Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dcb1  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 1:28:31 AM(UTC)
dcb1

Groups: Registered

I started as a contractor about six months ago with a reputable company on a federal contract with the Army. 

Last week the guy who is second in command at the facility (GS-13 I think) I work at called my company manager and said "I was not a team player."  even though I have completed every task they have given me.  I show up on time, put in 8 hours, then go home.  I don't hang out or BS with people at work.  The federal supervisor could not give any dates, times, or incidences where I had not completed my assigned tasks but he still called up my company and told my company manager I was not a team player because I do not kiss a** or No sir, yes sir this guy.

My company manager was very cool about it because he has had this type of whining from this character before so he took the complaint with a grain of salt.  I sat down with my manager and talked about this and I explained I had completed everything that was asked of me and I had also previously agreed to help on other projects which were not my responsibility but I still get labels as a "Non team player."

This incident has caused me much anxiety and stress.  I have requested my company manager find me another position at another site because I can't look this guy in the face.

Would this be considered libel or slander on the the federal supervisor's part since what he is saying cannot be backed up by any incidents?  Should I consult with a lawyer and even bring a lawsuit against this supervisor.dcb12012-11-24 22:39:50

Edited by user Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:40:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tiredofwork  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 1:35:23 AM(UTC)
Tiredofwork

Some fed supervisors can be hostile toward contractors. Been there done that. If your company has had this contract for a while, your company manager is probably used to this guy; ha, I'd probably be more annoyed at your manager for placing you there knowing the supervisor. I wouldn't worry about it, just do your job to the best of your ability and request to be placed somewhere else. 
$600ToiletSeat  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 1:49:35 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

There are contractor haters everywhere.

It was getting better where I am, but lately contractors are losing perks working at my facilty (contractor kids getting kicked out of the facility day care due to budget cuts).

However, at least on my contract, the client can't dictate who is hired/fired/chosen for a particular assignment. I have heard of people being on "must hire" lists when contracts change, but in those cases, those are probably the people they'd want to hire anyway.

Unless you get caught doing something you're not supposed to be doing, just lay low. It sounds like your boss knows what this guy is about.

Good luck.$600ToiletSeat2012-01-23 10:47:06
simchief  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 2:10:19 AM(UTC)
simchief

If I had this situation, I would recommend your designated contracting officer clarify your contract Statement of Work (SOW), with this individual, and this GS-xx attend a contracting officer's representative course. There is a thin edge to what contractors are required to do.

Guarantee GS folk do not want to give any appearance of a personally services type arrangement.

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
$600ToiletSeat  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 3:21:59 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

I thought some more on this.

You talked to your supervisor -- he apparently is used to this kind of garbage from this guy.

We have one Air Force client who is notorious for being extremely hard on us, his in-house support contractors. We had some real issues with turnover in the group that works with him daily because this jerk is just so nasty (before the economy tanked -- slightly better since).

I shield newbies in our group from him and then explain him when they do have to work with him. But people still get upset when this jerk acts up at meeting (he literally GROWLED at me once) or rips one of their reports (we had one report go back and forth 27 times because he kept changing his mind). He usually mellows out on someone after two years or so, but getting real requirements out of him at the beginning of a project is still almost impossible.

But it turns out, he's nasty to everyone, including his Air Force coworkers. He's outlasted 20+ years of supervisors and it doesn't appear anyone is going to do anything about him. (A few have tried, but they usually jump at the first opportunity to get out of here.)

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think you have any grounds for legal action at this point.

So, you can stay and develop a callus (mine's several inches thick after 20 years) or look for something where you don't have to deal with civil service. However, in the "private sector," you probably have even less protection from jerk clients. If they're worth enough revenue for the company--and you're not irreplaceable--you'll be out.

Good luck!$600ToiletSeat2012-01-23 11:30:58
dcb1  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:10:45 AM(UTC)
dcb1

An update to this situation.

The federal manager created a hostile work environment and start yelling, screaming, and using profanity.  He ordered me off the job site which violates the federal contract.  He didn't have the authority to make changes to the contract so he created a situation to make me leave.

dcb12012-06-14 18:08:54
Sosai X  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:47:34 AM(UTC)
Sosai X

Being a DoD contractor can be like being in a rowboat in the open ocean.  Sometimes everything is calm and peaceful, and rowing is a pleasure.  Other times you find yourself in the middle of a hurricane, tossed and battered by the waves.  It's all you can to just to row to try and save yourself.  I was a DoD contractor for 13.5 years, and I saw all sorts of good and bad managers, incompetent contracting companies and their associated officials.    Keep rowing as best you can.  Eventually you'll find a safe harbor.  For me it was being hired as a GS-2210-11 in the same agency where I was a contractor for those 13.5 years.  So I am quite sympathetic to your cause.   
dcb1  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:34:18 AM(UTC)
dcb1

Would you say their actions have deprived me of my Constitutional Rights to Due Process?  The Fifth Amendment of the Constitution states the government cannot deprive a citizen of life, liberty, or property without due process.  The federal managers completely circumvented the appeals process and violated Executive Orders by the President of the United States.

The company I worked for wrote a rebuttal letter requesting the re-instatement of my clearance but my clearance was not re-instated.  It has been almost 2 months since they illegally revoked my clearance.
The company I worked for kept me on administrative overhead pay and I helped out in the corporate offices.  But they gave me a two week notice and since my clearance was not re-instated and I did not find another position within the company that did not require a clearance, they had to terminate my employment.
So now I am unemployed due to the hostile, retaliatory, and illegal actions of a federal manager.

dcb12012-04-18 18:39:53
Sosai X  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:48:52 AM(UTC)
Sosai X

Problem is as a contractor you aren't eligible for the protections given to a civil service employee.  That's the dark side of the game.  Sometimes you can be taken advantage of, and downright abused, as I am sure you know all too well.  You might contact someone at the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs to see if there is anything they can do.  Their website is http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/ .  

rosjos44  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:13:06 PM(UTC)
rosjos44

I'm sorry to hear all your troubles and I hope everything works out well. I did take notice you mentioned DISA STIGS and GoldDisk. Funny thing is I work with the DISA team that created Gold Disk, STIGS, and VMS. Great products! 
$600ToiletSeat  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:52:55 PM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

Good luck.
wizard  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:26:43 PM(UTC)
wizard

contact an eeo counselor immediately!
dcb1  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:11:48 PM(UTC)
dcb1

I'm not sure if EEOC would handle something like this.  It was a hostile work environment not really based on discrimination.
$600ToiletSeat  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:30:10 AM(UTC)
$600ToiletSeat

It sounds like you have experienced a phenomena known as "poop rolling downhill."

What I have observed, after 20 years as a contractor on the same federal facility, is that if anything bad happens, certain civil service are gifted in their ability to become teflon. Although they may be directly involved, may have actually made/or intentionally did not make a decision, they very effectively transfer the blame for a screw up to someone lower in the pecking order. And, we all know who is lowest in the pecking order: contractors.

One of my most gifted colleagues recently left our contract for the private sector after a stellar 14 years here. The final straw was being left swinging in the wind by our customer after getting the blame for a compliance violation that he had actually warned them about.

They ignored him because someone higher in their food chain said to leave the process going. When the regulators figured it out, the civil servants all curled up like armadillos or pill bugs and he took the brunt.

Our management knew what was going on. But the total lack of support from the customer who authored many, many letters of appreciation/commendation and included him in team awards for his work crushed him.

Another thought: expletives DON'T EVER help, regardless of how angry you are.

I wish you luck.
hustonj  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:22:42 AM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
dcb1 wrote:
Last week the guy who is second in command at the facility (GS-14 I think) I work at called my company manager and said "I was not a team player." 

<snip>

I don't hang out or BS with people at work.

You obviously fail to understand that THIS could be the reason he considers you not a team player.  Part of being a team is social interaction.

I'm not saying the guy is right or wrong.  I am saying there is never only one side to a story.
rosjos44  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2012 11:40:28 AM(UTC)
rosjos44

hustonj wrote:
dcb1 wrote:
Last week the guy who is second in command at the facility (GS-14 I think) I work at called my company manager and said "I was not a team player." 

<snip>

I don't hang out or BS with people at work.

You obviously fail to understand that THIS could be the reason he considers you not a team player.  Part of being a team is social interaction.

I'm not saying the guy is right or wrong.  I am saying there is never only one side to a story.

Hanging "out" with the team does not mean or qualify the meaning of team player. Not working with the team on projects / tasks and taking them on by yourself means not a team player. Of course if you do not fit the environment (socially) then people can make you an out cast and call that as not within the "Group". When this happens it usually means your not wanted. 
dcb1  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:44:40 PM(UTC)
dcb1

Four months after the hostile work environment incident inside of a federal facility by a federal manager, I still do not have my clearance back.  I filed an IG complaint, petitioned the Senate and Congress for help.  The Senator sent me a letter from the OPM stating they are investigating it.  The Congress initiated an investigation but I haven't heard anything from them other than they are looking into it.  And haven't heard anything from the IG.

The EEOC said they don't handle this type of situation because I'm not in a protected class. 

dcb12013-01-06 06:15:09
Philly19803  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:08:02 PM(UTC)
Philly19803

DCB1...I don't want to sound too critical, but like someone already mentioned in this thread, there are always two sides to the story.  From reading all your posts in this thread it sounds like you only want to do things your way and if you don't get your way, you get upset and start taking all kinds of extreme measures.  I don't know how old you are but you will find all different types of managers with different styles no matter where you work.  If your boss wants you to say "yes sir" and "no sir" to him, you do it.  If you don't want to do this, then find another job.  Like I said I realize there are two sides the story, but reading your posts leads me to believe the main problem was your inability to adapt to one of your bosses. 
dcb1  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:55:51 AM(UTC)
dcb1

Philly19803 wrote:
DCB1...I don't want to sound too critical, but like someone already mentioned in this thread, there are always two sides to the story.  From reading all your posts in this thread it sounds like you only want to do things your way and if you don't get your way, you get upset and start taking all kinds of extreme measures.  I don't know how old you are but you will find all different types of managers with different styles no matter where you work.  If your boss wants you to say "yes sir" and "no sir" to him, you do it.  If you don't want to do this, then find another job.  Like I said I realize there are two sides the story, but reading your posts leads me to believe the main problem was your inability to adapt to one of your bosses. 

You are right Philly, there are two sides to every story.  I would love to hear the federal manager's side.  I'm not the first contractor this manager has gone after.

truotsuko  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 12:13:59 AM(UTC)
truotsuko

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Having never been a contractor I cannot speak too indepth about that; what I will say however is that there is a reason why most of the time contractors get paid more than Federal workers. I do not agree that a good worker should be a butt kisser, which is the reason I am in Civil Service, I come in do my job and go home, if I socialize I keep it to a minimum because that is not what I am paid for.
On the other hand I have seen a lot of contrators get mistreated not only by GS bosses, but also by other contract bosses.
If you still like working for DoD I suggest you apply elsewhere and have that agency re investigate your clearance, if the truth is on your side (meaning nothing other than personality conflicts caused you to lose your clearance) then there is a high probability that you will get it back...
Rss Feed  Atom Feed