Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

9 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cisomeday  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:08:32 PM(UTC)
cisomeday

Groups: Registered

Here is to some good news this month.
KCCO
lawcat  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 12:41:17 AM(UTC)
lawcat

Delano Man Pleads Guilty to Lying to Investors in Bixby Energy Scam
7thSpace Interactive (press release)
Judge
Nelson will determine his sentence at a future hearing. This case is
the result of an investigation by the United States Postal Inspection Service, the Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigation Division, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

And Now…The Dirty Dozen
CPA Practice Advisor
This “Dirty Dozen” comes straight from the Internal Revenue Service,
with intentions of helping taxpayers protect themselves. The IRS
recently released its annual “Dirty Dozen” for 2012, a list of tax schemes that taxpayers should be aware of to avoid ...

Former Shelton CEO Admits Embezzling $1.7 Mil
Patch.com
Revenue Service in the amount of $1375627.83, which consists of the tax
loss of $741029, plus penalties and interest. This matter is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Internal Revenue Service – Criminal Investigation.

Former Nonprofit Director Pleads Guilty To Embezzling
Patch.com
The matter is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Internal Revenue Service – Criminal Investigation. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Christopher M. Mattei and Eric J. Glover.

NEW: Investment Banker Pleads Guilty to Running Ponzi Scheme
GoLocalProv
burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The case is being
prosecuted by Assistant US Attorney Luis M. Matos. The matter was investigated by agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Internal Revenue Service, Criminal Investigation.

Former owner of Bulkeley House sentenced to 1 year, 1 day
TheDay.com
He owes an additional $396000 to the IRS, and interest will continue to accrue. The case investigated by the Internal Revenue Service — Criminal Investigation and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Peter S. Jongbloed.

Former Binghamton man gets prison term for tax fraud
Press & Sun-Bulletin
BINGHAMTON
— A former Binghamton man was sentenced in federal court Friday to four years in prison for filing false tax refund claims with the Internal Revenue Service. Douglas M. Cavanaugh Jr., 46, was convicted in a November jury trial on all six ...

AlwaysAmused  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:38:53 AM(UTC)
AlwaysAmused

ACCEPTING THIS POSITION AS AN IRS-CI SPECIAL AGENT WAS A VERY POOR CAREER CHOICE FOR ME.

FLETC was much different than anticipated.  The feminine IRS supervisors there have something to prove and are on a serious power trip.  Anyone who showed an ounce of creativity, humor, or outside the box thinking was quickly targeted and reprimanded.  They intentionally put as much unnecessary stress on you as possible and threaten to send you home at every opportunity.  

There is no time you are “off the job” as long as you are at FLETC.  Anything you say and do is fair game for their ammunition, regardless as to whether it impacts or relates to your on-the-job duties.  The IRS tried to get me terminated from CITP because I fixed an abandoned bike for use by my classmates after receiving permission from FLETC security.  Their primary accusation?  I should have somehow known to ask the IRS specifically for permission, hence the unclaimed, ownerless bike was treated as stolen.  Fortunately for me the Feminist Powers don’t have control over FLETC decisions.  The level-headed Male leadership there saw through their bullcrap and kept me on board with a mild warning.  From that point forward, however, I was targeted by these Females.  

For those who do not know, the first 3 months is spent in CITP (Criminal Investigator Training Program) and the next 3 months is spent in SAIT (Special Agent Investigator Training).  I should have quit after CITP as there are other agencies you can transfer to after making it through that portion.  The SAIT is IRS specific which is where these females got their revenge.  

Because I excelled academically they could only try to attack and exaggerate anything to do with my character.  I passed every examination and practical exercise with no strikes against me (you are allowed 3 strikes).  Finally, the day before graduation (after my whole family travelled in from across the country for the graduation ceremony) they convinced their superiors to stand against me.  A termination or a forced resignation with no severance became my only option, though I had done nothing wrong.  Oh wait, being extra-studious I I did use a handout they gave us to study for a test.  Apparently we weren’t really suppose to use the handout, although they gave it to us 3 days in advance of the test.  After finding out later that we weren’t suppose to use it I exercised my integrity and came to them and told them I studied from the handout (even though other classmates had used it as well and had encouraged me not to say anything).  This became the final source of ammunition they were looking for.  My Integrity became my enemy that day and I learned that the IRS hypocritically gives lip service to that virtue.

I met at least 3 other IRS Agents at FLETC who got sick of the IRS and had come back to train for other agencies.  I don’t know their reasons but it seemed obvious that they were exposed to more of the same bullcrap in the field.

BOTTOM LINE:  You are probably taking a pay cut to work here and if it doesn’t work (and there is little to no recourse if it doesn’t) you are chancing being unemployed in today's economy.   I had a fantastic and enjoyable job before I applied for this position that I can’t return to.  The IRS will act like they are heaven sent and you are lucky to be working for them, and, because money is not an issue for them, they will readily discard you like a used rag if you rub any of them the wrong way.  Despite my every ounce of energy and focus I gave to this job, I became a victim of that risk.   I only write this as the fair warning I wish I’d had.
Larry David  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:02:33 AM(UTC)
Larry David

Wow! This should stir things up a little......Thumbs Up

Lessons learned....Refuse all handouts and beware of FLETC feminists!!
Larry David2012-03-01 13:03:18
dlrow  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:25:41 AM(UTC)
dlrow

You don't sound very amused.

AlwaysAmused wrote:

ACCEPTING THIS POSITION AS AN IRS-CI SPECIAL AGENT WAS A VERY POOR CAREER CHOICE FOR ME.

FLETC was much different than anticipated.  The feminine IRS supervisors there have something to prove and are on a serious power trip.  Anyone who showed an ounce of creativity, humor, or outside the box thinking was quickly targeted and reprimanded.  They intentionally put as much unnecessary stress on you as possible and threaten to send you home at every opportunity.  

There is no time you are “off the job” as long as you are at FLETC.  Anything you say and do is fair game for their ammunition, regardless as to whether it impacts or relates to your on-the-job duties.  The IRS tried to get me terminated from CITP because I fixed an abandoned bike for use by my classmates after receiving permission from FLETC security.  Their primary accusation?  I should have somehow known to ask the IRS specifically for permission, hence the unclaimed, ownerless bike was treated as stolen.  Fortunately for me the Feminist Powers don’t have control over FLETC decisions.  The level-headed Male leadership there saw through their bullcrap and kept me on board with a mild warning.  From that point forward, however, I was targeted by these Females.  

For those who do not know, the first 3 months is spent in CITP (Criminal Investigator Training Program) and the next 3 months is spent in SAIT (Special Agent Investigator Training).  I should have quit after CITP as there are other agencies you can transfer to after making it through that portion.  The SAIT is IRS specific which is where these females got their revenge.  

Because I excelled academically they could only try to attack and exaggerate anything to do with my character.  I passed every examination and practical exercise with no strikes against me (you are allowed 3 strikes).  Finally, the day before graduation (after my whole family travelled in from across the country for the graduation ceremony) they convinced their superiors to stand against me.  A termination or a forced resignation with no severance became my only option, though I had done nothing wrong.  Oh wait, being extra-studious I I did use a handout they gave us to study for a test.  Apparently we weren’t really suppose to use the handout, although they gave it to us 3 days in advance of the test.  After finding out later that we weren’t suppose to use it I exercised my integrity and came to them and told them I studied from the handout (even though other classmates had used it as well and had encouraged me not to say anything).  This became the final source of ammunition they were looking for.  My Integrity became my enemy that day and I learned that the IRS hypocritically gives lip service to that virtue.

I met at least 3 other IRS Agents at FLETC who got sick of the IRS and had come back to train for other agencies.  I don’t know their reasons but it seemed obvious that they were exposed to more of the same bullcrap in the field.

BOTTOM LINE:  You are probably taking a pay cut to work here and if it doesn’t work (and there is little to no recourse if it doesn’t) you are chancing being unemployed in today's economy.   I had a fantastic and enjoyable job before I applied for this position that I can’t return to.  The IRS will act like they are heaven sent and you are lucky to be working for them, and, because money is not an issue for them, they will readily discard you like a used rag if you rub any of them the wrong way.  Despite my every ounce of energy and focus I gave to this job, I became a victim of that risk.   I only write this as the fair warning I wish I’d had.
thisguyjc24  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:46:47 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

AlwaysAmused:

Do you think any of the potential new hires are actually going to believe that there was a group of female instructors that banded together against a new male agent for no reason? Then at the 11th hour they were finally able to convince their bosses to fire you for no reason? Come on guy.

thisguyjc24  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:51:55 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

Incidentally, it is true that there's no time you're off the job at FLETC in the sense that your actions outside of training can have an effect on your ability to keep your job. Get in a drunken brawl off hours? You're out. Get a DWI driving home one night? You're out. Get caught with a weapon in your room? Adios. There are a huge number of bad behaviors you can engage in that will get you canned at training. There's no room for error there.

Fixing a bike, definitely not one of them.

Most of the bad behavior that will get you fired in training will also get you fired as a agent by the way.

Scout0315  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:27:27 AM(UTC)
Scout0315

+1,

List of unapproved behaviors; running from security, skinny dipping in the turtle pond, any violation that question your integrity or judgement or lack of.

Lack of candor, is a dismissible offence at FLETC and the job.

Lack of candor, is not just lying, it can also be withholding of the truth.

thisguyjc24 wrote:
Incidentally, it is true that there's no time you're off the job at FLETC in the sense that your actions outside of training can have an effect on your ability to keep your job. Get in a drunken brawl off hours? You're out. Get a DWI driving home one night? You're out. Get caught with a weapon in your room? Adios. There are a huge number of bad behaviors you can engage in that will get you canned at training. There's no room for error there.

Most of the bad behavior that will get you fired in training will also get you fired as a agent by the way.
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
Lady CI  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:52:13 AM(UTC)
Lady CI

"Feminist Powers"..."level headed male leadership" sounds like my household LOL

drifter955  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:22:43 PM(UTC)
drifter955

+1 also!!

I very recently graduated from FLETC, and have nothing but good things to say about all the instructors there, including the females, and I am male. I had the female SAI, and she was amazing, and caring; we had one of our guys suffer a concussion while in training and she was at the hospital 5 minutes after he got there and stayed with him until he was released and drive him back. While there she reassured him that this would not cause him to be sent home.

On a different note, I am finishing my first week in the field, and holy cow I am busy!!! Doing a collateral request today, and a fraud referral meeting, after a busy first couple of days. I did my first "attic" yesterday, my SSA said I passed the test!! Really enjoying it!

Scout0315 wrote:
+1,

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>List of unapproved behaviors; running from security, skinny dipping in the turtle pond, any violation that question your integrity or judgement or lack of.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Lack of candor, is a dismissible offence at FLETC and the job.

</SPAN><o:p><FONT size=4 face=Arial> </o:p>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=4 face=Arial>Lack of candor, is not just lying, it can also be withholding of the truth.

thisguyjc24 wrote:

AlwaysAmused  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:41:53 PM(UTC)
AlwaysAmused

Whether you believe it or not, the truth is exactly as posted.  The worst of these assistant directors, (whose name is similar to Rocka*****, anyone remember her?) has since moved on - to the fortune of future students.  Anyone reading from my class can vouch for this story.

As Scout mentioned they really like to pound that "Poor Judgement" reasoning, that is exactly what they said about the abandoned bike and the key they pounded upon ousting me.  I was told specifically by the aforementioned that fixing the bike was the #1 reason for "poor judgement" that they utilized.  So I seriously warn that there are absolutely ridiculous reasons they will use.

As far as off-duty behavior, I was involved in nothing horrific yet when you rub one of them the wrong way they will cite ANYTHING they can which may include off-duty conversations said in humor but quoted in seriousness. 

I do not intend to break down anyone's hopes here.  I simply warn that it does not come without it's risks.  And you are on a probationary period for the first 3 years so that risk does not go away quickly.  Merit Systems Protection Board might help if you've been on the job for awhile, but at FLETC they can get rid of you for combing your hair the wrong way and you will have no recourse.  Even my local Senator could only help in hosting a meeting but cannot interfere with agency decisions.

thisguyjc24 wrote:
AlwaysAmused:

Do you think any of the potential new hires are actually going to believe that there was a group of female instructors that banded together against a new male agent for no reason? Then at the 11th hour they were finally able to convince their bosses to fire you for no reason? Come on guy.

Lady CI  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 12:40:48 AM(UTC)
Lady CI

Sounds exciting Drifter! Good Luck!

drifter955 wrote:
+1 also!!

I very recently graduated from FLETC, and have nothing but good things to say about all the instructors there, including the females, and I am male. I had the female SAI, and she was amazing, and caring; we had one of our guys suffer a concussion while in training and she was at the hospital 5 minutes after he got there and stayed with him until he was released and drive him back. While there she reassured him that this would not cause him to be sent home.

On a different note, I am finishing my first week in the field, and holy cow I am busy!!! Doing a collateral request today, and a fraud referral meeting, after a busy first couple of days. I did my first "attic" yesterday, my SSA said I passed the test!! Really enjoying it!

Scout0315 wrote:

+1,

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>List of unapproved behaviors; running from security, skinny dipping in the turtle pond, any violation that question your integrity or judgement or lack of.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.35pt 0.9pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 5.5pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Lack of candor, is a dismissible offence at FLETC and the job.

</SPAN><o:p><FONT size=4 face=Arial> </o:p>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" =Msonormal><FONT size=4 face=Arial>Lack of candor, is not just lying, it can also be withholding of the truth.

thisguyjc24 wrote:

thisguyjc24  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 2:26:02 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

AlwaysAmused wrote:

As far as off-duty behavior, I was involved in nothing horrific yet when you rub one of them the wrong way they will cite ANYTHING they can which may include off-duty conversations said in humor but quoted in seriousness.  

Yeah see right there, and you prior posting about off duty activities, makes me think there was a series of events that led to this. My real problem with you is that you started off by saying accepting the position was your mistake. In reality, pushing the boundaries of the rules is where you went wrong.

I'm pretty sure Scout, I and the other agents on the board have done a good job warning people about the dangers of breaking the rules. We dont' need any help.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors. I hope things work out for you.
thisguyjc24  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 2:27:57 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

drifter955 wrote:
I did my first "attic" yesterday, my SSA said I passed the test!! Really enjoying it!

Ok I give up. What the heck is this???
AlwaysAmused  
#15 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 3:54:18 AM(UTC)
AlwaysAmused

I know, my being ousted would make more sense if there was more to the story, or a "series of events".  I have never quit puzzling over their reasoning, but I know that Rock-a-bich was out to get me.  I don't blame you for wanting to defend your agency, after all they are your life blood now.  But if you consider fixing an old abandoned bike for my classmates as "pushing the boundaries" then you would make a good anal supervisor.

My whole point about being off-duty is that nothing is safe.  In normal jobs you can joke around with friends on your own time without worrying about the Gestapo hunting you down if your joke is misinterpreted.  Not at FLETC.  

You do need help in "warning others about the dangers" because I was not adequately warned and I fear others may not be either.  But thank you for your well wishes.  The IRS wants to think that they control your future but I know that mine is still in my hands.  I just regret the setback of taking on this position.
Had I devoted the same energy that I put into SAIT to any other avenue in my life I would be miles ahead.

thisguyjc24 wrote:
AlwaysAmused wrote:

Yeah see right there, and you prior posting about off duty activities, makes me think there was a series of events that led to this. My real problem with you is that you started off by saying accepting the position was your mistake. In reality, pushing the boundaries of the rules is where you went wrong.

I'm pretty sure Scout, I and the other agents on the board have done a good job warning people about the dangers of breaking the rules. We dont' need any help.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors. I hope things work out for you.

thisguyjc24  
#16 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 6:04:39 AM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

Ok but are literally thousands of people who follow the rules and graduate from FLETC each year who don't seem to need this additional warning.
drifter955  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 7:12:39 AM(UTC)
drifter955

I participated in a SW yesterday and was called upon to crawl around in an attic for a bit. My SSA was about to go up and realized that they don't do that, the new guy does so up I went!!
thisguyjc24 wrote:
drifter955 wrote:
I did my first "attic" yesterday, my SSA said I passed the test!! Really enjoying it!

Ok I give up. What the heck is this???
Dave22  
#18 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 8:11:36 AM(UTC)
Dave22

Low man on the totem pole can be fun from time to time. Way to get in there and get your hands dirty.
thisguyjc24  
#19 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 12:38:03 PM(UTC)
thisguyjc24

drifter955 wrote:
I participated in a SW yesterday and was called upon to crawl around in an attic for a bit. My SSA was about to go up and realized that they don't do that, the new guy does so up I went!!

Ah ok. I gotcha. We had a guy come through a ceiling doing that once. Did you find anything?
drifter955  
#20 Posted : Friday, March 02, 2012 8:19:01 PM(UTC)
drifter955

Unfortunately there was nothing for the case, nor anything worthy of interesting discussion up there, in a small safe we found elsewhere though...........

Nor did I fall through the roof, lol.
thisguyjc24 wrote:

drifter955 wrote:

Ah ok. I gotcha. We had a guy come through a ceiling doing that once. Did you find anything?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed