Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Akiva  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:26:27 AM(UTC)
Akiva

Groups: Registered

Newgrad: Federal govt is a welfare system for vets who steal all the jobs despite being unqualified. They took our jobs!!

Sarge/Vettor/Auroras: corrupt hiring officials won't give vets any jobs! Sue them all! They took our jobs!!

Gentlemen, has it ever occured to any of you that your direct experience and hearsay 2nd hand accounts are a pretty limited slice of the whole pie? Sounds like vets are getting some of the jobs and non-preference apps are getting others. Looks like the system, despite all it's other problems, is getting through that part OK. Maybe, just maybe, and stay with me here because this is just crazy, maybe hiring officials are picking the people they feel will do the best job in the opening they're trying to fill. Maybe? Just like all the other businesses in the country?

That's a revolutionary concept. I understand if you need to take a few minutes, maybe get a drink of water. It can be tough to lean you're not the center of the universe and, in fact, everyone is not out to get you. Shocking.
Big Sarge  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:42:01 AM(UTC)
Big Sarge

Akiva wrote:
......maybe hiring officials are picking the people they feel will do the best job in the opening they're trying to fill. Maybe? Just like all the other businesses in the country?

Akiva, you would have a good argument if that was the case but unfortunately it is not.  Have you been watching the news lately?  The federal government is broke largely due to poor decisions made by who else?  NONVETS!!!  Our government is also underserving the public simply because it is infested with so many unqualfied nonvets that the damage is irreversible.  Corruption was rampant during the FCIP debacle but it eventually got canned and sometime in the future we will more likely see litigation against other abused hiring programs used to bypass qualified honorable Vets.  How about doing your research first to get your facts straight?

MFTECFH (Members for the Elimination of Corruption in Federal Hiring)
Newgrad  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:42:41 AM(UTC)
Newgrad

Akiva wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, and stay with me here because this is just crazy, maybe hiring officials are picking the people they feel will do the best job in the opening they're trying to fill. Maybe? Just like all the other businesses in the country?

That's a revolutionary concept.

No, the exclusionary category-ranking system makes it extremely difficult for the highest qualified non-preference applicants to even be referred for consideration. That is why you see so many responses along the lines of, "due to the large amount of preference applicants, your application was not considered at this time."

So unless they are internal hires, hiring officials are generally forced to choose the "best" preference applicant, as this is completely different from choosing the best applicant in the entire applicant pool (non-preference applicants included).

And most successful businesses in this country do not employ an absurd preference system like the federal government uses where a minimally qualified preference applicant scoring a 70 gets referred over a highly qualified non-preference applicant scoring a 100. Yes, many businesses use archaic affirmative action plans, but while these are an example of job welfare, the private sector's affirmative action policies pale in comparison with the federal government's welfare hiring system.       
I'm here to set the record straight, tell the truth about federal hiring, and to expose things for what they really are. -Newgrad
Akiva  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 9:49:14 AM(UTC)
Akiva

I knew you both would come in and immediately contradict one another. Please, continue. Sounds like most of this forums BS could be solved if we could just crown a winner between the two of you, really. So by all means, have at it. I'm gonna make some popcorn and watch. Akiva2012-02-20 17:57:07
Fed1969  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 10:15:02 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

We get a variety of thought in this forum.  Some may seem off the wall, but that is what make this forum great.
boxkicker  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 10:44:05 AM(UTC)
boxkicker

One and the same!
Fed1969  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 10:49:55 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

Determining the best candidate is very subjective.
mrgregory29  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:19:25 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Fed1969 wrote:
Determining the best candidate is very subjective.

This.. You can't say who is the best the candidate. You can only go by what their "resume" says and that may not even be the truth.

This whole "Veterans need to litigate" mess is funny to me that's why I haven't responded to any of the posts. I'm a Veteran and about to start my 2nd GS position in a few weeks.

The one I just got hired for I wasn't even interviewed the HR guy just called me and offered me the position. Doesn't sound like a SO discriminating against Vets to me.

My job before this even though I new the SO it was down to three people. One of the candidates said they would only be there a year. If it wasn't for that he probably would of been hired over me.

The other person just had pure education but it wasn't geared for the position.

Me I had plenty of experience in the field and I was hired. Once again, I wasn't discriminated against.

Now does it happen? Sure it does. Is the good ol boy system alive and well? Sure it is. But are all SOs doing this? No.

You apply enough the right job will be there for you.
Federal HR  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:23:49 AM(UTC)
Federal HR

mrgregory29 wrote:

I'm a Veteran and about to start my 2nd GS position in a few weeks.

The one I just got hired for I wasn't even interviewed the HR guy just called me and offered me the position.

Veterans are frequently hired in the federal government without interviews. Non-veterans are interviewed with more frequency. Personally I think every applicant should be interviewed. We have received quite a few poor performing veterans who were hired without an interview. There is no logic behind not conducting an interview.
15 years of federal HR experience.
Big Sarge  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:40:29 AM(UTC)
Big Sarge

Federal HR wrote:

Veterans are frequently hired in the federal government without interviews. Non-veterans are interviewed with more frequency. Personally I think every applicant should be interviewed. We have received quite a few poor performing veterans who were hired without an interview. There is no logic behind not conducting an interview.

Ok Federal HR, I have a few very fair questions for you since you have 15+ years of federal service experience. 

Please answer truthfully.

Have you ever witnessed corruption unfold right before your eyes where a qualified preference Vet was illegally passed over for a targeted nonvet to fill a position?

Are there actually more poor performing nonvets than there are Vets?

Do you know of many hiring managers who oppose vet preference laws?

Big Sarge2012-02-20 19:48:18
mrgregory29  
#11 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:48:38 AM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Federal HR wrote:
mrgregory29 wrote:

I'm a Veteran and about to start my 2nd GS position in a few weeks.

The one I just got hired for I wasn't even interviewed the HR guy just called me and offered me the position.

I agree. It was many times I was referred to the SO and not interviewed. I've always said, give me a interview I can sell myself. I think people would feel better if they atleast got an interview. If I got an interview and wasn't picked then so be it. Atleast I was given the chance.
Vettor  
#12 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:58:36 AM(UTC)
Vettor

Spoken by a true corrupt HR official Federal HR.  Veterans should not be forced to interview for a federal job.  Veterans have already been employed by the federal government.  Their experience speaks for itself.  To infer otherwise is discriminating against Veterans and wasting their time.  

Veteran unemployment to 0%.
mrgregory29  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 12:05:27 PM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Vettor wrote:
Spoken by a true corrupt HR official Federal HR.  Veterans should not be forced to interview for a federal job.  Veterans have already been employed by the federal government.  Their experience speaks for itself.  To infer otherwise is discriminating against Veterans and wasting their time.  

Lol. I couldn't hold it in anymore. That's to funny...
simchief  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:36:31 AM(UTC)
simchief

Let me throw something into this discussion; as a selecting official for 16-years, I never experienced, in my hiring actions, any discrimination against either veterans or non-veterans.

Quite to the contrary I requested and my supporting HRO ensured all applications were forwarded to me and all resumes were reviewed.

HRO separated applications into categories; addressed current rules on hiring, and how any preference applied.

I contacted applicants previous supervisors, if provided; if not I called previous work site and gleaned information about individuals.

First selection was made through a subject matter expert (SME) board, which ranked applicants resume by experience and ability to do the duties of the position.

Because I worked for an overseas command; we used telephone interviews, attended by SME board, we then applied an experience matrix on at least six job related work areas, rating life experiences and qualifications to determine a numerical score; we then briefed command of our selectee and why, then forwarded our primary selectee with three alternates to HRO.

HRO verified resume information; education, previous work experience, and certificates/licenses.

HRO contacted individual and verified if they were still interested; then entire recruitment package, to include rating matrix was forwarded through EEO office for comment and review; then and only then did HRO initiate hiring process.

I'll be shoveling along: <br />Digger O'Dell
TheFrederalGovt  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:47:45 AM(UTC)
TheFrederalGovt

Vettor wrote:
HAHA, Do you agree with this Big Sarge and Auroras? :)
hustonj  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:47:34 AM(UTC)
hustonj

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I joined these forums during my first year of employment as a civil servant.

During the first couple of months, I found a LOT of information I wasn't being shown anywhere else, and found a little spam/troll traffic that I had to wade thorugh to get that information.

Lately, the noise to signal ratio as gotten very negatively skewed.  If I was joining this forum today, I wouldn't be too likely to come back because the nuggets of useful information are that obscured.
Big Sarge  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:13:06 AM(UTC)
Big Sarge

hustonj wrote:
I joined these forums during my first year of employment as a civil servant.

During the first couple of months, I found a LOT of information I wasn't being shown anywhere else, and found a little spam/troll traffic that I had to wade thorugh to get that information.

Lately, the noise to signal ratio as gotten very negatively skewed.  If I was joining this forum today, I wouldn't be too likely to come back because the nuggets of useful information are that obscured.

Well, you can thank all the posers and moles planted here to suppress the truth.  If it weren't for them and a hand full of Vetbashers, this site would be even better than what it is.  Sorry you have to deal with all that nonsense. 

Vettor  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:17:28 AM(UTC)
Vettor

Big Sarge wrote:

Well, you can thank all the posers and moles planted here to suppress the truth.  If it weren't for them and a hand full of Vetbashers, this site would be even better than what it is.  Sorry you have to deal with all that nonsense. 

How many corrupt HR officials posing as real Veterans are we up to now anyway? 
Veteran unemployment to 0%.
Akiva  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:10:56 AM(UTC)
Akiva

Sarge/vettorauroras: you are 75% if the noise, posting the same nonsense from multiple accounts for months on end. Your sentence structure alone gives you away. You refuse to validate or support any of your theories or credentials and dismiss all evidence to the contrary as signs if corruption. To make things even more ridiculous, you accuse all those who disagree - even people like me who are preference vets and have never worked for the federal govt otherwise - as being plants, like any SO would be worried enough about your inane ramblings to come to some obscure forum and do that.

You have no support, no evidence, no credentials, and the only people who agree with you are your other accounts. You are not here to help - you're here in some ridiculous attempt to convince honorable veterans - something you are not - to waste their time, money, and reputations on your completely baseless conspiracy theory. If any one is a plant with an agenda, it's YOU. No one is buying it, no one believes you, and there are more than enough people here to shout down every crazy thing you post. It's nit working and it never will. Time to move on. This forum is here to provide valuable information, and even if what you're saying was true, you made your point. Shut up already.
martyb  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:29:28 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

You guys are nuts to keep wasting your time & breath on this ONE idiot troll with a severe psycho issue.  Besides the very obvious troll ID's, I have detected a few additional ones, some operating very passively for awhile, patiently building a higher post count in order to give themselves a level of seeming credibility.  This is ALL ONE GUY. 

This site unfortunately now has a much bigger problem than the Admins realize, and as great as it's been, is now on a crash course into history, if they don't get a handle on the problem.  If I were the owner of this site, I'd be pissed off enough that I would hire an expert to track down the idiot's identity, and would take out a restraining order against them, to keep them off the site.

Either that, or I'd go visit them & kick their ass....whichever appealed to me most at the moment.
martyb2012-02-21 17:36:28
Forum trolls to 0%
Rss Feed  Atom Feed