Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Air Reserve Technicians

Air reserve technicians, commonly referred to as ARTs, are a nucleus of managers, planners and trainers who have knowledge and expertise to smooth Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) units' transition from a peacetime to a wartime environment. They provide management continuity, equipment maintenance and training support to help keep their units combat ready.

Air reserve technicians carry dual status, working as full-time civil service employees for the Air Force and as military members in the same AFRC units where they work as civilians and performing the same job. A civil servant or public servant is a civilian career public sector employee working for a government department or agency. In their civilian role, air reserve technicians provide full-time support throughout the month for their units. In the AFRC, air reserve technicians participate with other reservists on weekends and annual active-duty tours.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ken  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:05:18 AM(UTC)
Ken

Groups: Registered

I took a job as a GS-4 1702 series for the Navy as a civilian. I would like to take a position one day as an ART since I am a TSgt in the AF reserves. By taking this position did I just limit myself? I would like to start applying for GS-7 -9  art positions as they open. I have a BA and my AFSC is the equivalent of a 1702 series. I have been told that I cant jump the GS scale but why cant I if I have the experience (from military)  and the education? Can some one please clarify this for me? 
lucabrasi  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:41:02 PM(UTC)
lucabrasi

You can apply to your hearts content. Being that you are already a reservist, you have your foot in the door at a unit already so hit them up and find out what positions they have open.

MC5Wes  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2012 11:53:02 AM(UTC)
MC5Wes

In Northwest Florida. Do you see alot of GS 5-7 ART jobs? Most are WG. The only ones I ever see are the Orderly Room ones.
geo8909  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 10:04:43 AM(UTC)
geo8909

No you did not limit yourself.  If a GS-07 or above comes open you can apply as an external candidate and then not be limited by time in grade.  As an internal candidate, its true you can't skip from a GS-4 to a GS-07. 
Ken  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:20:39 AM(UTC)
Ken

Do I have to wait for my year probation to be over or can I immediately start applying for and Art Position? Also since I am I reservist I use tricare reserve select. some one told me today that since I am a federal employee with the navy that I cant use tricare I have to use the one offered by my federal job.. Ist that true cause I never heard of such a thing. 

Milgl  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:43:21 PM(UTC)
Milgl

That is a false statement... As a retired Active duty mbr..I have tricare for life and use no federal/gov't health care benefits. You can have both, but Tricare is the second insurance used!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed