Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed1969  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:43:19 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Groups: Registered

I read the following this morning:

Federal managers and employees alike are suffering from low morale problems, according to the results of an exclusive Federal News Radio survey. They say the federal pay freeze, fed bashing from members of Congress and the public, as well as ineffective managers are mostly to blame. The survey is part of our three-day special report, "Managing Morale."
simonsays  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:44:41 PM(UTC)
simonsays

To be expected. I would say it's worse for the military. But generally the same in private sector. Personally, it's wearing me down.

It sounds like you might have been crawling on the GE website. Good stuff. There was a sidebar? or something that made me do a quick look up on rare earth materials. After this economic crises and if the dollar doesn't go up in flames, there's talk about companies feeling the pinch. Especially those who want green tech.

The point, it's only going to get harder to be an advance society. Hence why I was so annoyed with our President's policy towards NASA. When we had the race to the moon, not only was there new gov spending, new private investment, but from the RD society had new products from new entrepreneurs. Also schools and students were excited. People had hope. They had an achievable lofty goal.

But some say, green tech is such a goal. Is it really? The raw materials to make those energy efficient batteries that are crucial to all new energy is in the hands of China. Adding insult, the preferred 2nd language in central and western Africa is Chinese. There's those who see only the finished products and think those are 'American jobs that can never be taken away.' Yeah, but what will happen when we can't get the raw materials?

And now with the housing bubble gone what will be the new investment? Green tech should still be persued but it needs to be looked at the same way we look at fossil fuel - finite. For all of Newt's grandstanding and questionable policies, he was right about space. The returns far outpace anything here on earth.

Fed1969  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:02:22 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

I don't expect things to improve in the short run.
acivilservant  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:23:36 AM(UTC)
acivilservant

Here's a quote from our Commissioner:
"A positive outlook is a powerful tool for our continued progress." Beth Tucker 
simonsays  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:26:28 AM(UTC)
simonsays

and i don't expect in the mid-range. maybe space is a bit of me being an escapist just i'm looking at the playing field and i'm trying to think of what will be the next great thing. that to me is hope and a moral booster. But everything points to China.

Here, retirement is in question. jobs are in question. education is more expensive. the usual things we have to look forward to or to help us move forward - ain't there. and now we have yahoos in the republican party running for office. The extreme conservative right who just don't get it.

Why don't they realize that extremists in power with any ideology in any country -- end up in failure.

Fed1969  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:38:22 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

I expect low morale will continue as long as Obama is willing to sell out dedicated federal employees.
simonsays  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:00:27 PM(UTC)
simonsays

I'm not finding it right now but over the weekend there was an interesting histogram comparing the US population the percentage of federal employees by year overlaid with the number of contracts. Starting at WW1 or 2 (can't remember).

If I remember correctly with the exception of WW2 (?) the % hovered around 1% with WW2 jumping to 2%. As it moved to today's date, the workforce shrunk down to .73% (or .63% or something similar).

Smaller government? Yes but what grew exponentially was contracting, which out stripped the height of federal employment.

So then I find an article (I swear I have too much time on my hands) about how the DoD is paying the pension funds of large contractors. BTW a truly terrific site is http://www.allgov.com/. Follow the link to CAGW for their case in PDF. I'm still digesting and wondering **?!!www.cagw.org/assets/repo...-retirement-benefits.pdf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> http://www.cagw.org/assets/reports/reduce-taxpayer-liability-for-contractor-post-retirement-benefits.pdf

About
$3.3 billion in taxpayer funds were paid in 2010 by federal agencies to
the pension programs of 18 of the biggest federal contractors,
according to the Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW), a government watchdog group.

Also on Allgov was an article on the current administration's increases in spending when compared to Bush's and pre-Bush. Bush had 4+trillion. Obama will have 6+trillion  in addition to Bush's.  

Now the reason: because also this weekend, started looking at Monster and other sites as I'm starting to give up on federal. Without going into specifics, I found a contractor seeking employees for a federal unit that had cancelled a USAJobs announcement. The job description, who was being served -- was the same. In fact the contractor announcement was better written than the USAJobs announcement but that's another post.

Not only was I originally referred but now because the job is in the hands of a contractor... yeah, that's why my moral is down. I'm running out of hope.

Big Sarge  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:41:11 PM(UTC)
Big Sarge

Who cares if there is low morale amongst federal employees?  Get over it! They should be thankful they have a decent job and not making minimum wage at McDonalds or delivering pizza.  How about the morale of the 1.3 million Veterans whom are unemployed due to so many discriminating employers including the feds are turning them away?
MFTECFH (Members for the Elimination of Corruption in Federal Hiring)
Cianhydle  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:53:57 AM(UTC)
Cianhydle

simonsays wrote:
Not only was I originally referred but now because the job is in the hands of a contractor... yeah, that's why my moral is down. I'm running out of hope.

Traditionally, my employees move on from public contact to claims processing.  They then move from processing to claims adjudication.  We haven't seen a processing position open for 18 months -- a contractor was hired to do that job for the next three years.  We have seen three rounds of adjudication expansion, however, there is no way for my employees to make the jump directly to adjudication without the necessary skills learned in processing.  Thus, my employees are stuck at their present position due.  This dead-end scenario, along with the pay freeze, looming shutdowns, and proposed cuts to benefits, and perhaps maybe the demands of the public contact position, have destroyed our morale.
Fed1969  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:57:48 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

I still expect things to continue with many employees having low morale problems.
fygar  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 1:07:25 PM(UTC)
fygar

Eh, my morale is fine. Face it, everyone is going to hate us no matter how hard working we are or how much we actually believe in what we're doing. And they are always going use some extreme example to justify whatever horse manure they are peddling at the time. It's just the nature of the beast.

Fed1969  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:09:39 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

It seems easy to pick on federal workers.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed