Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
YoungFed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:38:50 AM(UTC)
YoungFed

Groups: Registered

This is my first post with federal soup, and for a good reason.  I have been looking for a comprehensive breakdown on peoples experiences with the PPP and what they went though while keeping their fingers crossed in hopes and anticipation of landing a job in the area that they want rather than having to go to some new area (unless of course that is what they are looking for).  In my case, I’m looking to end up back where I came from mostly because I own a house out there and it needs work before I can stick a renter in it, otherwise I wouldn’t be leaving my awesome job overseas.

Dec 27th 2011 I registered for the PPP, and started this fabulous journey into the unknown of my future carrier and what would happen.  I’m still waiting for that mystical email that says they have found a mach for me in which case I accept and live hunky-dory tell times end, but so far no dice.  My resume is geared to find a job as quickly as possible and I’m registered for five series that are very common in DoD.

In addition I have applied to fifty five USAA jobs in various agencies, and my resume has been sent to the SO for consideration for about three of those positions (we’ll see, my fingers are crossed).  My current grade is GS-11, I have a BS from a good school, plus I’m a ten point vet.  So may all my stars align and the Federal Gods see me a good position.

Let me know if you have any questions.           Clap

RetirednHappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:29:28 PM(UTC)
RetirednHappy

YoungFed,  Are you currently in the Seattle area, looking to go elsewhere, or are you seeking a PPP placement into the Seattle area? There are several DoD facilities in the Pacific Northwest, if that is your desired location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Bremerton), Bangor Submarine Base, Naval Base Everett.... You might try sending your resume to the HR Office at these facilities, just to see what shows up. What is your background, as a current GS-11?
YoungFed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:57:01 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

RetirednHappy,

I’m from the NW, and that is where I’m currently searching.  That is where all my job applications are being directed.  I have been communicating with personnel from my old agency (I was a contractor) and they want to pick me up but they are in a hiring freeze right now (They are only hiring internally)…  I have job apps out to all the installations you mentioned.Smile

YoungFed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:59:36 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

My background consists of construction management, Quality control/assurance, and program and project management.  My BS is in Project Management.

simchief  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:17:41 PM(UTC)
simchief

You are in a great recruitment situation; however PPP processes takes a little time. With a registration at end of last year it will take awhile for your PPP resume to float to surface. Continue applying for positions on your own and wait out a placement from PPP.

Remember many agencies (Army, Air Force) are still waiting for guidance on hiring actions for this year, so expect some delays.

Jobs that match your skill set you see on USAJobs does not mean your PPP resume is available to all HRO’s, yet.

If you are placed under PPP there will be some hostility as you probably are not SO first choice, gaining agency will gnash their teeth and if you fit position requirements you will be placed under PPP.

Good luck!

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:50:05 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

YoungFed wrote:

This is my first post with federal soup, and for a good reason.  I have been looking for a comprehensive breakdown on peoples experiences with the PPP and what they went though while keeping their fingers crossed in hopes and anticipation of landing a job in the area that they want rather than having to go to some new area (unless of course that is what they are looking for).  In my case, I’m looking to end up back where I came from mostly because I own a house out there and it needs work before I can stick a renter in it, otherwise I wouldn’t be leaving my awesome job overseas.

Dec 27th 2011 I registered for the PPP, and started this fabulous journey into the unknown of my future carrier and what would happen.  I’m still waiting for that mystical email that says they have found a mach for me in which case I accept and live hunky-dory tell times end, but so far no dice.  My resume is geared to find a job as quickly as possible and I’m registered for five series that are very common in DoD.

In addition I have applied to fifty five USAA jobs in various agencies, and my resume has been sent to the SO for consideration for about three of those positions (we’ll see, my fingers are crossed).  My current grade is GS-11, I have a BS from a good school, plus I’m a ten point vet.  So may all my stars align and the Federal Gods see me a good position.

Let me know if you have any questions.           Clap

I trust you are loosing your job and are a priority 1.  In most cases, the manager has to hire a priority 1 but gets to pick based on the resume.  Your competition is other priority 1 employees.

Wish you the best.

YoungFed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:03:41 AM(UTC)
YoungFed

Thanks for the info simchief.  I have a question; isn’t the system for resumes automatic?  In other words, I updated my resume and sent it to HRO last week.  When the HR person received it, she told me she uploaded the new res into the system.

Fed1969, unfortunately I’m priority 3.  I’m not losing my job, in fact they wanted to keep me in country, I chose to go back to my home of record, or just back. However, I understand how the priority works.  I feel I’m probably going to find a job before the system finds me one.  I’m better off that way anyway because it would be a grade higher than what I’m able to obtain through PPP, which is my current grade.

seminolefan72  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:52:57 AM(UTC)
seminolefan72

i was priority 2 and was on in PPP for 2 months or less before i got a match. I am in IT. I did however find a position on  my own so i cancelled my PPP placement. It's a catch 22. If you are mobile and willing to relocate you shouldn't have trouble getting a match with PPP. My old agency hired an IT sys admin via PPP just because she had a degree but hadn't touched servers in almost 10  years. i had to train her before i left and it was a lost cause.

common sense
YoungFed  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:39:33 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

I wish I could say that I was mobile and willing to relocate, but unfortunately, this isn't possible for me.  Even if HR finds a job for me, unless it is within a decent driving distance I'm going to have to turn it down...      
blvd4965  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:23:17 PM(UTC)
blvd4965

Young Fed,

You do realize that if HR finds you a job, and you turn it down, you are off PPP and they can begin the process of separating you from service?

Your best bet is to find your own job. Apply, apply, apply, and put on your resume that you are a PRI 3 PPP.

YoungFed  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:16:16 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

Yes I’m aware of the implications of turning the job down,
but I wouldn’t be leaving my current position overseas if not for the house I
own.  I apply daily for new
positions.  I’m curious to why you say
put the “PRI 3 ppp” statement in the resume?  Does that help my chances when applying on the side?  Most of the positions I'm applying for are one grade higher

simchief  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:28:59 PM(UTC)
simchief

YoungFed:

You are correct 'PPP resume is automatically loaded into PPP database system; however then it is back to when HRO actually accesses PPP resume database.

Our crazy recruitment system has requesting agency going through all the hiring steps; identify requirement, announce, review, interview and initial selection, then HRO actually looks to see if a qualified individual is on PPP stopper list, this sometimes adds several weeks to recruitment process.

At one time civil service employees returning from overseas, because of tour ending, had a higher priority; that has changed, I am told it was because so many base closure actions in CONUS had dumped employees into PPP system.

As you stated you have no right of refusal for a PPP job hit.

I fully understand relocating near family and home.

Wish you success!
I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
Fed1969  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:40:16 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

YoungFed wrote:

Thanks for the info simchief.  I have a question; isn’t the system for resumes automatic?  In other words, I updated my resume and sent it to HRO last week.  When the HR person received it, she told me she uploaded the new res into the system.

Fed1969, unfortunately I’m priority 3.  I’m not losing my job, in fact they wanted to keep me in country, I chose to go back to my home of record, or just back. However, I understand how the priority works.  I feel I’m probably going to find a job before the system finds me one.  I’m better off that way anyway because it would be a grade higher than what I’m able to obtain through PPP, which is my current grade.

My observation is mangers will hire a favorite before hiring a priority 3.

Wish you the best.
YoungFed  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:08:45 AM(UTC)
YoungFed

Yeah, that is one of my fears, and I also assume that this is why HR has little to no interaction with you until the job offer point.  My guess is they must get several different hits, but the SO is coming up with a million different reasons to why you don’t qualify for the position.  Now, that is just my speculation, but after all I do work for the federal government so I do see how things go on…

YoungFed  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 8:32:36 AM(UTC)
YoungFed

I inquired about a position that I applied for, and that I’m also registered in the PPP for today, and received an email back from the HRO today stating

“This position was subject to PPP. However, when PPP was requisitioned there were no matches. We requisition at the full performance level, which for this position was a GS-12.”

The position is a GS-11 with a possible promotion to 12.  I figured that’s a bummer because I was qualified, and well qualified for that matter because I have oodles of experience in this carrier field.

I also asked this HR if my 30% held no ground for this position either. Their reply was as follows

“You are definitely qualified for the position. However, management has many

sources available to them to recruit and fill their vacancies. I can forward

your question to the selecting official if you would like. The official is

under no obligation to respond, but may choose to do so.”

I hate the rate race sometimes, and what sucks even more is I’m experiencing financial hardship right now because my renter moved out, and I need to get back home ASAP. Ouch

YoungFed  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 10:39:14 AM(UTC)
YoungFed

I should have giving more info on this.  It is probably confusing as to what exactly I’m talking about.  I applied for this position a few months back. A month passed and I received a NOR that I was eligible, and sent to the selecting official for consideration.  7 minutes later (literally) I received a letter of disposition that stated I wasn’t selected.  That’s fast I thought?  The SO is either a speed reader or something fishy just occurred.  That is why I sent a request to find out what happened through CPAC, and they sent me to the local HR who answered my request with what I just posted… Your thoughts? Geek

Vettor  
#17 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 1:14:03 PM(UTC)
Vettor

Fed1969 wrote:

My observation is mangers will hire a favorite before hiring a priority 3.

Wish you the best.

All the more reason to litigate.  Discrimination against Veterans is everywhere whether people want to  admit it or not.
Veteran unemployment to 0%.
Vettor  
#18 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 1:15:04 PM(UTC)
Vettor

YoungFed wrote:

Your thoughts? Geek

Litigate immediately.  File an EEO complaint just in case. 
Veteran unemployment to 0%.
YoungFed  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 2:20:51 PM(UTC)
YoungFed

I'm going to file a complaint through VETS. I guess I'm a little worked up over the situation, but through all the research I've done, it's bothersome to see that it won't make a difference, but I would like to see the twerp shakin in his boots when he realizes that somebody actually inquires about the situation.

Lastly, if it did make a difference, and they came back and gave me a job, I would look forward to the hostile environment. I work well in those types of environments.
blvd4965  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 7:29:20 PM(UTC)
blvd4965

"Veterans' preference does not apply to promotion, reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer or reinstatement. " http://www.opm.gov/staffingportal/vetguide.asp

The SO could have hired another VET, or used a different authority. I doubt if anyone will be "shakin in his boots..."

The seven minutes might have more to do with HR updates email vice speed reading. A selecting official can hire off a list of certified candidates without interviewing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed