Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cheebaks  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2012 11:10:27 PM(UTC)
cheebaks

Groups: Registered

I have applied to numerous seasonal NPS/BLM jobs within the last few months. In the last 2-weeks 5-6 of my apps have been forwarded to selection officials. I have a few questions at this point:
1) How long after the app is forwarded to SO do you hear from them (on average for seasonal jobs)?
2) Do they also inform you if you have NOT been selected?
3) How do they notify you of the selection/refusal (email/USMail)?

My background: Police Officer (supervisor) who is about to retire (possibly) with 28 years on the job. Veteran (US Coast Guard) but with no veterans points (I served 4-years AD-no wars/campaign ribbons). B.A Sociology/Anthropolgy.

Any info is appreciated !

Fed1969  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:01:03 AM(UTC)
Fed1969

cheebaks wrote:
I have applied to numerous seasonal NPS/BLM jobs within the last few months. In the last 2-weeks 5-6 of my apps have been forwarded to selection officials. I have a few questions at this point:
1) How long after the app is forwarded to SO do you hear from them (on average for seasonal jobs)?
2) Do they also inform you if you have NOT been selected?
3) How do they notify you of the selection/refusal (email/USMail)?

My background: Police Officer (supervisor) who is about to retire (possibly) with 28 years on the job. Veteran (US Coast Guard) but with no veterans points (I served 4-years AD-no wars/campaign ribbons). B.A Sociology/Anthropolgy.

Any info is appreciated !

1. It varies from manager to manager, however most are contacted in less than 30 days, if they plan to contact you at all.

2. Sometimes you get a letter.  Most times you get nothing.

3. Job offers are normally by the phone from HR with follow-up in writing.

Hope this helps.
cheebaks  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:08:44 AM(UTC)
cheebaks

Thanks!
countrychick  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:07:02 AM(UTC)
countrychick

You didn't mention if you are applying locally.  If so you would have a better shot at getting hired.  Most seasonal jobs end up going to locals since they are need only short term and usually right away.  Not saying if this is the right way to do things, just seen it happen.
cheebaks  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:39:05 PM(UTC)
cheebaks

Now a new situation that I am seeking advice / information on: within the last 4-days I have received notification from 2-parks (by email) that I am on the "certs" list. The respective parks inquired if I am still interested/avaiable for the job (I obviously replied "yes" to both). What exactly does this mean? Is the "cert" list  a pool of applicants (the short list) or is it the list of actual potential new hires? Once again , any information is appreciated-THANKS!
countrychick  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:23:31 PM(UTC)
countrychick

I do not know exactly about your situation but what I have seen is that when a cert list comes back the supervisor or hiring manager will go through the candidates and see if they are still interested before taking the time to do anything further in the hiring process.  I guess it basically means you are still being considered or they wouldn't bother to ask so that seems like a good thing.  Smile
cheebaks  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:01:28 AM(UTC)
cheebaks

Thanks for the info. My situation involves application to numerous seasonal (summer 2012) positions for the NPS. The responses (confirmation of interest/avaibility) have arrived just a couple of days from my app. being "forwarded to selecting authority". I have been "referred to selecting authority" on more than a few applications but never received a response after that, so I am pleased to be getting some feedback! Thanks again!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed