Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
angelhaswings  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:54:24 AM(UTC)
angelhaswings

Groups: Registered

Hello

I have a conditional offer from a contractor. I was at first excited about it because I always wanted to work for the government and found this as a great way to get my foot in the door and learn a bit. I live in the DC metro region where there are tons of companies that deal with the government in some capacity so I figure the skill set I develop at this contractor working with a DOJ agency would be great and make me marketable. I have an accounting degree and plan to start taking the CPA exam when I get this job. My concern is I got the job in October. A few weeks ago I met with the Investigator and the company that hired me told me that it means the investigation is almost up and they will either grant interim or full clearance. I am working a temporary job as of right now and know my job is secure until June 30th. However, I have been looking for other jobs as well. I really need stability having a 6 month old. After reviewing my offer letter, my job can be terminated at any time and is due to funding and etc. I don't know much about the job, except I will be dealing with accounting/financial/procurement in some capacity. I would feel bad turning down the job after going through the security clearance because I know it takes alot of time and money. However, I am also scared because I can be let go anytime. Also the benefits with this contractor suck. I have 5 vacation days which I must accrue every pay period. Being a recent graduate, Aug. 2011 I am looking at the bigger picture and hoping its a good way to start off and move on. I am tempted to take another job that is permanent though. Any advice? Anyone been through something similar? Sorry for the essay but I NEED HELP! 
Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:06:44 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

angelhaswings wrote:
Hello

I have a conditional offer from a contractor. I was at first excited about it because I always wanted to work for the government and found this as a great way to get my foot in the door and learn a bit. I live in the DC metro region where there are tons of companies that deal with the government in some capacity so I figure the skill set I develop at this contractor working with a DOJ agency would be great and make me marketable. I have an accounting degree and plan to start taking the CPA exam when I get this job. My concern is I got the job in October. A few weeks ago I met with the Investigator and the company that hired me told me that it means the investigation is almost up and they will either grant interim or full clearance. I am working a temporary job as of right now and know my job is secure until June 30th. However, I have been looking for other jobs as well. I really need stability having a 6 month old. After reviewing my offer letter, my job can be terminated at any time and is due to funding and etc. I don't know much about the job, except I will be dealing with accounting/financial/procurement in some capacity. I would feel bad turning down the job after going through the security clearance because I know it takes alot of time and money. However, I am also scared because I can be let go anytime. Also the benefits with this contractor suck. I have 5 vacation days which I must accrue every pay period. Being a recent graduate, Aug. 2011 I am looking at the bigger picture and hoping its a good way to start off and move on. I am tempted to take another job that is permanent though. Any advice? Anyone been through something similar? Sorry for the essay but I NEED HELP! 

As a contractor employee you can be laid off any time.  I suggest you look into the Navy intern programs.  

Wish you the best
$600ToiletSeat  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 3:39:39 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

Take the permanent job.

Losing the time and money put out toward getting your clearance is a cost of doing business. You won't be the first person to do it, nor the last. They can't expect someone to not take a permanent job to take their part time gig, even with a clearance.

Contractors can be laid off at anytime--for many reasons. But that's mostly true on the outside as well.

I'm a contractor and I've been working in the same place for 20 years. And I work in a right-to-work state where I can be terminated in no time.

I'm not immune. They keep telling us 2013 is looking dire (as was 2012, 2011, 2010...). And a lot of my coworkers have jumped ship in the past 3 years due to the insecurity.

Good luck!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed