Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed1969  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2012 11:12:06 PM(UTC)
Fed1969

Groups: Registered

Senate amendment would extend pay freeze through 2013

www.federalnewsradio.com%2F117%2F2782484%2FSenate-amendment-would-extend-pay-freeze-through-2013&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&node_type=link&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=640" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> 

Monday - 3/12/2012, 6:14am  ET

A plan that began in the House to extend the pay freeze on federal workers has found support in the Senate.

Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) introduced an amendment on March 8 to the Senate Highway Bill ,S. 1813, that would extend the federal pay freeze through 2013.

Roberts has proposed the extension as part of a larger special deficit reduction trust fund that would also extend expired tax provisions and promote gas exploration on federal lands.

In February, the House approved a bill to extend the pay freeze, which is due to expire on Dec. 31, 2012, to the end of 2013. The pay freeze extension proposed by Roberts applies to all federal employees, including members of Congress and legislative branch employees. The pay freeze is now in its second year.

"I believe this amendment is an important first step in growing our economy," Roberts said in a press release. "It contains many, but not all, of the critical tax relief provisions that should be extended to protect families and businesses from higher taxes. Until we reform the tax code, Congress should extend expired tax provisions."

The chief aims of Roberts' amendment include:

• extending tax deductions for college tuition.

• promoting offshore energy development, by allowing gas exploration on federal lands and supporting the Keystone XL Pipeline.

• extending energy tax incentives, such as tax credits for energy-efficient homes and alternative fuel vehicles.

• extending expired business-related tax credits and incentives.

As an offset, the amendment includes a special deficit reduction trust fund consisting of the pay freeze extension, savings from energy production incentives and a refundable child tax provision.

"In summary, this amendment does not add to the deficit," Roberts said. "It contains robust energy production incentives and restores expired individual and business tax relief provisions. Most of all, it promotes economic growth and provides much needed consistency as these tax extenders simply do not exist at this present time, and only for this year, everybody knows, 2013, we have the obligation and responsibility to really go into and dig into a tax reform plan that will certainly serve our nation in much better shape in regards to tax policy."

The day before Roberts introduced his amendment calling for the pay freeze extension, the American Federation of Government Employees released a set of figures detailing thenegative impact the extension would have on federal employees at different pay grades. A GS-5, for example, with an annual base salary of $31,315, would lose a total of $3,842 over three years if the freeze is extended to the end of 2013. For the same period, a GS-9 with an annual base salary of $47,448 would lose $5,822.

grieveit  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 9:59:11 AM(UTC)
grieveit

makes snse and the $$ are gonna be put to good use
martyb  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 10:54:06 AM(UTC)
martyb

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

grieveit wrote:

makes snse and the $$ are gonna be put to good use

maxketter/lacycs etc. etc.....why are you back here with yet another ID, on a federal employee focused website, when you and everybody else knows you are not now and never have been a federal employee.  You are retired military, and from what I can tell, extremely fortunate to have somehow lasted enough years in the military to be collecting a retirement check.  Why do you think you deserve your pay, but not other people???  There's a word for that, it starts with an H.
Forum trolls to 0%
The HalfBreed  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 10:57:59 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hoe ? 

RETIRED 12/19/2012 !!! Good Bye Tension !!! Hello Pension !!!
grieveit  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 12:29:49 PM(UTC)
grieveit

Looks like we have more than 1 thug on this board
oktoots  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 1:24:58 PM(UTC)
oktoots

grieveit wrote:

Looks like we have more than 1 thug on this board

Max, looks like you are not denying who you are. You troll all over this board and make snap judgements of folks asking for help with serious issues. Without having personal knowledge or expertise (having never worked for the Federal govt., "hiring manager", indeed), you spout idiotic statements like, "he has no EEO case and will be labeled a malcontent." Pretty nervy when you haven't got a clue, sitting safe behind your keyboard in Virginia.
multiple identities to 0%
Auroras  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 2:15:35 PM(UTC)
Auroras

martyb wrote:

when you and everybody else knows you are not now and never have been a federal employee.  You are retired military

Another poser anti-Veteran troll trying to say Veterans have not served their country honorably and are not federal employees in doing so.  Another troll exposed! 
fygar  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:42:04 AM(UTC)
fygar

I think if we had a dime for every Republican Congressman who hawked some bill that gutted Federal pay and benefits we'd have paid off the deficit ten times over.

They talk about how these bills don't add to the deficit, but at the same time their inaction with tackling the real problems that are adding to the deficit, like entitlements and the Bush Era Tax Cuts, continues to add to the deficit.

So, they sound like they are doing something and talking big when in reality they are doing NOTHING.

fygar2012-03-16 19:02:33
nodog  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:48:59 PM(UTC)
nodog

Seems as though now they will be going after "Career Ladder" promotions now. An article from the Associated Press:   http://www.news10.net/news/article/185256/339/Thousands-of-federal-workers-getting-automatic-promotions  . The writer makes it appears as though there were a sudden unexplained increase in Career Ladder promotions. It appears to me that this increase occured right at the same time frame as the demise of the NSPS pay system. As we all know NSPS didn't allow for Career Ladders so it's only natural that there would be an increase in the number of Career Ladder promotions when NSPS was taken out and the GS system was put back in place.
DK_in_CO  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:47:38 PM(UTC)
DK_in_CO

FederalNewsRadio.com News Bulletin.

Forget about the 2013 proposal - now it looks like 2015 is the new target date.
The HalfBreed  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:17:52 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

nodog wrote:
.....It appears to me that this increase occured right at the same time frame as the demise of the NSPS pay system. As we all know NSPS didn't allow for Career Ladders so it's only natural that there would be an increase in the number of Career Ladder promotions when NSPS was taken out and the GS system was put back in place.

Absolutely !
There was a chart on MSNBC yesterday (3/19) that had those exact same figures.
It (increases in pay/promotions) spiked up in 2009/2010 and was associated with the demise of the NSPS.
nodog  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:02:08 PM(UTC)
nodog

Wow! The attack continues. Check this article out. http://www.fedsmith.com/article/3351/gop-budget-proposal-would-freeze-federal.html  Why is it we continue to take hit after hit yet everyone of the PRIVATE sector employees around me are being paid 20-25% MORE than me? Then to add insult to injury my job duties far exceed what they are responsible for and my skill set must cover several different position descriptions. The only fortunante thing for me is that I have decided I'm going to retire at the end of December. It's going to be interesting to see how the vacancy is going to be managed or if I will be asked to come back as a contractor. That has happened several times already and each time the person took a pay INCREASE ranging from 18 to 26%. The only downside was that they recieve a total of four weeks "Personal Time Leave" and even that was increased to six weeks after two years. I can't see myself coming back as a contractor as I think the job may be starting to have an effect on my health at this point and fortunately I didn't live above my means all these years. It's time to put this old plow horse out to pasture the job is no longer fun and the challenges and roadblocks put in the way have increased to the point that we don't have time to do the job and are just putting out fires. I've got to hand it to the Civil Servants for continuing to do the job over the years with less people, fewer resources and little training.
mtg2005  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:27:01 AM(UTC)
mtg2005

Well nodog, you can't "drown it in a bathtub" if people actually like civil servants and understand the things you point out which were true in my agency too. So you demonize civil servants and make it sound as if they are ripping everyone off. The pity is how open people are to the con; makes it a piece of cake. But I do wonder what caliber of people they can attract after they get finished with the hatchet job. Maybe they just plan on putting partisan hacks in place of scientists, engineers, etc.

I retired at the end of 2010.
The HalfBreed  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:21:28 AM(UTC)
The HalfBreed

Rss Feed  Atom Feed