Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bdog12  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:58:27 PM(UTC)
bdog12

Groups: Registered

I will check with personnel when I get back to work but I was hoping to get an answer that would alleviate some stress.

I recently accepted a promotion and will be starting as a 13 this week!  During open season I selected BCBS basic as my insurance. My wife and I don't like it. I was wondering if I would be able to upgrade to standard since I am accepting a new position at a higher grade? Also, the position I am taking is within the same region but in another state with a higher locality pay. They offered relocation expenses but we didn't want to move. B/w flexiplace and AWS we figured we'd stay where we are

Any answers today would be great. Like I said I will check with personnel when I get in the office tomorrow. Just thought I would see if I could get an answer from someone on here today.
BobLoblaw  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:10:09 AM(UTC)
BobLoblaw

No....only during open season, unless you have a change in family status (such as getting married) or you move to a location not served by your current plan.
dhacker56  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:39:56 AM(UTC)
dhacker56

Bob is correct.  the only other option would be if the FEHB you ashve now is not offered where you will be living after the promotion. Not the case with BCBS.

bdog12  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:50:59 AM(UTC)
bdog12

Not the answer i was hoping for...but i appreciate your responses. I thought that maybe bc the locality was diff. i could switch.  thanks again
BobLoblaw  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 12:57:36 AM(UTC)
BobLoblaw

you're welcome....and congratulations on your promotion!
Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 1:17:32 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Congratulations on your promotion.  I have BCBS standard and it has been good for me and my family.  OPM won't allow this type of change until open season.

upandup  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 5:39:41 AM(UTC)
upandup

There are a large number of reasons allowing changes outside of open season, but a promotion isn't one of them. (Duty station going from domestic to foreign is one, but not a different state.)

Check out the whole list here; it is possible something else applies in your life:

BCBS Standard is quite expensive and BCBS Basic provides better benefits in some cases (as long as you can deal with the network restrictions).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed