Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fcarver  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:18:40 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Groups: Registered

Quick question. If you leave competitive service for an excepted service job, does the time in excepted service count towards TIG if you ever try to come back into competitive service?

Example: Leave competitive service as a GS-11 to go to a GG-12 job (excepted service). After a year, you would have TIG as a GG-12, so you could apply to a GG-13 job (also excepted service). Could you also apply to GS-13 jobs? Would the year as a GG-12 count towards TIG required for GS-13?
fcarver  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:51:32 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Anyone with info on this? I was reading the old Interchange Agreement between CIPMS (which became DCIPS) and OPM last night, which talked alot about this. It made it sound like this should/would be allowed under the Interchange Agreement. The two authorities allowing it were "Personal Competitive Status" (see below), and Eligibility under the Interchange Agreement.

It referenced something called "personal competitive status" that you could have gained if you had prior competitive service. Is this basically regarding your reinstatement rights to competitive service if you had prior career or career-conditional status?

Also, is anyone out there in a CIPMS/DCIPS position right now? The latest Interchange agreement I saw expired in 2004. Is there an updated one that is still current so that there is still authority for this type of movement between Excepted Service (CIPMS/DCIPS) and Competitive Service?
DHS HR  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:19:39 AM(UTC)
DHS HR

Yes, provided that the different pay scales were equivalent.
fcarver  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 3:51:00 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Cool, good to know.

While searching, I did find out that the Interchange Agreement at least between CIPMS/DCIPS and OPM has ended, so unless you have reinstatement rights, which is what I assume they mean when they say "personal competitive status," excepted service employees cannot apply to "status candidate" positions, only "public" announcements. Again, unless you have reinstatement rights, veteran's preference, etc. That info is available here:  http://cpol.army.mil/library/permiss/8601.html

I also found a great overview of DCIPS at the same link above. One cool thing about DCIPS/CIPMS is that there is no such thing as TIG. They use "quality of experience". So, if you have really great experience relevant to a GG-13 or GG-14 job, but you're previous position was only a GS-9 or whatever, you can still be placed as a GG-13 because of the "quality" of your experience, not the "time" in a lower grade. Cool differentiation.

There were some other interesting details in that document. Great breakdown of the comparison.

frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:02:18 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
fcarver wrote:
Anyone with info on this? I was reading the old Interchange Agreement between CIPMS (which became DCIPS) and OPM last night, which talked alot about this. It made it sound like this should/would be allowed under the Interchange Agreement. The two authorities allowing it were "Personal Competitive Status" (see below), and Eligibility under the Interchange Agreement.

It referenced something called "personal competitive status" that you could have gained if you had prior competitive service. Is this basically regarding your reinstatement rights to competitive service if you had prior career or career-conditional status?

Also, is anyone out there in a CIPMS/DCIPS position right now? The latest Interchange agreement I saw expired in 2004. Is there an updated one that is still current so that there is still authority for this type of movement between Excepted Service (CIPMS/DCIPS) and Competitive Service?
Still expired...nothing new to replace it.  I'm DCIPS (along with many others at my base) and we keep asking. frankgonzalez2012-02-02 12:08:35
fcarver  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:52:46 AM(UTC)
fcarver

Frank,

If I'm thinking about moving from competitive over to DCIPS, would you have any advice/opinions to offer? Do you guys feel stuck in DCIPS (stuck in your current job, or at your current base, in your current command, etc)? Or are there still plenty of opportunities?

I'm still career-conditional, so I'd only have reinstatement to competitive service for 3 years. But then I read that reinstatement rights are extended by time in excepted service, so my rights would essentially be good for life as long as I stayed in excepted service. The 3 year clock wouldn't start ticking unless I left excepted service.

Just curious what your experience has been in DCIPS.

Thanks!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed