Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Military

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current military-related news topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
o13starsnstripes  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:22:52 PM(UTC)
o13starsnstripes

Groups: Registered

If a persons going to be in the Reserves or National Guard what civilian career paths would be alright with it and what areas of employment would not? For example if your in the National Guard and wanted to work in an investment banking firm would they basically not want to hire you because of your reserve status? That was just one example I'm throwing out there.

I'm asking this because I am trying to get as best an understanding of the problem as I can get to know what I will be facing. Thank you for all your input!
" Welcome to Loserville. Population: You. " - Deadpool
martyb  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:32:54 PM(UTC)
martyb

In all honesty, I wouldn't volunteer that information until after you're hired.  That is, unless you know for sure that your potential future employer is military friendly.  Once you're hired, they're bound by law to accept your guard/reserve participation, but they can decline to hire based on that information.  Of course, you would probably never know that was the reason.  Many employers do support guard & reserve folks, but not all.  I very often does put a strain on an employer at times, and there are some who would rather not have to deal with it.  All I'm saying is do your best to try to find out if that employer has a history of supporting guard & reserves.  It was never a problem for me, since my first job after separating from active duty was with the Air Force as a civilian employee, into a position that required me to be a reservist.  No problem there.   Now, I work for a different DoD sub-agency, and while I'm now retired from the reserves, I can't say there was any problem with my employer not supporting me fully while I was still serving.
Forum trolls to 0%
rabbitdog99  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:21:06 PM(UTC)
rabbitdog99

I think that in the past most companies didn't care much if you were in the Reserves or not.  Your training didn't much interfere with
company business; you were only away for training for 2 weeks a year for annual training and trained on a weekend once a month.  However, now with all the long  activations due to the wars we have been
fighting, companies might be a little leery of hiring you if they think you might shortly be gone for a long period.  But then, being in the Reserves could be a plus because it shows you have initiative, drive, and commitment; qualities employers are looking for.  My guess is it would be a plus more often than a negative.   

Duckncover  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 4:17:40 AM(UTC)
Duckncover

Well, I can think of one career field where you'd almost never need to worry about finding a civilian job after returning from active duty:  nursing ~ any branch would love to have you in the reserves, and the civilian world can't find enough.  The big question is:  will that be the case in ten years?
o13starsnstripes  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 20, 2012 6:12:10 AM(UTC)
o13starsnstripes

Well from what I am gathering it doesn't seem like good news. To be honest its surprising the Guard and Reserves have been able to function because this seems like the biggest threat to them.
" Welcome to Loserville. Population: You. " - Deadpool
dstrob  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:59:54 PM(UTC)
dstrob

I agree. Do not disclose your reserve status. For drills and annual training: You must go and they must let you go. If you are forced to resign from your baning job for very silly reasons it means they want you gone because of the reserve. That's when you get an attorney who specializes in military issues like these. get ready, because I've seen a lot and experienced a lot as a 27-year reservist.
cjawalt  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:16:00 AM(UTC)
cjawalt

Yes, as others have stated, and as I can attest to from personal experience, being in the reserves can have an adverse impact on your civilian career or getting hired if you bring it up. It even can be as basic as your coworkers not liking the fact they you're out of the office on AT and drills while they are back at the office picking up the extra work load while you are out. Next, I was fortunate enough to get get hired with a military agency and even got flack there from coworkers and superiors for being away from the office. So may advice, keep quiet about it, don't tell others how great it is to be a reservists, trying to keep the office work moving back home, always make yourself available and show your availability (e.g., call me on my cell, email access), etc, and, in general, dont give others the opportunity to complain about your extra part-time job/income/retirement plan that they don't have.

Thank God I am crossing the 20year finish line soon, and I think I'm done after that because it's become a headache careerwise and at my age I value my personal/vacation time more than the admin/career hustle involved in being a reservist.
cjawalt2013-03-19 14:22:58
svenghalimc  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:18:35 AM(UTC)
svenghalimc

Hate to hijack this thread but regards employment while in the reserves. I was offered a position at a company signed all the employment forms and was ready to go to orientation until I found out the dates fell under my drill dates. I brought it up with the hr dept and they said that it wouldn't work out and went to the next candidate in line for hiring. I was so blown away I didn't know how to respond and kick myself for not acting. Is this illegal? If so what are the proper channels to report something like that if it happened again?
Valur  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2013 3:32:48 AM(UTC)
Valur

martyb wrote:
In all honesty, I wouldn't volunteer that information until after you're hired.  That is, unless you know for sure that your potential future employer is military friendly.  Once you're hired, they're bound by law to accept your guard/reserve participation, but they can decline to hire based on that information.  Of course, you would probably never know that was the reason.  Many employers do support guard & reserve folks, but not all.  I very often does put a strain on an employer at times, and there are some who would rather not have to deal with it.  All I'm saying is do your best to try to find out if that employer has a history of supporting guard & reserves.  It was never a problem for me, since my first job after separating from active duty was with the Air Force as a civilian employee, into a position that required me to be a reservist.  No problem there.   Now, I work for a different DoD sub-agency, and while I'm now retired from the reserves, I can't say there was any problem with my employer not supporting me fully while I was still serving.

There is nothing less honorable then a employer discriminating against Veterans. Apply for federal civilian jobs. We are looking to higher as many Veterans as possible. Veterans make the best applicant.
29 Year Carrier  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:17:59 AM(UTC)
29 Year Carrier

Valur wrote:
martyb wrote:

There is nothing less honorable then a employer discriminating against Veterans. Apply for federal civilian jobs. We are looking to higher as many Veterans as possible. Veterans make the best applicant.

I'll second that!
"But they did not care. They're totally indifferent. All they do is mock me, just like the fat fellow. All the time, mocking, mocking, mocking. It is Babu's turn to mock."<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- Babu, in "The Finale"
MC5Wes  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:27:47 PM(UTC)
MC5Wes

Being a Guardsman or Reservist is always going to be a problem. Either let them know upfront. Or wait till your settled in before joining.

Also remember you can always change status if you need to. I've had guys who had to deploy overseas for extended periods of time. And went from participating to IRR.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed