Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eternalbbfan  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2012 4:17:26 AM(UTC)
eternalbbfan

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/9/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2

I am currently a Grad Student at UWF majoring in Contracts and Acquisition Management.  My graduation date is spring 2013 and I would really like to work for the Federal Government.  I've tried applying for SCEP programs and have been told by most agencies that those programs have been suspended and that all hires not start as STEP and then transition to SCEP after 640 hours have been met and they are impressed enough with your work.  I am attending school online while working so relocating is not an issue.  However STEP give you no benefits is not for a finite amount of time.  I am married with kids and cannot be without insurance and at least the hope of a permanent job.  Any suggestions other than STEP?
 
 
angiec0321  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:03:09 PM(UTC)
angiec0321

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/14/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3

Hi esteralbbfan,

I don't have much information for you but I wanted to get in contact with you as I am in the same boat.  I'm making a transition in my career from IT to Contract Management.  I started taking classes at American Graduate University and am trying to find an entry-level Contracting position.  I've found a couple government student programs to apply for but am not meeting their qualifications.  Also, I have found a lot of job postings on the NCMA site, a few being entry level. 


eternalbbfan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:11:47 PM(UTC)
eternalbbfan

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/9/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2

Now more then ever it does seem to be a brick wall.  I did have an interview for a STEP position, and I'm willing to relocate, but I cant move my family for low low money, no benefits, and no promise of an actual job.
angiec0321  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:15:54 PM(UTC)
angiec0321

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/14/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3

What qualifications do you have? Certs?  I have a 4 year degree and a good technical background but have only been taking ACQ classes since Nov which means I do not have any DAWIA certifications.  I'm thinking maybe I'm trying to apply for these positions too soon?
angiec0321  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:27:04 PM(UTC)
angiec0321

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/14/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3

Also, an FYI for you if you didn't see this posting already:  http://www.usajobs.gov/G...Details/311703500.  Ends today.

Big Sarge  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:01:08 AM(UTC)
Big Sarge

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2010(UTC)
Posts: 741


eternalbbfan wrote:
I am married with kids and cannot be without insurance and at least the hope of a permanent job.  Any suggestions other than STEP?
 
The STEP program like a few others was severly abused by law evading federal managers who used it to bypass qualified Veterans.  I suggest you should sign up for military service.  Uncle Sam will provide all the insurance you and your family need.  Job security would be the least of your worries. 
MFTECFH (Members for the Elimination of Corruption in Federal Hiring)
Auroras  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:09:36 AM(UTC)
Auroras

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/7/2011(UTC)
Posts: 231

Big Sarge wrote:

 
The STEP program like a few others was severly abused by law evading federal managers who used it to bypass qualified Veterans.  I suggest you should sign up for military service.  Uncle Sam will provide all the insurance you and your family need.  Job security would be the least of your worries. 


Great advice Big Sarge.  I will add to that, if I may sir.  May I?


That programs like STEP and SCEP are not only highly anti-Veteran, but also very similar to already extinct through litigation corrupt law evading anti-Veteran crony hiring programs like FCIP and Outstanding Scholar program.  The Outstanding Scholar program crony hires were neither outstanding or scholarly, but was a corrupt hiring program looking to hire non-Veterans and evade lawfully hiring Veterans.  There were many college student crony hires made through these now illegal programs, and through proper litigation by Veterans, these sissy backdoor programs were exterminated permanently. 

Pathways is next.  Learn to love it.  Litigation rules now.    
oktoots  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:36:28 AM(UTC)
oktoots

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/17/2009(UTC)
Posts: 2,485

Aurorass, have you ever litigated? If not, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously? And talk about a "sissy backdoor". That's what your whole agenda is about. May I, sir? 

multiple identities to 0%
Crawdaddy  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:46:50 AM(UTC)
Crawdaddy

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/26/2012(UTC)
Posts: 49

Hi eternal, one internship that may interest you is the Navy NACC 1102 Contract Specialist intern program.  You start as either a GS7 or 9 and by the end of the program 2 or 3 years later you are a GS12.  It is a full federal job with the associated benefits etc. and leads to a permanent position with the Navy at the end of the program.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.
MT Joiner  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:24:06 PM(UTC)
MT Joiner

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/7/2012(UTC)
Posts: 368


eternalbbfan wrote:
I am currently a Grad Student at UWF majoring in Contracts and Acquisition Management.  My graduation date is spring 2013 and I would really like to work for the Federal Government.  I've tried applying for SCEP programs and have been told by most agencies that those programs have been suspended and that all hires not start as STEP and then transition to SCEP after 640 hours have been met and they are impressed enough with your work.  I am attending school online while working so relocating is not an issue.  However STEP give you no benefits is not for a finite amount of time.  I am married with kids and cannot be without insurance and at least the hope of a permanent job.  Any suggestions other than STEP?
 




I graduated this past summer and was told that SCEP was under some kind
of lawsuit attack from vets.  I'm not sure if STEP is the same.  I know I
have been applying to federal jobs ever since about two months before
my graduation with absolutely no luck whatsoever.  I am consistently
ranked in the best qualified category, and when scores are released I am
generally in the high 90s or at 100.  90% of the time I get emails
notifying me that only preference applicants were referred.  I have
basically given up on federal jobs and am focusing more on the private
sector.  I even met with a couple of current federal hiring
personnel/recruiters at a federal career fair and they said basically
all federal jobs are going to preference applicants as of now.  It's not
worth the time applying if your application is not going to be even looked at ever.
Big Sarge  
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:10:48 PM(UTC)
Big Sarge

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2010(UTC)
Posts: 741



MT Joiner wrote:


I graduated this past summer and was told that SCEP was under some kind of lawsuit attack from vets. 
 
 
Of course it is! Big smile 
 
If there was no circumventing of Vet preference law by evading hiring managers, there wouldn't be any lawsuits.
 
MT Joiner wrote:
 
 I am consistently
ranked in the best qualified category, and when scores are released I am generally in the high 90s or at 100.
 
 
Being a college graduate alone doesn't make you the best qualified nor more qualified than a preference applicant.  I'm sure much was promised to you during all your time spent in college but the days of getting a free pass through corrupt channels of bypassing qualified honorable Vets are long gone.  Any such action will be faced with litigation.
 
MT Joiner wrote:

I have
basically given up on federal jobs and am focusing more on the private
sector. I even met with a couple of current federal hiring
personnel/recruiters at a federal career fair and they said basically
all federal jobs are going to preference applicants as of now.  It's not
worth the time applying if your application is not going to be even looked at ever.
 
Have you considered signing up for military sevice? That's your ticket to earning preference. Wink
 

Big Sarge2012-03-18 03:44:37
MFTECFH (Members for the Elimination of Corruption in Federal Hiring)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.142 seconds.