sched A, can I be hired independent of any Federal government hiring freeze or restiction?

Thanks.
Beagle1AD  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:07:51 PM(UTC)
Beagle1AD

lunga wrote:

2. Under sched A, can I be hired independent of any Federal government hiring freeze or restiction?

NO, there is something called a budget, there isn't a separate budget for hiring disabled employees.
Beagle1AD2012-01-10 22:13:20
MT principessa  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:23:34 AM(UTC)
MT principessa

Yes Beagle is correct.  The EO signed by the President in July of 2010 would make you believe that there is funding set aside to "encourage" agencies to hire folks with disabilities.  Not true.  I checked all the way up to DC.  There isn't a cent of funding attached to the EO.  An agency has to have a "plan" to hire folks with disabilities, but they don't have to.  In the case of a hiring freeze, the hiring freeze goes for "all hiring", period.

So basically the EO calling for agencies to hire folks with disabilites.....is a nice group of words written by someone who means well. 

Any time to read an EO, look for the "funding", if there isn't any, then agencies can do as they please with their labor budget.
Matyoka  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:42:22 AM(UTC)
Matyoka

Hello there,

This is a great topic as many Federal Agencies have no idea how to handle a job application based on Schedule A. To top it off, I have experienced that the people, the Selective Placement Program Coordinators, whose jobs are basically to help the vets and disabled be placed within the Fed system have no clue of the policies. I have been a Federal Officer with DHS for a decade now and I also have severe congenital defects that affect both feet. As I am getting older my condition is slowly starting to affect my abilities to perform my duties and started applying for "sedentary positions" within my and other Federal Agencies. I figured that Schedule A will help my case as I have certifications from surgeons that I need to get off my feet. I believe I applied for over 75 positions as a Schedule A certified individual... and I am still nowhere in the process. Contacted High Management within OPM and DOL but all my correspondence fell on deaf ears. The bottom line is: NOBODY CARES UNLESS THE ISSUE HITS THE MEDIA... According to OPM and Americans with Disabilities Act, a Schedule A applicant can walk in to any Agency, hand over a resume and apply directly for a position that he/she is qualified for. I did that, and people stared at me like I was just released from a mental institution. I knew that HR personnel has no formal training in any of this stuff, so I printed out the Schedule A handbook and handed to them with a smile on my face. To make this story short, anyone trying to get aboard a federal Agency as a disabled... well, good luck because you will need it. The system is not designed for people like us and like MT Princessa described, they are well written words but lacks the backing being financial or personal.

I hope this helps...  

Matyoka2012-04-14 09:48:26
PluckyCharmz  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:08:19 AM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

Yeah, I applied to a ton of positions that I qualify for using Schedule A and contacted the Special Placement Coordinators at the agencies I wanted to work for. This pretty much got me nowhere and the Special Placement Coordinators are not very useful. I did get referred to the status positions more but rarely, if ever, got interviewed from them.

I landed a Federal job three months ago but it was off of a regular Open to US Citizens announcement where I didn't even use Schedule A. I think it worked out better for me because when I talked to HR about special accommodations she said that I didn't need Schedule A for special accommodations and being Schedule A makes you "excepted service" for two years and I actually have more protection being career conditional.

Matyoka  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:54:37 AM(UTC)
Matyoka

Congrats on your apointment Smile. Feels good to see positive feedback from people with disabilities...
catlover68  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:05:02 AM(UTC)
catlover68

That's great, Plucky!  Congratulations on your appointment!  catlover682012-04-27 07:33:19
PluckyCharmz  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:40:19 AM(UTC)
PluckyCharmz

Thanks everybody! I'm very happy and feel blessed that I got in, especially on a regular Open announcement.

catlover, I am sorry to hear your position didn't work out. I know how hard you were working to get hired on at the place you were volunteering. I really hope something else opens up for you.

I work for the National Institutes of Health and it seems they are good about hiring people with disabilities because I work with several and see several others in my building. I don't know if they used Schedule A.

Alucard41  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:39:14 PM(UTC)
Alucard41

I am someone with a disability and could write a book or two on just how awful the Federal Government's hiring practices are. Worse still is the failure of Schedule A. The idea is wonderful as is the plethora of legislation and even Presidential
Orders. There is a huge chasm that exists between these entities and the final
decision makers within Federal Agencies. The eventual hiring authorities and HR related people not only disregard Schedule
A or merely use it as a token in order to make some type of numbers,
but actually don't know the rules nor do they show any respect for the good it
could do our country and economy. It's almost comical that most HR people don't even know who their SPPC is
or even what it is. Phone or email three quarters of them and either the number is disconnected or the email bounces back. These
problems stem from a lack of awareness more than anything else and could be corrected using a business development approach. 

On a related note, very
talented people, disabled or not, are being passed over so that Herbert and
Bertha, existing twenty year Federal employees, can move up. Oh and, by the
way, neither Herbert or Bertha have any experience outside the Federal Government and can't put together a complete sentence let alone manage anyone.

Lastly, these issues
are like a perfect storm-you have existing Federal Employees who are woefully
prepared to learn or approach anything outside of their tiny comfort zones on
the one side and out of touch, albeit well meaning, politicians on the other side.  I could go on but I'm sure many of you know the score.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed