Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Go to last post Go to first unread
Fred Miller  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 11:03:09 AM(UTC)
Fred Miller

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/24/2012(UTC)
Posts: 12




/* Style Definitions */
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";

Pardon the intrusion on this forum – but, I have nowhere to turn.  I am hoping an ex-SSA employee would be able to advise me on the following.

Need to Resolve:  Incorrect Social Security Number on Annual Statement BUT Correct Social Security Number on Card:

I am writing this on behalf of a friend of mine who is 65 years old and who
has ADD/OCD.  Her Problem:  Her Social Security card has her correct
name on it.  However, thirty years ago, she used her boyfriend's last name
on some paperwork she signed and now his last name is on her annual Social
Security statement.  She never married him, so this cannot be corrected by
submitting divorce paperwork. She admits that she made a wrong/stupid decision
to have somehow gotten his name on her annual Social Security statement.  She does not remember how it happened or what she signed.

Her federal and state taxes have been submitted each year to the
IRS/Department of Taxation using her correct name and Social Security number.  Refund checks have been sent to her from the federal and state taxation departments with her correct name on them.

However, each year her annual Social Security statement arrives with her ex-boyfriend's name on it and with her same Social Security number.

She has turned 65 this year and is afraid to contact Social Security
directly about this matter - for fear that she has done something illegal.
 She is also afraid that as a result of her blunder that she may lose all
her Social Security benefits.  I contacted local Social Security office
and they said to go into the office to rectify.  Since I do not know what
is in their records, I think it best to get solid advice BEFORE I accompany her
to the office.  I would like to help her, but do not know where to turn.  Any information you may have would be helpful -
or if you could point me in the right direction - that would be very much appreciated.  Thank you!

#2 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 10:49:23 PM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 110

Is your friend unmarried?  If so, tell her to just go into the office and explain her situation.  Make sure she brings a photo ID and her birth certificate.  She will not lose her benefits over a simple mistake.  The only way that could happen is if she was getting wife's benefits on the record of the person she was with at that time.  As long as she's getting her own SS benefits she will be fine.  You can also call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 with her on the phone and they will be able to go over her record with you and make you an appointment for the local office so they can fix her record.

Fred Miller  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2012 11:25:16 PM(UTC)
Fred Miller

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/24/2012(UTC)
Posts: 12

Terrific - thanks for your response.  Will do as you advised.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

This page was generated in 0.654 seconds.