Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Medicare and Health Care

*This is a non-medical board. This site shall not be used to seek professional, medical or legal consultation.

Medicare is health insurance for people age 65 or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age person with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). There are many different parts to Medicare; with all of these options, it can be confusing.

This forum will allow members to share their experience with medicare and seek advice* on certain medicare-related situations.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vern267  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:02:11 AM(UTC)
Vern267

Groups: Registered

I am military Reserve Retiree and also Fed Retiree. Signed up for TRICARE PRIME when I turned 60, but wife was already 65, so she had to go TRICARE FOR LIFE (no premium) but had to have Medicare Part B as primary. So she had to sign up for Part B. Paying $105 per month, BUT she never has to pay any co-pays, except for prescriptions not filled at base pharmacy. She just had an MRI at local hospital which cost $3400, but she paid nothing.
I will turn 65 in two years and will also go Medicare Part B, but base will still keep me as TRICARE PRIME even the specialty clinics on base since I am a Red Cross volunteer. I get 100% of my prescriptions filled on base or at local VA clinic.  Wish I did not have to get Medicare Part B, but do not see a way around this having to  have Part B in order to get TRICARE For Life! Suggestions?

Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:18:34 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

I understand TRICARE for Life and medicare B is the way to go.
upandup  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:12:30 PM(UTC)
upandup

For someone who is both a military and civil service retiree, Tricare for Life plus Medicare A/B and suspending (but not cancelling) FEHB is a good, safe route. If you become unhappy with Tricare or if things change, you can always reinstate FEHB during Open Season.

Another option is FEHB only, with no Medicare Part B. That means you have zero Tricare coverage. For most folks, Tricare For Life is a better value, even if you have to pay for Part B.
upandup2012-02-20 00:18:50
Fed1969  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:49:55 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

upandup wrote:

For someone who is both a military and civil service retiree, Tricare for Life plus Medicare A/B and suspending (but not cancelling) FEHB is a good, safe route. If you become unhappy with Tricare or if things change, you can always reinstate FEHB during Open Season.

Another option is FEHB only, with no Medicare Part B. That means you have zero Tricare coverage. For most folks, Tricare For Life is a better value, even if you have to pay for Part B.

You make a great point about suspending FEHB.  If you cancel, you cannot get it back.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed