Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DMan7702  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:44:38 AM(UTC)
DMan7702

Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but I was not able to locate anything useful.

It seems as though being hired as a DUSM is a little more complicated than other positions as you start at a 0082 and move into an 1811.

Using the Boston Locality Chart, this would be my best guess for pay increases. I would like to see if anyone has more insight into the process and how realistic the following is.

Hired as GS-7 (0082) with Boston Locality: $48,062
After 1 year GS-9 (0082) with Boston Locality: $53,599
After 2 Years GS-11 (1811) w/LEAP: $78,448
After 3 Years GS-12 (1811) w/LEAP: $94,028

I understand that you are eligible for these increases on the scale, but is that realistic after 3-4 years? It just seems that the jump is so large so quickly.

If any current DUSM's have any insight, it would be great to hear a little bit more about how realistic this is and if that is the correct path in general. 

Thank you in advance.

astanley  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:07:35 AM(UTC)
astanley

You got it chief.  That is the scale.  The Journeyman level for DUSM is at GS-12 so pay increases after that 3rd year are very small.
DMan7702  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:15:41 AM(UTC)
DMan7702

Hi astanley,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you know if these are guaranteed after a full year in each, up to GS-12? Or is it possible that you could move a step sideways along the scale instead of upward?

I guess my question is, after 3-4 years are the majority of DUSM's making near 100k? Or could someone be at GS-9 step 2 or 3 after 3-4 years? I know that the US Marshals website states that you are eligible after a year, but I wasn't sure if it was guaranteed.

Thanks again.
Scout0315  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:33:05 AM(UTC)
Scout0315

As in all career ladder positions, you must perform at a satisfactory level, and show potential to work at the next level. 

Your Supervisor, must recommend your advancement, it’s not 100% automatic.

That said for 95% of people it will feel automatic.

DMan7702 wrote:
Hi astanley,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you know if these are guaranteed after a full year in each, up to GS-12? Or is it possible that you could move a step sideways along the scale instead of upward?

I guess my question is, after 3-4 years are the majority of DUSM's making near 100k? Or could someone be at GS-9 step 2 or 3 after 3-4 years? I know that the US Marshals website states that you are eligible after a year, but I wasn't sure if it was guaranteed.

Thanks again.
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
BOPLT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:17:56 AM(UTC)
BOPLT

The only thing that can change your pay if you get a Quality Step increase for receiving a Outstanding Evaluation, Which would give you a step increase to the right, so you would get more money. Which is always good.LOLBOPLT2012-02-29 14:25:42
Rss Feed  Atom Feed