Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nerdles  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:06:04 AM(UTC)
Nerdles

Groups: Registered

This is my first post as a member. I've searched the forums but can't find the answer to this and would really appreciate some informed advice.

I'm a current fed, in a competitive Civil Service (but non-GS) position. Soon, I will very likely be offered a GS position in another agency. The position includes the pay grade one grade above my current GS equivalent. I'm sure the new place will offer me that next-higher grade.

What's the highest step of that grade they can offer me?

Say I'm currently a GS 11 step 3. They'll offer me a 12 for sure. Can I ask for a 12-3 or even a 12-5? Is there a limit? (My gut says it would be obnoxious to ask for a step 10.)

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this has been covered before.
the rock99  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 7:59:51 AM(UTC)
the rock99

you can ask for whatever you want, however you can also have the job offer yanked.  What you can expect to be brought in at the step that is closest to, without being under what you are currently making.  If it is actually a promotion then you would add two steps to that and that is where you should end up.  In your example of being and 11-3, you would look at an 11-5, you should end up at a 12-1
the rock992012-03-08 16:05:26
Nerdles  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:36:21 AM(UTC)
Nerdles

Thanks for the reply. Must admit I'm still confused, though: You say add two steps to get 11 step 5. OK, with you so far. But wouldn't one entire grade above that be a 12 step 5?

And what's the most they're legally allowed to offer? If I have time in grade as an 11 and have made it clear I won't leave my current job for less than a 12 (minimum), could they (if they wanted) offer me a 12-5?
martyb  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:03:17 AM(UTC)
martyb

They won't "want to".  Best advice to you is, if you want the job, don't get greedy or you will most likely find yourself keeping your current job.  
Forum trolls to 0%
the rock99  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:13:44 AM(UTC)
the rock99

Nerdles wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Must admit I'm still confused, though: You say add two steps to get 11 step 5. OK, with you so far. But wouldn't one entire grade above that be a 12 step 5?

And what's the most they're legally allowed to offer? If I have time in grade as an 11 and have made it clear I won't leave my current job for less than a 12 (minimum), could they (if they wanted) offer me a 12-5?

There are always exceptions but as a general rule when you get promoted from one grade (GS) to another the two step rule applies.  google "two step rule" and you will find all kinds of information.

Nerdles  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 9:09:01 PM(UTC)
Nerdles

Rock99, thanks for that suggestion, which I acted upon. The OPM page on the two-step rule is absolutely baffling. It makes the instructions for the IRS 1040 form look simple.

But then I asked another fed I know, and she explained it clearly and succinctly: If the new job is a promotion to a higher grade, they have to give you the step of that grade whose salary is at least equal to two above your current grade/step, including locality. (Why couldn't OPM just say that?) In my case, as you indicated, step 1 is well above that threshold.

The one kink in all this is that the OPM page seems to say the rule only applies to feds current in GS positions. I'm not; I'm in a DoD competitive Civil Service paybanded position. That said, the new agency (not being used to crazy systems like the latter) may go by the two-step rule, and I probably won't argue, since step 1 would still be a big promotion.

Marty B: I'm not greedy, but I'm not desperate, either.

Nerdles2012-03-09 05:18:18
Knight  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 3:27:38 AM(UTC)
Knight

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

paybands muddy the water but the two step still applies. They will take your salary amount, figure out what a step would equal and add two of them to your pay. Then they go to the 12 chart and find the step equal or higher.

Congrats and good luck.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed