Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Retirees

For those approaching retirement as well as the currently already retired, here is a forum to share ideas and thoughts and exchange questions and answers.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

To maximize your retirement, we also suggest you read "Retired Federal Employees Almanac".

(Reminder: soliciting of services is not allowed on this site.)

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
physicsdog  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:59:54 AM(UTC)
physicsdog

Groups: Registered

All:

Saw this and wondered if anyone else who has retired as a DoD civilian has gotten this card and used it at any DoD bases/posts/stations...

I realize that the Base Commander can restrict use of MWR facilities for a variety of reasons but I would think a lot of installations wouldn't mind my money. I know I can't use the Exchange or Commissary but everything else seems available with the understanding that Active is first in line followed by military retired in second place - DOD retired Civilians are in third place (I am not complaining).

The Department of Defense has authorized retired DoD civilian employees an identification card. This card is a trusted credential used to establish identity and affiliation with the Department of Defense and will provide retired DoD civilians with a uniform DoD identification card that can be easily recognized at any DoD base or facility within the United States and its territories or possessions. Those eligible for the card are civilians who retire from any DoD Service Component or Agency. A sample DoD civilian retiree card is displayed below:

Anyone use theirs yet??? Any problems???
bbcinc  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:14:07 AM(UTC)
bbcinc

I was planning to get one being retired DoD (AF) but the lady at DEERS made me feel enough of a second (or third) class user I decided not to pursue it -- had enough of that while I was an active civilian. I'll take my money elsewhere.

RetirednHappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:45:03 AM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

Received DoD ID card upon retiring 3 years ago. Obviously not for use at Commissary/Exchange/ etc., but I use it from time to time for access to recycling site on base. No issues with use to date.
martyb  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:47:26 AM(UTC)
martyb

On the base near where I'm retiring, there is a great, modern fitness center, a very well supplied MWR facility with boats, campers, outdoor equipment etc. etc.  There are several well-stocked lakes & ponds on base that provide some great fishing, lands that can be hunted, garden plots available...and much more.  I will definitely utilize the military facilities that are available to me.  In addition to all of the facilities available to DoD civilian retirees...I also am a USAF Reserve retiree, so I can shop the commissary, BX, Shoppette etc.  Oh....forgot to mention the auto hobby shop, woodworking shop, golf course (may have to take up golf, LOL).  And lots of other cool stuff.  It's definitely worth getting your card, if you're eligible.
Forum trolls to 0%
physicsdog  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:47:45 AM(UTC)
physicsdog

Just Curious...

Did you have to stop at Pass and ID to show them the card and then get a visitors pass made up for access to the Post/Base or did the Gate Guard allow accces to the base?
martyb  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:49:26 AM(UTC)
martyb

That's gonna depend on the individual base....some are more casual than others at the gate.  At Barksdale AFB, your card will get you on, no pass.  For now that is....they do change up the procedures from time to time.
martyb2012-01-17 15:56:15
Forum trolls to 0%
Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:14:01 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Some stores will accept it for a govt discount.  
LinkC  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:45:57 AM(UTC)
LinkC

I got mine when I turned in my CAC card. Haven't used it much, but a few times.   I use it more for the Lowes discount.   I still have to stop for a vehicle pass on the way in, but don't have the hassle of a temp badge.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" <br />--what Reagan REALLY said.
Fed1969  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:48:46 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

I was told DOD retires can go to any DOD pass office and get one.  They need to wait a month or so, to make sure HR has updated the records.
bbcinc  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:27:36 PM(UTC)
bbcinc

The office I turned my CAC into barely knew how to process it, much less to issue a retiree ID!

Former_KAFB  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:37:28 AM(UTC)
Former_KAFB

When I retire (Tuesday, December 31, 2013), I plan to use the ID card to access the Gym facilities, the Lodging facilities, Club facilities and whatever else  will be eligible to use.
Add that to the current use for discount in hotels, movie tickets, cell phone use (T-Mobile),etc.
This, I will do.

Cool
LinkC  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:09:09 AM(UTC)
LinkC

Yes, you do have to be in retired status.   I turned in my CAC and got the new one on my way out the gate... With my retirement orders in hand.   At our facility it's called PSD, Personnel Support Detachment, I think DEERS can also do it.   Good luck.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" <br />--what Reagan REALLY said.
Raoul  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:57:29 AM(UTC)
Raoul

Man
United States

physicsdog wrote:
...I realize that the Base Commander can restrict use of MWR facilities for a variety of reasons...
 There is really only one reason, money.
MWR programs are self sufficient. An installation Commander would want robust MWR programs. Under utilization could lead to loss of the benefit for military member, which means DOD retiree participation would be welcomed.
At the other end, military members could report "I can't ever rent a canoe" or they need to book a cottage two years in advance. This could lead to a Commander decree, "Get these DOD retirees out of here."
So, there is no across the board acceptance or denial for retirees at installation MWR programs, it just depends.
And if you are denied, check back because things change.
At the least, commanders are rotated out every couple of years.     

My DOD retiree card helped me land a delivery job.(getting in the gates)Thumbs Up

Former_KAFB  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:56:02 PM(UTC)
Former_KAFB

Raoul wrote:
physicsdog wrote:
...I realize that the Base Commander can restrict use of MWR facilities for a variety of reasons...
 There is really only one reason, money.
MWR programs are self sufficient. An installation Commander would want robust MWR programs. Under utilization could lead to loss of the benefit for military member, which means DOD retiree participation would be welcomed.
At the other end, military members could report "I can't ever rent a canoe" or they need to book a cottage two years in advance. This could lead to a Commander decree, "Get these DOD retirees out of here."
So, there is no across the board acceptance or denial for retirees at installation MWR programs, it just depends.
And if you are denied, check back because things change.
At the least, commanders are rotated out every couple of years.     

My DOD retiree card helped me land a delivery job.(getting in the gates)Thumbs Up

Hmmm.....this reminds me of a time when I was assigned to an Air Reserve Base, I was told that at one time (prior to my arrival) they allowed DOD Civil servants use of the BX/Commissary.
I was also told that when a new Base Commander arrived saw this, he terminated that policy. After a while, the facility struggled to make ends meet...closing half of the bulding, moving the alterations shop and clothing/uniform store in the same building.
Finally, the inevitable happened and doors were closed.

Pardon for the off topic...this brought memories.

Cool

physicsdog  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:15:53 AM(UTC)
physicsdog

I want to thank everyone for giving me information and experiences which I have not had - so far...

The reason that motivated me to ask the question is because I have an RV in the long term storage lot provided by MWR. It costs me $33/month to store my RV there. For comparable storage in the local area it would most probably run about $75-125/month with no real security for the unit.

Here, the long term storage lot is right behind the Security Police HQ and their co-located K9 unit - I figure someone would have to be truly nuts to monkey around with that many teeth and fire-power nearby.

I like to golf and there are 27 holes available. Great Auto Hobby shop is also nearby and I just like to be around the military - by and large they are easier to get along with than the general populace in the area.

I am hoping there isn't too great a hassle after I retire from my Civil Service job as to getting on and off base to get to the RV and the other facilities I am allowed to use.

PLEASE KEEP THOSE EXPERIENCES COMING. They are (bad and good) the only way I can learn vicariously.

Dog
MS  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:53:48 AM(UTC)
MS

MS  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:10:36 AM(UTC)
MS

Hi!  I left on 31 Dec - my CAC appt is 31 Jan.  Currently, I'm still in my hometown - 2 miles outside Fort Belvoir, VA.  According to their website, all MWR facilities/activities are wide open.  Sure wish that included PX/commissary, however, the short cut through post is also a great benefit.  I plan on exploring - whatever they offer will be less expensive than on the economy.

For me, it's a no-brainer, but my advice is go for it - you earned it, and none of us know what the future holds  
dsouper  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 10:35:48 AM(UTC)
dsouper

I just got my new retiree ID card at the local AFB last week.  No problem processing it.  However, I haven'[t used it yet.Approve
Fonz4  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:01:26 AM(UTC)
Fonz4

You can get a base sticker here in FL.  I use the base fitness center, play golf and can get cheap tickets to things.  I can also rent boats.
physicsdog  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:23:00 AM(UTC)
physicsdog

That is sooooo cool! Thanks for the information.

Dog
Rss Feed  Atom Feed