Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Angel1955  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 2:39:38 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

Groups: Registered

I went to new local Social Security office and receptionist gave me a form for my supervisor to fill out relating to verification if I had health insurance and for how long - I have worked for the government for 40 years - - I have 40 quarters of my own social security - when I inquired as to how many quarters I had - as I was tired of doing books part time - I kept getting my husbands social security information - - so went to my Representative for help, to find out what I had -
 and was told that I had finally completed my 40 quarters or required time - why in  would I need a verification from my supervisor since I have just retired???
flat  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:32:12 AM(UTC)
flat

Probably for varification of Medicare Part A and Part B, if you want it.  You have been out of SS system so long, Part A will show up, but not Part B and had you retired when 65 there is a 10% per year penalty for not signing up, unless you just retired.
Angel1955  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 7:39:28 AM(UTC)
Angel1955

just retired from CSRS 3 October - boss did not sign as he entered the years I had worked = but did not know FEHP info.  Then I get the letter today about the Offset/Windfall which I did expect.
They show me being paid in October, which I didn't - they suggest I go to local Social Security office - not forgetting to put in for my own SS - maybe about $100.00 but may take Medicare B then - I did get a certification letter from Blue Cross and my coverage - - I dread dealing with SS - get different answers to same question - too me two years to find out how much I had under my own SS number - and had to go to Senator to get that info. I signed up for Medicare A the day I turned 65 and also husbands social security. 
soo0717  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:02:44 PM(UTC)
soo0717

There are three enrollment periods for medicare Part B.  Initial enrollment during when you turn 65.  If you did not sign up for medicare during initial enrollment, you have two different enrollment period.  General enrollment runs from January - March of each year but you are subject to late enrollment penalty.  Special enrollment runs at any time but it needs employer verification.  Special enrollment is not subject to late enrollment penalty.  You should contact your HR if your supervisor would not sign off on FEHB verification.  The best way to get this done is getting your CMS-L564 signed by whoever can verify your FEHB enrollment. 

If you are entitled to benefit starting October, meaning if your entitlement month is October, your October's money is paid in November.  Social Security always pays one month behind.  If you have doubts about what you are getting paid in social security.  Ask for the technical expert instead of supervisor at your local office.  

Good luck!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed